Catholic Church: Sex only for procreation

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Yurt, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    it has come to my attention that the catholic church believes and essentially commands that sex is only for procreation.

what is your understanding of this. especially if you are catholic. because from what I've read, catholicism teaches sex is for both procreation and unity or pleasure and they do not have to both be at the same time. IOW, you can have sex for pleasure and not just to procreate.
  2. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    here are the two comments:

the view of the church that sex is suppose to be only for procreation

The church however teaches that people should not have sex unless it's for only procreation

this is not a flame thread, rather i would like to see more of the board's opinion on this matter.
  3. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,952
    I'm not going to rehash three pages of what just went on in the other thread. This is the Church's view on sex and procreation. It doesn't mean I agree with it, that's it right, or that the bible even agrees with it. This is the modern day 2010 Catholic Church's stance.

Religious views on masturbation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Catholic Answers: This Rock: Quick Questions: Procreation

4. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    has a website, ya know.

Seach "sex"

Result:

I hope this helps.:eusa_pray:
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    not meant as a rehash, but thanks for putting forth what you believe supports your assertions...i note that you do not bold that portions that go against your claims...

for example you did not bold the first part:

to me, that clearly says there are two purposes for sex or marital relations...1. babies, 2. unity or bonding....i do not see anywhere where it says the bonding must accompany making babies, it says there are two purproses and it never says they must always be at the same time....

i found this from the vatican which does not support your assertion:

Catechism of the Catholic Church - The sixth commandment

the above says it is not simply biological, it is also about pleasure and it clearly states that sex has a two fold purpose 1. good of the spouses themselves and 2. biological, life
  6. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    further....it is clear the church approves of natural birth "regulation" (read control)

2370 Periodic continence, that is, the methods of birth regulation based on self-observation and the use of infertile periods, is in conformity with the objective criteria of morality.158

same link above and it is clear that one can have sex during times when the woman cannot conceive
  7. chanel

chanel Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,746
    Yurt - I am Catholic and we were required to attend several weeks of "pre Cana" before we were married - essentially marriage counseling. With a wink and a nod they discussed birth control. Most of the couples in our class were in their 20s and 30s and prob not a virgin amongst us. Catholicism is a very complicated religion with a book of rules the size of the US Tax code. People pick and choose those they agree with. I am pro choice as is my mother, sister in laws and Republican Catholic girlfriends. That's enough to make the Vatican, the GOP, and rdean's head explode. Lol
  8. Ravi

Ravi Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,571
    Catholics are uptight...and yes, the purpose of sex to Catholicism is procreation.

Otherwise birth control would be okay.
  9. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    2370 Periodic continence, that is, the methods of birth regulation based on self-observation and the use of infertile periods, is in conformity with the objective criteria of morality.158

Catechism of the Catholic Church - The sixth commandment

what say you to that ravi? seems to me that it says natural regulation or control is just fine, IOW, you can have sex when the woman cannot conceive.
  10. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    thanks for your reply. is the above catechism i posted valid?
  11. eagleseven

eagleseven Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,254
    Anyone who was raised Catholic can tell you that masturbation, oral sex, and using artificial birth control are sins.

...the rhythm method is the #1 way to have unplanned pregnancies, as half of my Catholic relatives can tell you. But it keeps the family large, and the Church growing!

---

You may not realize that the Catechism of the Catholic Church is longer than the Bible.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kJHQpvgB8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kJHQpvgB8[/ame]
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  12. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    no doubt, it is that way for non catholics as well...

so, is it true that the church says you can only have sex if it is for procreation? the way that reads is that you can engage in sex when it is not about procreation and your anecdotal evidence suggest many other catholics believe this to be true as well....
  13. Oscar Wao

Oscar Wao Victory is Mine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Catholics are against everything...why is this a surprise?

Sheesh, even when you've said your "I dos" in front of God and the congregation and made a promise to be together forever, there's STILL rules!

Guess the RCC ripped out the Song of Songs from their Bibles.
  14. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130
    if that were true, wouldn't they be allowed to use contraception?
  15. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,302
    Sex only for procreation? They may want to tell their priests that.
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  16. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    seems so...however...if you read the catechism, it makes a distinction....that is from the vatican website...here is the full text of that section:

the distinction is that the natural method still allows for the "possibility" of life, whereas man made contraception does not

it doesn't make that much sense to me....but that is the catholic ruling on sex, you can have sex not for procreation, so long as it is natural "regulation"...they even give footnotes to support their belief
  17. eagleseven

eagleseven Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,254
    Dogma states that every time you have sex, you must be open to the possibility of conception.

The rhythm method is considered acceptable because you are not modifying the body, nor modifying the sexual activity itself, in order to prevent conception. You are not preventing God from creating life, if he so wishes.

You may think it is splitting hairs, but for many Catholics, artificial birth control is a human attempt to control God, as God is the one who chooses to create life.
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  18. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    i don't usually go into the splitting hair thing when it comes to dogma or other people's faith. it is their faith. it doesn't make sense to me, but then again, it doesn't have to unless i want to believe their way.

nevertheless, it appears that catholics are allowed to have sex and to just have pleasure or unity sex without the need to procreate....just that it could happen, but you do not have to have sex only to procreate

thank you and that is how i read the catechism in the post above yours
  19. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,952
    The logic here is quite simple.

If sex was not only about procreation in the church, they would allow condoms and birth control. They would also allow masturbation. However, they do not. While one can take pleasure from sex, they have to keep in mind the main objective which is to have kids.

There's no way to logically state that the Catholic Church supports sex outside of attempting to have kids, and then say they're against aids that help you not have kids after sex.
  20. cad

cad Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    if more people actually followed the views of the church, who would be harmed?

i don't think that anyone here is for 13, 14 15 year old's having sex.
    how many people's lives have been forever altered/changed/ruined because they DIDN'T have sex at an early age? now how many lives have been "ruined" because they did?
    how many women would not have to make the (what i am hoping is a difficult) decision to have an abortion if they only had sex with their husband?