Cheese making.

So I opened my first attempt at Blue Cheese today, after the minimum age requirements and here's the result:

The flavor is exactly the way it should be.

The texture is similar to parmesan, maybe a tad softer but still way too hard for Blue Cheese.

I might have solved my texture problem with the cheddar. I wasn't using enough rennet. I made two pounds of cheddar yesterday and took it out of the press this morning. It looks right this time. Uniform color and texture. A little soft still but it needs to air dry for a couple of days yet. I'll know in 4 months.

I might have solved my texture problem with the cheddar. I wasn't using enough rennet. I made two pounds of cheddar yesterday and took it out of the press this morning. It looks right this time. Uniform color and texture. A little soft still but it needs to air dry for a couple of days yet. I'll know in 4 months.

OK, I'll experiment a bit and try more rennet. I've always had worse results with more rennet so started using less.
Congratulations on the bleu! I'd love to try it, alas...

Made another Blue Cheese yesterday. I put it in the cradle in my little wine refrigerator. I keep all the cheeses that I make with the blue mold separate from the other cheeses. Unfortunately that little refrigerator dries out the air real bad. That is why my blue cheese had the hardness of parmesan.

This time I put it in the cradle and I set the cradle inside a tupperware container, and put THAT in the fridge. Hopefully this will hold the moisture in the cheese and prevent it from drying out. Just in case the cheese is supposed to breathe, I'll be opening it up to turn it daily anyway so that should take care of that. I'll know in November.

Made another Blue Cheese yesterday. I put it in the cradle in my little wine refrigerator. I keep all the cheeses that I make with the blue mold separate from the other cheeses. Unfortunately that little refrigerator dries out the air real bad. That is why my blue cheese had the hardness of parmesan.

This time I put it in the cradle and I set the cradle inside a tupperware container, and put THAT in the fridge. Hopefully this will hold the moisture in the cheese and prevent it from drying out. Just in case the cheese is supposed to breathe, I'll be opening it up to turn it daily anyway so that should take care of that. I'll know in November.

I usually keep a container with water in the bottom of my cheese aging fridge. That seems to help keep the humidity a bit higher.

I usually keep a container with water in the bottom of my cheese aging fridge. That seems to help keep the humidity a bit higher.

It works for my main fridge, but not for the little wine fridge that I keep my blues in.

I just rotated the new blue moments ago and the whole inside of the tupperware container had droplets of condensation. I think it will work just fine this time.

Lol, the problem is that I won't know for sure until November or so.

I'm not interested in making cheese but I do enjoy cutting the cheese.

Some cheeses are very pungent. When a cheese ages, it is covered in wax or it makes it's own rind. When the cheese is ready to be served, the coating is cut through and the odor of the cheese is released. That is the origin of that phrase, in case you weren't already aware.

It works for my main fridge, but not for the little wine fridge that I keep my blues in.

I just rotated the new blue moments ago and the whole inside of the tupperware container had droplets of condensation. I think it will work just fine this time.

Yeah, there's that time lag. I have a notebook where I detail what I've done. My problem is, when I make cheese about 5 times a week, by the time I've discovered something that does not work, I have a whole mess to deal with. I'm fortunate my climate is cool enough that I can put the waxed cheeses in a cool place and not completely fill my aging 'fridge.

Yeah, there's that time lag. I have a notebook where I detail what I've done. My problem is, when I make cheese about 5 times a week, by the time I've discovered something that does not work, I have a whole mess to deal with. I'm fortunate my climate is cool enough that I can put the waxed cheeses in a cool place and not completely fill my aging 'fridge.

Have you ever smoked any of your cheddar?

Oh, yes! Not only makes a very tasty cheese, but the heat treatment seems to greatly improve the texture. You just have to be careful not to let it get too warm, or it will melt all over your smoker. It also "sweats" oil/grease, so make sure to allow it to cool thoroughly before waxing it. Excellent stuff, smoked cheddar. I also smoke mozzarella. (We're having a dish using smoked mozzie for dinner, as a matter-of-fact!)

Oh, yes! Not only makes a very tasty cheese, but the heat treatment seems to greatly improve the texture. You just have to be careful not to let it get too warm, or it will melt all over your smoker. It also "sweats" oil/grease, so make sure to allow it to cool thoroughly before waxing it. Excellent stuff, smoked cheddar. I also smoke mozzarella. (We're having a dish using smoked mozzie for dinner, as a matter-of-fact!)

Would you mind giving some direction on how to go about it for someone trying it the first time?

Would you mind giving some direction on how to go about it for someone trying it the first time?

I use a Big Chief smoker. Temp control is difficult but if you monitor you cheese, it should be no problem. Cheddar is OK cut into chunks, 2x2, or so. Mozzarella, I make into approximately 1 lb balls, put them into elastic nets (like those used for sausages) and hang in the smoker. I wax my smoked cheddar in black wax.

I'm excited. I think I've solved the probl with my blue cheese. Before, it was dry and had the hardness almost matching Parmesan. It was the mini wine fridge I was using.

I put the cheese in its cradle, put the whole thing inside a Tupperware container with a lid and put THAT into the fridge. It is probably 100% humidity which is higher than the minimum 85% recommended but I think it will be fine. It's day 4, the blue mold is already growing.

I'm excited. I think I've solved the probl with my blue cheese. Before, it was dry and had the hardness almost matching Parmesan. It was the mini wine fridge I was using.

I put the cheese in its cradle, put the whole thing inside a Tupperware container with a lid and put THAT into the fridge. It is probably 100% humidity which is higher than the minimum 85% recommended but I think it will be fine. It's day 4, the blue mold is already growing.

Excellent! I'm still very interested how this all works out for you. I'm ordering some fresh cultures and am thinking of trying a brie. Of course, that's another type of cheese that requires its own aging container.

Excellent! I'm still very interested how this all works out for you. I'm ordering some fresh cultures and am thinking of trying a brie. Of course, that's another type of cheese that requires its own aging container.

I plan on doing Brie as some point in the near future. It's one of my favorite cheeses.

Oops! I ran out of mesophilic starter. I forgot to make some before I started another cheese. I had to use thermophillic instead. A cheddar with thermophillic starter? I wonder what will happen. I'll know in about 6 months.

I would like to know why nobody ever posts any pictures in this thread.

I am lodging a formal protest. I think it may be a bannable offense.

Forum List

Back