Cheese making.

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
Last week I started making my own cheese. I've been wanting to do that for a long time. My first try will be ready when I get home tonight. I don't know what kind of cheese it is called, it's very very basic:

Milk, Cultured Buttermilk, rennet, salt. And real animal rennet, not this vegetarian rennet bull shit. Make the curds, throw out the whey, press it into the form, cure it in the fridge. It will be cheese tonight and I can eat it or coat it in wax and age it a few weeks. This first batch I am planning to not age. It was my first try and it only went so-so. The 2nd attempt which i am curing for two weeks instead of one isn't ready yet.

Now that I've gotten a general understanding, I'm going to try some Farmhouse Cheddar. I innoculated my sterile milk with the mesophilic starter culture early this morning. Can't wait to see how that goes when i get home.

I love doing this kind of thing.

Very Coolth! Please post pics and a review!

Last week I started making my own cheese. I've been wanting to do that for a long time. My first try will be ready when I get home tonight. I don't know what kind of cheese it is called, it's very very basic:

Milk, Cultured Buttermilk, rennet, salt. And real animal rennet, not this vegetarian rennet bull shit. Make the curds, throw out the whey, press it into the form, cure it in the fridge. It will be cheese tonight and I can eat it or coat it in wax and age it a few weeks. This first batch I am planning to not age. It was my first try and it only went so-so. The 2nd attempt which i am curing for two weeks instead of one isn't ready yet.

Now that I've gotten a general understanding, I'm going to try some Farmhouse Cheddar. I innoculated my sterile milk with the mesophilic starter culture early this morning. Can't wait to see how that goes when i get home.

Try some of the curds...whenever I am in Wisconsin, I pick up some of those squeaky little devils...they are often salty, but a treat none the less.

Try some of the curds...whenever I am in Wisconsin, I pick up some of those squeaky little devils...they are often salty, but a treat none the less.

Yeah Squeeky Cheese. I get it whenever I'm there as well. Over at the Brat Stop.

Yeah Squeeky Cheese. I get it whenever I'm there as well. Over at the Brat Stop.

How'd your cheese turn out?

Tried my first brick of cheese yesterday. It was pretty decent. The starter was only buttermilk so it was a very mild flavor. I even put a few pieces on a burger patty and it melted like it should. The 2nd batch from the same recipe, I'm going to cure for 2 weeks and then wax it for aging. Meanwhile, I'm planning on making some Farmhouse Cheddar tomorrow.

a couple of guys from Wisconsin come out every spring

and stay on the property for the spring goose season

they always load us up on fresh cheese

very cool

take pics!!!

Btw, I've never ever had success posting pictures here.
If they are uploaded to the internet already, copy the URL and paste it between image tags...

If it is on you computer, you have to use the "Manage Attatchment" radio button in the "Addition Options" box below the "Submit Reply" & "Preview Post" radio buttons on the "Reply to Thread" page (the page you go to when you quote someone or hit the "Go Advanced" button to post.

If you have an previously uploaded image...like from Photobucket (or hotlinking :eusa_shhh:)...use this method:

101ca47e-ff82-4368-bb85-01d2ed55dfee_zps3c3d8cb3.jpg

If the image is on your computer...attach it using this method:

6c4353bd-1f92-482a-8956-24bbd2eca2df_zpsee12f6c7.jpg

I am interested in cheese...but I haven't yet mastered my sourdough, completely. Once I get that down, I may branch out into cheese.

Ok, got my first batch of Farmer's Cheddar sitting in the press. 10 ponuds of pressure for 10 minutes, then flip over and 20 pounds for 10 minutes, then flip again, then 50 pounds for 12 hours.

In a few minutes, I'll attempt to post pictures.

Yay!!

Do what I do...just copy the picture link, then click on the little square mountain up above the text box, and past the link in there.

I've been told a million times that my way is obsolete and there are easier ways to do it, but it works for me.

Yay!!

Do what I do...just copy the picture link, then click on the little square mountain up above the text box, and past the link in there.

I've been told a million times that my way is obsolete and there are easier ways to do it, but it works for me.

I've never been able to get that to work for me.

Forum List

Back