Challenge: prove the Earth is round

Challenge (to you):

Prove the Earth is an approximate sphere without using any evidence gathered since and including the 20th century (so a picture of the Earth doesn't cut it)

Challenge (to me):

I will come up with an alternate explanation that does not involved a spherical earth for every piece of evidence presented.

Drop some bread crumbs. Walk in one direction for 25,000 miles. Find bread crumbs.

I guess you liberals don't do science well. If he followed your advise, he would end up 98.45 miles away from the bread crumbs.

The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles (40,075.16 kilometers).

What is the circumference of the earth?

Give him a break, he thinks people can walk on water.

So he logged off 1 minute after posting the thread.

Oohpahdoopah ran away,
Bravely ran away, away.
When evidence reared it's ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, Oohpahdoopah turned about,
And valiantly he chickened out.
Bravely taking to his feet,
He beat a fairly brave retreat.
Bravest of the brave, Oohdoopah.

Drop some bread crumbs. Walk in one direction for 25,000 miles. Find bread crumbs.

I guess you liberals don't do science well. If he followed your advise, he would end up 98.45 miles away from the bread crumbs.

The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles (40,075.16 kilometers).

What is the circumference of the earth?

Give him a break, he thinks people can walk on water.

Dang! I was gonna type that too, but got busy with infrastructure and all. :eusa_angel:

I guess i stumped him on a retort about the earths shadow being round on the moon.....:eusa_whistle:

Nahh... it can still be flat.

Like a pizza pie from the cosmos :uhoh3:

The earth's shadow would only be round in the moon was directly over head at local midnight. Any other time, the shadow would be oval or a narrow bar shape.

How thick was the Earth when it was flat? I know that way back when, you could fall off the edge, but could you also dig too deep of a hole?

I guess i stumped him on a retort about the earths shadow being round on the moon.....:eusa_whistle:

The earth's shadow would only be round in the moon was directly over head at local midnight. Any other time, the shadow would be oval or a narrow bar shape.

How thick was the Earth when it was flat? I know that way back when, you could fall off the edge, but could you also dig too deep of a hole?

No.
The earth, by my awesome calculations, was only about 50 feet thick.
And there was no China.
:eusa_whistle:

No.
And there was no China.

oh hell no! I got dandelion weed roots that go to freaking china!

No.
And there was no China.

oh hell no! I got dandelion weed roots that go to freaking china!

That was then, this is now.
Sorry about that...:eusa_angel:
:lol:

Eratosthenes of Cyrene (Ancient Greek: Ἐρατοσθένης, IPA: [eratostʰénɛːs]; English /ɛrəˈtɒsθəniːz/; c. 276 BC[1] – c. 195 BC[2]) was a Greek mathematician, geographer, poet, athlete, astronomer, and music theorist.

He was the first person to use the word "geography" and invented the discipline of geography as we understand it.[3] He invented a system of latitude and longitude.

He was the first person to calculate the circumference of the earth by using a measuring system using stades, or the length of stadiums during that time period (with remarkable accuracy). He was the first to calculate the tilt of the Earth's axis (also with remarkable accuracy)

Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the Earth without leaving Egypt. Eratosthenes knew that on the summer solstice at local noon in the Ancient Egyptian city of Swenet (known in Greek as Syene, and in the modern day as Aswan) on the Tropic of Cancer, the sun would appear at the zenith, directly overhead (he had been told that the shadow of someone looking down a deep well would block the reflection of the Sun at noon). He also knew, from measurement, that in his hometown of Alexandria, the angle of elevation of the sun was 1/50th of a circle (7°12') south of the zenith on the solstice noon. Assuming that the Earth was spherical (360°), and that Alexandria was due north of Syene, he concluded that the meridian arc distance from Alexandria to Syene must therefore be 1/50 = 7°12'/360°, and was therefore 1/50 of the total circumference of the Earth. His knowledge of the size of Egypt after many generations of surveying trips for the Pharaonic bookkeepers gave a distance between the cities of 5000 stadia (about 500 geographical miles or 800 km). This distance was corroborated by inquiring about the time that it takes to travel from Syene to Alexandria by camel. He rounded the result to a final value of 700 stadia per degree, which implies a circumference of 252,000 stadia. The exact size of the stadion he used is frequently argued. The common Attic stadion was about 185 m,[9] which would imply a circumference of 46,620 km, i.e. 16.3% too large. However, if we assume that Eratosthenes used the "Egyptian stadion"[10] of about 157.5 m, his measurement turns out to be 39,690 km, an error of less than 2%.[11]

Eratosthenes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eratosthenes did not prove the Earth spherical. He measured the circumference of the Earth under the assumption that the Earth is spherical (and that the Sun was far away). The same measurements used by Eratosthenes - the Sun 7.2 degrees from zenith in Alexandria when it was 0 degrees from zenith at Syene - would also be obtained if the Sun were 6400 km directly above Syene at the time of the measurement in Alexandria and the Earth were flat.

Last edited:
Challenge (to you):

Prove the Earth is an approximate sphere without using any evidence gathered since and including the 20th century (so a picture of the Earth doesn't cut it)

Challenge (to me):

I will come up with an alternate explanation that does not involved a spherical earth for every piece of evidence presented.

Lunar eclipse.

The earth makes the shadow on the moon.... the shadow is round. :tongue:

Alternative explanation:
The same shadow would be cast if the earth were a flat, circular, disc whose face is perpendicular to an imaginary line connecting the sun and moon.

Forum List

Back