Challenge: prove the Earth is round

Start at about 6:15.

Tells you have to measure the circumference. Wouldn't be possible if the Earth was flat.

[youtube]GJ4Qp2xeRds[/youtube]​

Alternative explanation:
The same shadow would be cast if the earth were a flat, circular, disc whose face is perpendicular to an imaginary line connecting the sun and moon.
Only works at precisely local midnight. FAIL!

Maybe the earth is flt and there are moon being that just display an image on their giant flat screen planet.... maybe an eclipse is just their version of a movie and we are just being peeping toms :dunno:

Hey, its as good as any of the other theories :lol:
Nooooo, it's not. :D

Challenge (to you):

Prove the Earth is an approximate sphere without using any evidence gathered since and including the 20th century (so a picture of the Earth doesn't cut it)

Challenge (to me):

I will come up with an alternate explanation that does not involved a spherical earth for every piece of evidence presented.

Drop some bread crumbs. Walk in one direction for 25,000 miles. Find bread crumbs.

I guess you liberals don't do science well. If he followed your advise, he would end up 98.45 miles away from the bread crumbs.

The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles (40,075.16 kilometers).

What is the circumference of the earth?

:lmao:

But it was a great attempt by Rdoop.

Challenge (to you):

Prove the Earth is an approximate sphere without using any evidence gathered since and including the 20th century (so a picture of the Earth doesn't cut it)

Challenge (to me):

I will come up with an alternate explanation that does not involved a spherical earth for every piece of evidence presented.

It's not round, dimwit.

It's a slightly mis-shapen globe.

Challenge (to you):

Challenge (to me):

Lunar eclipse.

The earth makes the shadow on the moon.... the shadow is round. :tongue:

Alternative explanation:
The same shadow would be cast if the earth were a flat, circular, disc whose face is perpendicular to an imaginary line connecting the sun and moon.

Then the shadow of the earth on the moon would change.... the earth revolves. We know for a fact that the earth revolves since we have night and day along with seasons.... That has been common knowledge for thousands of years. If, as you say, the earth is a flat disk....At times the shadow of the earth on the moon would be a slit and not round ....

Lunar eclipses have been going on since the dawn of time..... not one time in the recorded history of man, in any civilization, has the shadow ever been recorded as a slit.... and not round.

Last edited:
My goal now is to construct a model that satisfies ALL the evidenece above without a (near) spherical earth.

I will go ahead and concede however, that this model will probably be a bit more complex than a spherical model. Since the spherical model is the simpler model to explain all the evidence above and whatever I come up with the more complex - by Occam's razor, the spherical model will win.

So I lose. The model I present will merely be an encore.

Quantum Windbag + Ernie S. are the winners. The good people of USMB should shower them with positive reps.

And what... cant stand a woman blowing you out of the water?

Last edited:
Challenge (to you):

Challenge (to me):

Lunar eclipse.

Except that "round" doesn't mean it ain''t round and FLAT.

Challenge (to you):

Challenge (to me):

Lunar eclipse.

Except that "round" doesn't mean it ain''t round and FLAT.

Read on... read on.

Challenge (to you):

Challenge (to me):

I fell off the edge of the Earth and all I got was this lousy t-shirt...

Challenge (to you):

Challenge (to me):

Impossible, it's an oblate spheroid.:eusa_whistle:

Challenge (to you):

Challenge (to me):

Long before the 20th century, it was observed that womens breasts were round.

QED.

We know for a fact that the earth revolves since we have night and day along with seasons....

Night and day can be accounted for if the Sun orbits around the earth and so can the seasons. Man knew of night and day and the seasons for many many millenia before he figured out the Earth was spherical.

Lunar eclipses have been going on since the dawn of time..... not one time in the recorded history of man, in any civilization, has the shadow ever been recorded as a slit.... and not round.[/COLOR]

Perhaps the moon - Earth - Sun only line up when the flat earth disc is nearly perpendicular to the line of centers.

Drop some bread crumbs. Walk in one direction for 25,000 miles. Find bread crumbs.

I guess you liberals don't do science well. If he followed your advise, he would end up 98.45 miles away from the bread crumbs.

The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles (40,075.16 kilometers).

What is the circumference of the earth?

Awww, give him a break! He was rounding up!
:lol::lol:

Not to mention that he wouldn't be 98.45 miles away from the bread crumbs, he'd actually be right on the bread crumbs, having retraced his steps for that distance.

I love it when Cons think they know science, when they're actually trying to apply a political edge to every controversy. Like the AGW debate, they usually lose trying to apply a left-right paradigm to the situation, when true science has no such bias.

Challenge (to you):

Challenge (to me):

If you were here with me in Florida i could do it easily. I'd take you to the coast and we'd look at ships with my telescope. I could also explain to you why during an eclipse, the earth's shadow isround.

Forum List

Back