Catholicism is a very complicated religion

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Catholicism is a very complicated religion which is why the Church actually doesn't encourage laymen to try to teach it to non-Catholics. They are afraid we will get it wrong, and do more harm than good.

So the job of the Catholic layman is to spread the Good News by our example, by our deeds, and "they will know we are Christian by our love." Which is well and good, and I think for most Catholics, that is good advice.

But I am going to try to teach Catholicism anyway, because I think maybe I can handle the task. I have taken a course in canon law, I have perused the Catholic Bible and know it well, and I have read the Catholic Catechism, or can find what I need out of it.

So here's a beginning:

The center of the Catholic Church, the thing that is above all things, the reason the Catholic Church exists, is to celebrate the Mass.

And the center of the Mass is the Sacrament of the Eucharist. Delivery of the Sacrament of the Eucharist to the world's one billion Catholics is the most important thing the Catholic Church does in this world.

Does that seem strange to you?

Here is the source:

Catechism of the Catholic Church - The sacrament of the Eucharist

Catholicism is a very complicated religion which is why the Church actually doesn't encourage laymen to try to teach it to non-Catholics. They are afraid we will get it wrong, and do more harm than good.

So the job of the Catholic layman is to spread the Good News by our example, by our deeds, and "they will know we are Christian by our love." Which is well and good, and I think for most Catholics, that is good advice.

But I am going to try to teach Catholicism anyway, because I think maybe I can handle the task. I have taken a course in canon law, I have perused the Catholic Bible and know it well, and I have read the Catholic Catechism, or can find what I need out of it.

So here's a beginning:

The center of the Catholic Church, the thing that is above all things, the reason the Catholic Church exists, is to celebrate the Mass.

And the center of the Mass is the Sacrament of the Eucharist. Delivery of the Sacrament of the Eucharist to the world's one billion Catholics is the most important thing the Catholic Church does in this world.

Here is the source:

The catholic religion is an institution that binds it's people by being the intermediary between God and the individual. The church is gods house, the priest is gods messenger and representative that is here to guide and teach. It's foundation is based in sacraments, baptism, communion, confession, etc. and it's people live and worship through "works", meaning following the doctrine and rituals as directed by the church. Basically, follow the rules... Go to church, receive the sacraments, take communion, confess your sins, and do your penance. Do these things and you will be guided to heaven. Don't do them and spend eternity in hell. Fear God! This message used to be pushed very hard as the church was a very powerful and political part of society. This God fearing message was made to scare people And discourage questioning or doubt... It was a way to keep their power and control. There was much corruption that came from this.

Through a a lot of this crap and corruption there are virtuous elements of the faith and a truly beautiful message. One that other denominations teach in their own way. A message that most other religions reach in there own way. Whether you accept it as truth or as good or bad, right or wrong is entirely up to you

I was hoping this would be a dialogue, with people responding to what I posted, and not striking out in random directions.

I posted about the Eucharist, let's talk about that. What is the Eucharist? It is the Body and Blood of Christ. This is not a symbol, it is the Real Presence of Christ in the bread and wine.

This is the process called transubstantiation. When the priest says the words of concencration, the bread and wine transform into the Body and Blood of Christ. Only the appearance of bread and wine remain.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist

So then you are fulfilling revelation being drunk on the blood of the martyrs?
Brilliant!

I was hoping this would be a dialogue, with people responding to what I posted, and not striking out in random directions.

I posted about the Eucharist, let's talk about that. What is the Eucharist? It is the Body and Blood of Christ. This is not a symbol, it is the Real Presence of Christ in the bread and wine.

This is the process called transubstantiation. When the priest says the words of concencration, the bread and wine transform into the Body and Blood of Christ. Only the appearance of bread and wine remain.

Striking out In Random directions? I gave a very thoughtful dipiction of the foundation and premise of the religion which gives insight into their rituals and practices. You have to respond like an asshole... What's wrong with you?

The Eucharist isn't that hard to understand... the bread and wine are blessed and overtaken by the spirit of Christ to become his body and blood. It doesn't literally taste like skin and blood, it is a spiritual thing. Similar to the blessing of holy water or the receiving of the other sacraments. I was raised Catholic until I reached the age of reason, but I understand the power of their rituals very well. When you accept Jesus into your heart and get baptized, you feel his spirit in you. When you received the sacrament of holy communion you again feel his spirit in you as you eat the body and drink the blood of Christ. When you confess your sins and do your penance, you feel as if your soul has been cleansed of sin. These rituals and feelings are very real and comforting if you truly believe as I once did. They are not metaphoric, they are literal connections and experiences that you have with God through Christ... This is a very powerful thing and believed by Catholics to be the word and will of God

So here's a beginning:

Here is the source:

The catholic religion is an institution that binds it's people by being the intermediary between God and the individual. The church is gods house, the priest is gods messenger and representative that is here to guide and teach. It's foundation is based in sacraments, baptism, communion, confession, etc. and it's people live and worship through "works", meaning following the doctrine and rituals as directed by the church. Basically, follow the rules... Go to church, receive the sacraments, take communion, confess your sins, and do your penance. Do these things and you will be guided to heaven. Don't do them and spend eternity in hell. Fear God! This message used to be pushed very hard as the church was a very powerful and political part of society. This God fearing message was made to scare people And discourage questioning or doubt... It was a way to keep their power and control. There was much corruption that came from this.

Through a a lot of this crap and corruption there are virtuous elements of the faith and a truly beautiful message. One that other denominations teach in their own way. A message that most other religions reach in there own way. Whether you accept it as truth or as good or bad, right or wrong is entirely up to you

Never felt bound

That is what they say, they did believe it in the old days, but I know of no RC's who believe it actually turns into the body and blood of Christ. My family never did and every one was an altar boy, even my alter boy nephews never did. It was a symbolic of receiving the spirit of Christ, but more special than a cracker some take at other churches. Transubstantiation was never taught fully that I remember, the nuns sort of just skimmed over it.

So here's a beginning:

Here is the source:

Never felt bound

That is what they say, they did believe it in the old days, but I know of no RC's who believe it actually turns into the body and blood of Christ. My family never did and every one was an altar boy, even my alter boy nephews never did. It was a symbolic of receiving the spirit of Christ, but more special than a cracker some take at other churches. Transubstantiation was never taught fully that I remember, the nuns sort of just skimmed over it.
It sounds like you and your family either did not get a good education regarding Transubstantiation or chose not to embrace a foundational teaching of the Church. Meanwhile, today, many a Catholic will spend time in Eucharistic adoration because they believe Christ is truly present in the Eucharist.

Last edited:

Jesus explained to his disciples that flesh and blood was a metaphor for the words that he received from God that are both spirit and life in John 6:63. His disciples confirmed their belief in his explanation, "Your words are words of eternal life. We have faith and know that you are the Holy One of God." John 6:68

What the church does at mass is a blatant desecration of what Jesus himself said gives life, what the disciples believed gives life, and a brazen violation of the divine commands.

Rome deliberately uses the power of death consequent to defying the Law of God to subdue populations and deceive nations making people so witless that they do not even realize that they are kneeling in front of a lifeless matzo made by human hands and cannot comprehend the absurdity of seeking spiritual life from that which has no life and doing the very thing that God promises results in death as an expression of religious devotion.

Last edited:

So here's a beginning:

Here is the source:

ah the goyim secret religion that even they goyim don't know!!!!

So here's a beginning:

Here is the source:

First you get down on your knees,
Fiddle with your rosaries,
Bow your head with great respect,
And genuflect, genuflect, genuflect!

Do whatever steps you want, if
You have cleared them with the Pontiff.
Everybody say his own
Kyrie eleison,
Doin' the Vatican Rag.

Get in line in that processional,
Step into that small confessional,
There, the guy who's got religion'll
Tell you if your sin's original.
If it is, try playin' it safer,
Drink the wine and chew the wafer,
Two, four, six, eight,
Time to transubstantiate!

So get down upon your knees,

Make a cross on your abdomen,
When in Rome do like a Roman,
Ave Maria,
Gee it's good to see ya,
Gettin' ecstatic an'
Sorta dramatic an'
Doin' the Vatican Rag!
The vatican rag Lyrics by Tom Lehrer

So here's a beginning:

Here is the source:

First you get down on your knees,

Do whatever steps you want, if
You have cleared them with the Pontiff.
Everybody say his own
Kyrie eleison,
Doin' the Vatican Rag.

Get in line in that processional,
Step into that small confessional,
There, the guy who's got religion'll
Tell you if your sin's original.
If it is, try playin' it safer,
Drink the wine and chew the wafer,
Two, four, six, eight,
Time to transubstantiate!

So get down upon your knees,

Make a cross on your abdomen,
When in Rome do like a Roman,
Ave Maria,
Gee it's good to see ya,
Gettin' ecstatic an'
Sorta dramatic an'
Doin' the Vatican Rag!
The vatican rag Lyrics by Tom Lehrer

So here's a beginning:

Here is the source:

One minor quibble, is that Catholic Doctrine does not have the binary Heaven/Hell situation you see in more evangelical/fundamental Christian sects. Catholics believe in the concept of Purgatory, where people who aren't saints, but aren't heavy sinners get to purge the bad stuff out.

So you will probably go to hell for unrepentant murder, but you only have to suffer a few eons to burn off that hamburger you ate on Good Friday when you were 18, and screwing your future wife before marriage all that time.

Yeah, They love Jesus so much that they turned his teaching into a cheap snack food that they eat and then crap down the toilet and they love God so much that they do the exact opposite of what he commands, religiously.

Catholicism is a very complicated religion...

I appreciate your thoughtfulness and hopes for this thread. Perhaps it would help to also speak of what is not complicated.

While Jesus walked the earth he was baptized, and asked his Apostles to baptize. Jesus proclaimed the forgiveness of sins, and asked his Apostles to continue with this. At the Last Supper he offered bread, saying it was his body; wine, saying it was his blood. He asked the Apostles to continue doing this. Christ healed the sick, also anointing disciples to heal in his name. He sent the Holy Spirit to his followers. And he anointed twelve Apostles to take on the responsibility of caring for/watching over his flock and spreading the Gospel to all. The seven sacraments of the Catholic Church centers on all these aspects of Jesus life. The offer is open to everyone (catholic) to take part in Christ's life and live as he lived.

There are two problems this thread faces already. Former Catholics wish to share their teenage impressions of Catholicism. We all are aware of how accurate teenage impressions are, which is why the United States follows the tradition of electing teenagers to government office.

The second problem is that non-Catholics are very eager to come in and share what they heard about Catholicism from other non-Catholics, i.e., gossip, rumor, and innuendo. When tried in court, people naturally want the jury to decide their case based on the gossip, rumor, and innuendos spread by people who are took no part, nor witnessed no part, of the issue before the court.

Catholicism is a very complicated religion...

I appreciate your thoughtfulness and hopes for this thread. Perhaps it would help to also speak of what is not complicated.

While Jesus walked the earth he was baptized, and asked his Apostles to baptize. Jesus proclaimed the forgiveness of sins, and asked his Apostles to continue with this. At the Last Supper he offered bread, saying it was his body; wine, saying it was his blood. He asked the Apostles to continue doing this. Christ healed the sick, also anointing disciples to heal in his name. He sent the Holy Spirit to his followers. And he anointed twelve Apostles to take on the responsibility of caring for/watching over his flock and spreading the Gospel to all. The seven sacraments of the Catholic Church centers on all these aspects of Jesus life. The offer is open to everyone (catholic) to take part in Christ's life and live as he lived.

There are two problems this thread faces already. Former Catholics wish to share their teenage impressions of Catholicism. We all are aware of how accurate teenage impressions are, which is why the United States follows the tradition of electing teenagers to government office.

The second problem is that non-Catholics are very eager to come in and share what they heard about Catholicism from other non-Catholics, i.e., gossip, rumor, and innuendo. When tried in court, people naturally want the jury to decide their case based on the gossip, rumor, and innuendos spread by people who are took no part, nor witnessed no part, of the issue before the court.
I assume when you speak of teenage impressions you are referring to my posts. If you take issue with anything that I said then address it directly. Trying to degrade the substance of my posts by calling me immature does nothing, you can do better.

I assume when you speak of teenage impressions you are referring to my posts. If you take issue with anything that I said then address it directly. Trying to degrade the substance of my posts by calling me immature does nothing, you can do better.

Hi, Slade. Actually, I didn't have any post specifically in mind; I was speaking generally of my own experiences and observations on several forums. Some people want others to know what they think about Catholicism. They have no wish to change their minds, they are satisfied they have arrived at the truth.

Are you really interested in the way a Catholic perceives the Catholic faith, and how the Catholic faith has drawn him/her into the hands of God? Aren't you more interested in telling people you think priests stand between the individual and God? Don't you want to believe priests go on and on about hell,, not how they speak of the mercy or God? Don't you want to believe Catholicism is the worst faith ever, and that there is nothing good about it?

If you want to learn about why so many find great treasure in the Catholic faith, and are drawn more closely to God than they would have been in any other denomination, Blackrook, I, and many others, would be happy to converse with you.

Learning the similarities and differences among the Anglican and Episcopalian sects re 'official' Catholicism would be interesting for some also, and what distinguishes them as 'Protestant'.

And ignore the silly kids posting from the short busses who make a point of disrupting any attempt at real discussions in this forum; they're simply sick giggly little gimps with no education or manners, so just carry on as if they don't exist; their parents do.

Hi, Slade. Actually, I didn't have any post specifically in mind; I was speaking generally of my own experiences and observations on several forums. Some people want others to know what they think about Catholicism. They have no wish to change their minds, they are satisfied they have arrived at the truth.

Are you really interested in the way a Catholic perceives the Catholic faith, and how the Catholic faith has drawn him/her into the hands of God? Aren't you more interested in telling people you think priests stand between the individual and God? Don't you want to believe priests go on and on about hell,, not how they speak of the mercy or God? Don't you want to believe Catholicism is the worst faith ever, and that there is nothing good about it?

If you want to learn about why so many find great treasure in the Catholic faith, and are drawn more closely to God than they would have been in any other denomination, Blackrook, I, and many others, would be happy to converse with you.
I thought this was an open forum for discussion. I have respect for many elements of all religions and also see fault in many so the discussion interests me. I always keep an open mind so please don't assume to know my motives based on two simple posts. I have experience with the Catholic religion and many friends and family still actively part of it. Truth is in the eye of the beholder

Learning the similarities and differences among the Anglican and Episcopalian sects re 'official' Catholicism would be interesting for some also, and what distinguishes them as 'Protestant'.

And ignore the silly kids posting from the short busses who make a point of disrupting any attempt at real discussions in this forum; they're simply sick giggly little gimps with no education or manners, so just carry on as if they don't exist; their parents do.
Haha, Somebody scribbled on the back of one of the seats on the short bus... WWJD... Not sure what it means but perhaps it applies to how your faith teaches you to act towards others.

Slade3200, I was not trying to insult you, I was trying to keep this thread on focus. I know that with guno around, there will be amusing diversions, but I would like for at least the Christians to stay on track. There is a lot Catholicism has to offer the world. The religion has probably more to offer than most non-Catholics appreciate.

There is a reason the Catholic Church is the only major religion which has a structure, definite leadership, and comprehensive theology that has lasted more than 2000 years. And the Catholic Church is also the largest Church in membership, and it is rapidly growing, especially in Africa and Asia. Non-Catholics have the wrong idea that Catholicism is in decline, but that is only true in Europe, which has been in spiritual crisis for hundreds of years.

When I was a teenager, I did not appreciate my Catholic faith as I should, and up until recently, I know I have been deficient in my faith life. I do not make it a regular habit to pray, I do not attend Mass as I should, and sometimes I don't even make it on Christmas or Easter. But the Church is drawing me in, stronger and stronger as I get older and the end of my life approaches like a door that I must soon go beyond. I fear what I will see there if I continue my life of spiritual negligence. I am not a bad or sinful man, but faith is required, and my faith is not as strong as it should be. Sharing my faith on this forum has always been my effort to strengthen my faith in my own life.

I know there will be those who will amuse themselves on this thread, but I'm going to ignore these diversions, and I hope the rest of us can have a faith discussion that enriches all of us. I'm not trying to convert anyone here, I'm just trying to share what I know.

Forum List

Back