Charlie and the Chocolate factory review

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
Ok, I saw this opening night, just before going to the HP&HBP midnight release.

First off, before I get into specifics of the movie, Tim Burton is one twisted individual, in need of serious therapy and a 12 step program.

That aside, I actually liked this version way better than the original. I don't like tim burton films, as they all seem to have the same style. But this is one i can't wait to see again, and i just might pay to do so before the dvd comes out.

the storyline is pretty much the same, however there were a few changes. When the kids and parents enter the factory, they are presented with a dancing doll show, much like in the information booth in the first Shrek movie. Except in this movie, it is larger, and the dolls spontaneously combust into flames :eek2: Another difference is we learn about Willy Wonka's childhood-being the son of a dentist, especially on Halloween.

The candy room, with the river of chocolate (which looked more realistic than the first movie), was done in typical Burton style. I questioned the line Willy Wonka said when telling the kids about the room "Would you like to taste some of my grass?" -i can't remember the exact phrase. This line was kind of a confirmation that someone was smoking something while writing the script for this film, not that it produced bad results. To the contrary, it made it more fun, and fantasy-like. I think the first film was way too serious.

The oompa loompas were actually just one actor, digitally multiplied on screen. This must have been to save on money to pay actors, and save time in learning dance routines. Those dances and songs in themselves, were an acid trip, not that i would know...

Johnny Depp gives a spectacular performance, and gave a real personality and charisma to Willy Wonka that Gene Wilder just couldn't achieve. I was laughing throughout this whole movie, as were the rest of the people in the theater. Upon leaving after it was done, all I heard were positive comments, and people spouting lines from the movie.

The kids are great in the movie, especially the girl who played Veruca Salt. She made the character her own, though with a great style that was close to the original actress'. They all did a good job, and were very believeable.

Anyway, I highly recommend this movie, giving it 3.5/4 stars. 1/2 star because they digitally multiplied the one actor, instead of using more than one person.

Forum List

Back