CD rates are near 5%! If they go any higher will that affect the stock market?

So far it doesn't seem to be affecting the markets too much, but if they go to 6 percent that's getting pretty close to the 9% long term average return on stocks. Will that drive investors to pull money out of stocks and into CDs?
I havent pulled anything out of stocks yet but bought two CDs last week to take advantage of the rate.

So far it doesn't seem to be affecting the markets too much, but if they go to 6 percent that's getting pretty close to the 9% long term average return on stocks. Will that drive investors to pull money out of stocks and into CDs?

Maybe. Banks are pushing them but they are only 3.5% for 13 months and 3.25% for 6 months in my area

You can buy CDs based anywhere. I opened an account through BofA that has CDs from banks all over America and some foreign banks.
I am aware of that. I am just pointing out that they are not that high at a lot of places. I don't much care for CD's. To me they are little more than well-dressed Christmas Club accounts.

I am aware of that. I am just pointing out that they are not that high at a lot of places. I don't much care for CD's. To me they are little more than well-dressed Christmas Club accounts.
I didn't care for them either when they were 1%. Now that they are 4.5 - 5.0% I like them a lot.

CDs are a shorth term strategy.
Hell I can get over 4% in a high yield savings account without tying up my cash for months or years

5%

Shit one can get 14% for owning NLY.

Increases in interest rates is usually viewed negatively by the stock market. However, there are many other factors that effect stock prices. One of most potent is investors view of where the economy and stock market is going to be in a year from now. The market is always looking at what may happen in the future, not what happened yesterday. However, if CD rates go to 9%, I would sell stocks and start buying bonds, the higher rates go, the more I would buy. Personally, I don't think we will will see 9%. We might see 6 or 7.

Increases in interest rates is usually viewed negatively by the stock market. However, there are many other factors that effect stock prices. One of most potent is investors view of where the economy and stock market is going to be in a year from now. The market is always looking at what may happen in the future, not what happened yesterday. However, if CD rates go to 9%, I would sell stocks and start buying bonds, the higher rates go, the more I would buy. Personally, I don't think we will will see 9%. We might see 6 or 7.
I agree CD rates won't reach 9%, I said if CDs get to 6% that gets close to the average long term yield of the stock market of 9% which could potentially take cash out of the market. That's all I was saying.

Forum List

Back