Catholic Church: Sex only for procreation

The logic here is quite simple.

If sex was not only about procreation in the church, they would allow condoms and birth control. They would also allow masturbation. However, they do not. While one can take pleasure from sex, they have to keep in mind the main objective which is to have kids.

There's no way to logically state that the Catholic Church supports sex outside of attempting to have kids, and then say they're against aids that help you not have kids after sex.

translation:

i am incapable of admitting i'm wrong

dude, its been explained to you by someone whose family is catholic and the catechism i cited.....it can NOT be about procreation when you practice natural regulation...because there is still a "possibility"...

seriously, you're now rejecting what the church believes and other catholics believe because it makes you wrong....that is obsession modbert.

if more people actually followed the views of the church, who would be harmed?
The children of parents who cannot afford to have any more children, principally.

Many Catholics, including nuns and priests, secretly support the use of contraception for family planning, in order to prevent families from falling into poverty.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-RKFewOetc[/ame]

It was brought to my attention that the video I posted had already made an appearance in this thread. I have therefore edited my post and replaced said video with the only other sperm video I could think of.

Last edited:
translation:

dude, its been explained to you by someone whose family is catholic and the catechism i cited.....it can NOT be about procreation when you practice natural regulation...because there is still a "possibility"...

seriously, you're now rejecting what the church believes and other catholics believe because it makes you wrong....that is obsession modbert.

:eusa_eh: You clearly got your facts wrong. Never mind the fact you're acting like I'm not a Catholic, when I've said twice now that I am.

But you know what, if you're going to insult me instead of actually giving me a counter answer to my logic, then why bother Yurt?

I mean I tried to be civil, but let's be frank, you made this thread because you were hoping other members of USMB would validate your beliefs against what I said because nobody was in the original thread.

Done trying to talk sense to you on this topic when you have no interest in having a conversation, you just want to say you're right and I'm wrong.

if more people actually followed the views of the church, who would be harmed?
The children of parents who cannot afford to have any more children, principally.

Many Catholics, including nuns and priests, secretly support the use of contraception for family planning, in order to prevent families from falling into poverty.

from what i've read, and it's not that extensive, a woman can only get pregnant 4-6 days a month. if having too many children is really a problem you're struggling with, learn your body. take a week off every month. cuddle.

i think the problem of unmarried couples conceiving unwanted babies is far more prevalent than married couples having too many children. not too mention the problem of sexually transmitted disease. not too mention the pscyhological issues teenage girls (and boys) for that matter have to deal with for engaging in sex, even when it doesn't lead to a baby or an STD.

Catholics are uptight...and yes, the purpose of sex to Catholicism is procreation.

Otherwise birth control would be okay.

2370 Periodic continence, that is, the methods of birth regulation based on self-observation and the use of infertile periods, is in conformity with the objective criteria of morality.158

Catechism of the Catholic Church - The sixth commandment

what say you to that ravi? seems to me that it says natural regulation or control is just fine, IOW, you can have sex when the woman cannot conceive.
:lol: It doesn't work...just a plot to get Catholics to have more babies.

Could the catholic church really be anymore damaging to the planet? We have too many people people. This doesn't help.

translation:

:eusa_eh: You clearly got your facts wrong. Never mind the fact you're acting like I'm not a Catholic, when I've said twice now that I am.

But you know what, if you're going to insult me instead of actually giving me a counter answer to my logic, then why bother Yurt?

I mean I tried to be civil, but let's be frank, you made this thread because you were hoping other members of USMB would validate your beliefs against what I said because nobody was in the original thread.

Done trying to talk sense to you on this topic when you have no interest in having a conversation, you just want to say you're right and I'm wrong.

1. what facts are wrong?

2. how did i act like you're not catholic...you're the one who has their facts wrong.

3. i didn't insult you, i pointed out a salient observation. and i included my reasonings on why it is you can't admit your wrong, despite explaining in lenghth in multiple posts about natural regulation and how the church clearly says you can have sex when its not about procreation which is in direct contrast to your express claim:

the view of the church that sex is suppose to be only for procreation

The church however teaches that people should not have sex unless it's for only procreation

the catechism i pointed out and that eagleseven mentioned via his personal experience clearly contradict you.

4. you were not civil at all in the other thread, you personally attacked me with all kinds of insults, so i created this thread which i was civil in and you never once actually discussed the catechism i put, except to say you don't believe it and it doesn't make sense.

5. i really wanted to know the issue about this as i've studied the catholic church quite a bit. and you will not after creating this thread i continued to do research on it. you however refuse to ever admit you're wrong and have no desire to have an honest discussion with me about this. its good you're done because its clear you lack the maturity to address the topic.

Catholics are uptight...and yes, the purpose of sex to Catholicism is procreation.

Otherwise birth control would be okay.

2370 Periodic continence, that is, the methods of birth regulation based on self-observation and the use of infertile periods, is in conformity with the objective criteria of morality.158

what say you to that ravi? seems to me that it says natural regulation or control is just fine, IOW, you can have sex when the woman cannot conceive.

:eusa_eh:

so the church is lying to their followers?

OMG!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

ARMAGGEDON!!!!

OMG!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

ARMAGGEDON!!!!

lol...i know...but i try my best to keep religious discussion civil and not bash other religions. the catholic church puzzles me the most among christian churches. i've spent some time studying them and have even gone to church and talked with priest. much of their catechisms and beliefs are out there, but i find it doesn't help the discussion or friendliness between churches to bash them as it only alienates the members.

not that you're bashing...

Could the catholic church really be anymore damaging to the planet? We have too many people people. This doesn't help.

Seriously? There are more Muslims in the world than Catholics. Could Islam be any more damaging to the planet?

Why all the Catholic bashing? Because of what they say concerning sex and procreating?

sex is biologically for procreation...but there are many benefits on top of that as in pleasure & companionship

Seriously? There are more Muslims in the world than Catholics. Could Islam be any more damaging to the planet?

Why all the Catholic bashing? Because of what they say concerning sex and procreating?

amazign isn't....

it has come to my attention that the catholic church believes and essentially commands that sex is only for procreation.

what is your understanding of this. especially if you are catholic. because from what I've read, catholicism teaches sex is for both procreation and unity or pleasure and they do not have to both be at the same time. IOW, you can have sex for pleasure and not just to procreate.

if that were true, wouldn't they be allowed to use contraception?

seems so...however...if you read the catechism, it makes a distinction....that is from the vatican website...here is the full text of that section:

2370 Periodic continence, that is, the methods of birth regulation based on self-observation and the use of infertile periods, is in conformity with the objective criteria of morality.158 These methods respect the bodies of the spouses, encourage tenderness between them, and favor the education of an authentic freedom. In contrast, "every action which, whether in anticipation of the conjugal act, or in its accomplishment, or in the development of its natural consequences, proposes, whether as an end or as a means, to render procreation impossible" is intrinsically evil:159

Thus the innate language that expresses the total reciprocal self-giving of husband and wife is overlaid, through contraception, by an objectively contradictory language, namely, that of not giving oneself totally to the other. This leads not only to a positive refusal to be open to life but also to a falsification of the inner truth of conjugal love, which is called upon to give itself in personal totality. . . . The difference, both anthropological and moral, between contraception and recourse to the rhythm of the cycle . . . involves in the final analysis two irreconcilable concepts of the human person and of human sexuality.160

the distinction is that the natural method still allows for the "possibility" of life, whereas man made contraception does not

it doesn't make that much sense to me....but that is the catholic ruling on sex, you can have sex not for procreation, so long as it is natural "regulation"...they even give footnotes to support their belief

since modbert claimed i am dishonest about this post...

i will give him the chance to show how i am dishonest

Forum List

Back