CBO says US likely to fall off 'fiscal cliff' if Bush-era tax cuts allowed to expire

While I agree that there should be spending cuts, I agree with a large majority of economists who say that cutting spending in a big way while the country's economy is still fragile is basically suicide for this country's economy.
I also agree that taxes should not be raised during a fragile economy.
However, I also agree that all should sacrifice, not just Main Street America who has been the hardest hit by the second biggest downturn in our country's history.
Why should just the poor and Middle Class suffer? Isn't that just another step towards plutocracy?

Last edited:
Could you provide a link to the actual CBO report rather than Fox News?

you want something different? go find it your owndamnlazyself.

Liberal's are unable to use Google-

Here is the AP report.

It seems that few want to tell the whole story:

CBO projected that the economy would contract by 1.3 percent in the first half of 2013, which would meet the traditional definition of a recession, which is when the economy shrinks for two consecutive quarters.

"Such a contraction in output in the first half of 2013 would probably be judged to be a recession," CBO said.

The economy would rebound at a 2.3 percent growth rate in the second half of the year, however, under CBO projections.

So basically what is being said here is that the initial shock of the treatment would cause a contraction of the countries economy, but by the second half of 2013, that would right itself and prove better in the long run for the country.

Geez, and we are still arguing that increasing revenue and cutting spending is a bad thing?

"CBO observes that simply extending all of our current tax and spending policies will produce unsustainable deficits and debt, which will also send the economy into decline," said Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., the top Democrat on the Budget Committee. "We need to act and we must do so in a balanced way."

Finally! A Democrat that gets it! Hoorrahh!!!!

Although, paying lip service to the problem isn't going to solve it.

Immie

The dems have been tryoing to act for years but 360 filibusters got in the way

Gridlock in Congress? Blame the GOP - CNN.com

the number of filibusters by Republicans has escalated, and they have been far more willing to use the tactic than their opponents. Since 2007, the Senate Historical Office has shown, Democrats have had to end Republican filibusters more than 360 times, a historic record.

Isn't this what the TeaTards demanded?

Fiscal responsibility at all costs? Spending cuts hurt the economy. Everyone knows that. But if you want to reduce debt, you have to reduce spending
Tax increases hurt the economy. Everyone knows that. But you have to increase revenue to reduce debt.

You can't have it both ways

Gridlock in Congress? Blame the GOP - CNN.com

the number of filibusters by Republicans has escalated, and they have been far more willing to use the tactic than their opponents. Since 2007, the Senate Historical Office has shown, Democrats have had to end Republican filibusters more than 360 times, a historic record.

When you are blocking bad legislation... filibusters are a good thing.

Nevermind, that is a topic that is clearly way over your head.

Then again, Harry Reid, doesn't even allow Republican bills to come up for a vote. Maybe that is a good thing as well?

Immie

The Minority is NOT supposed to rule the country.

That is NOT what the founders designed

NEVER give someone a job they say is worthless.

they will do a worthless job of executing the job

what does liesalot mean when she says "the minority does not rule this country"?

I thought we already fell off the cliff when Obama/Reid/Pelosi/Frank and Dodd collapsed the housing market in 2008.

You mean right after when Republicans held both houses and the presidency? Odd the way the timing works out.

As odd as how a thread with you in it being stupid finds my neg nearly every day.

Crazy shit I tell you, derp derp

You mean the people benefiting from these tax cuts say we are doomed if they go away? Do you think there might be some sort of bias on their part? You know because they will have to pay some more money, and are actually quite capable of doing so. It is not like they are taking the last couple of dollars from poor people. No these tax breaks were just some icing for a bunch of fairly well of people. Guess what, we have to pay for that war machine you keep voting for, and someone has to pay for the fight against gays and drugs. Imprisoning brown people is not cheap, and fascists like arapio are costing the state a lot of money harassing those spanish speaking brown people. Plus the rich are having all sorts of challenges from the common people in the new media. It is going to cost a lot of money to make people afraid of the internet so they vote for censorship. You would not want the truth coming out because that would be bad. So pony up and pay for the coat of paint you are going to slather all over everything to make things seem OK. Why should other people have to pay for your propaganda and power? The fucking nerve of this guy asking others to pay for his supremacy.

Balancing the budget and sparking the economy are contradictory. You do one, you will hurt the other

Forum List

Back