Cat Lovers Thread

I have always owned cats. First of all, I may very well owe a cat my life. When I was an infant in Texas, our cat killed a huge scorpion in my crib. I have owned cats ever since.

I have had so many. There have been a few that are worth mentioning.

Fuzzball: a kitten that I found abandoned in the snow. I named it Fuzzball because until it became an adult, it's hair stood straight on end. It was the most gorgeous chocolate brown I've ever seen.

Fred the Battle Cat: an ugly ass stray that had a neck and shoulders like a bull dog. He came to me all beat up one day. I fed him and he stuck around until he was healed the disappeared for a couple of days, coming back all beat up and bleeding again. This happened off and on for a couple of years then one day he never made it back to me.

Siggy: the cat I have now. He's a Russian Blue and he's the biggest damn cat I've ever seen. He looks like a small panther. He weighs 25 pounds and is not fat. This cat is also smart as a whip, can open latch handled doors, and thinks its a dog. You should see the fangs and claws on this cat. I have little doubt he could kill me if he wanted to, luckily for me he's a huge wuss.

Siggy sounds like a beautiful cat....OMG - 25 lbs....we had a Main Coon for about 16 years, who weighed 22 lbs., and we loved him. He was very friendly, would come up to guests, smell their legs, then look up at them as if to say, "you can pet me" - all our friends loved him. He died Christmas of 2012. He was up in age and we knew that he was on his last days because he couldn't walk very good, his hair had lost its luster and he laid in the same place for hours. We went to Alabama for Christmas and I was afraid that he would die while we were gone, but when we came home, we found him in our bathroom....since he had trouble walking, my hub carried him back to the room where the litter box and food were....I saw him hobble over to the litter box. The next morning my hub found him dead in the litter box....he never made it out. It's like he waited for us to come home so he could die....we miss him.

Here's his picture...
82b41534-6ea0-4875-a0d6-8468448b4288.JPG

Our Maine Coon named Bob Cat lived to be 17 years old. We bought him in a feed store in Eagle River, Alaska when he weighed 1 pound and he grew to 20 pounds. He was diabetic for the last 7 years of his life and I gave him 2 insulin shots a day for all 7 years. He reminded me it was time for his shot if I got busy doing something else and forgot.
Here is a picture of Bob in his festive Christmas-wear. His obvious enthusiasm says everything.
111bob.jpg

This is a "Cat Lovers" thread.....if you have a cat(s) and want to share about them, this would be a good place to do that.

I like all animals but I especially like cats. I have two indoor cats, both rescue, one with only 3 legs.

I have two outdoor cats. One outdoor cat belonged to my neighbor and she asked me to feed it while she was on vacation but now it turns out she's not coming back. It's a Toyger and she says it was quite expensive. It's a magnificent cat. Toyger has a gray, tri-colored feral friend. I feed them both and will get them an igloo when winter comes.

I can't bring Toyger inside because my two indoor cats don't get along with each other, and adding a third cat to that mix might be dangerous at this point. I am exhausted just trying to mediate between the two indoors that want my undivided attention while hissing and scratching at each other.

Thanks for sharing Genevieve.....we'd like to see some pictures, Toyger sounds like one of those beautiful cats I'd like to own someday.....:)

Here are a couple of pics. Toy talks a lot and is very affectionate. I am trying hard not to get attached because he's not really mine.......... though he has been pretty much abandoned by his owner. They could come back to claim him at some point.

Nose to nose with Spidey (who is very territorial although we've only had him 6 months):
111toy2.jpg

Our Maine Coon named Bob Cat lived to be 17 years old. We bought him in a feed store in Eagle River, Alaska when he weighed 1 pound and he grew to 20 pounds. He was diabetic for the last 7 years of his life and I gave him 2 insulin shots a day for all 7 years. He reminded me it was time for his shot if I got busy doing something else and forgot.
Here is a picture of Bob in his festive Christmas-wear. His obvious enthusiasm says everything.View attachment 31366

They are so funny.....here's our cat Oso with my son's cap....he was not amused.

8c954204-3da3-4c5f-9b19-7ecd7217870e_zpsea186c68.jpg

Here are a couple of pics. Toy talks a lot and is very affectionate. I am trying hard not to get attached because he's not really mine.......... though he has been pretty much abandoned by his owner. They could come back to claim him at some point.

Nose to nose with Spidey (who is very territorial although we've only had him 6 months):
View attachment 31368

Toyger looks a lot like my son's cat whom I call Freakyfritz because she is so freaky, everything frightens her.

P1010880_zpsa70a815d.jpg

View attachment 31368

Toyger looks a lot like my son's cat whom I call Freakyfritz but she is so freaky, everything frightens her.

P1010880_zpsa70a815d.jpg
Oh I get that "Freaky fritz" thing. Our 3-legged cat Spidey had just gotten over his amputation when we got him. He also lost his manhood at that same time (he is 4 years old so he was pretty used to that I think). I am certain he suffers from PTSD. Anytime anything touches him near the stump, he spazzes. Sometimes he is sleeping and thinks he's been touched.......and spazzes for a while. He has a phantom leg that he still scratches his left ear with. And sometimes when he wakes up he forgets he's missing a leg and flops around a bit. He had a rough time of it with all the loss and a new house with a cat living there on top of it. But he's pretty content now (as you can see in the picture I posted) and the PTSD acts up only rarely.

View attachment 31368

Toyger looks a lot like my son's cat whom I call Freakyfritz but she is so freaky, everything frightens her.

P1010880_zpsa70a815d.jpg
Oh I get that "Freaky fritz" thing. Our 3-legged cat Spidey had just gotten over his amputation when we got him. He also lost his manhood at that same time (he is 4 years old so he was pretty used to that I think). I am certain he suffers from PTSD. Anytime anything touches him near the stump, he spazzes. Sometimes he is sleeping and thinks he's been touched.......and spazzes for a while. He has a phantom leg that he still scratches his left ear with. And sometimes when he wakes up he forgets he's missing a leg and flops around a bit. He had a rough time of it with all the loss and a new house with a cat living there on top of it. But he's pretty content now (as you can see in the picture I posted) and the PTSD acts up only rarely.

We're taking her (Freaky Fritz) back to our son in California next month. My husband has gotten attached to her and had hoped that our son wouldn't want her back. We brought her home with us last Aug cause he was in the process of moving and was staying with friends who already had a cat and landlord wasn't going to allow another one. I'll miss her but in a way I'm glad she's going back. Our Cali never got used to her and they snarl at each other all the time.

I couldn't tell that Spidey only had 3 legs, I had to look again. Looks like he's Burmese or maybe has some Siamese in him? Glad that the PTSD doesn't act up too often, poor thing.

View attachment 31368

P1010880_zpsa70a815d.jpg

We're taking her (Freaky Fritz) back to our son in California next month. My husband has gotten attached to her and had hoped that our son wouldn't want her back. We brought her home with us last Aug cause he was in the process of moving and was staying with friends who already had a cat and landlord wasn't going to allow another one. I'll miss her but in a way I'm glad she's going back. Our Cali never got used to her and they snarl at each other all the time.

I couldn't tell that Spidey only had 3 legs, I had to look again. Looks like he's Burmese or maybe has some Siamese in him? Glad that the PTSD doesn't act up too often, poor thing.

Not sure what Spidey is. He looks Siamese with blue slightly-crossed eyes. He has no tail (that wasn't part of the amputation). He was a street cat until his leg got mangled. Then some college students had him taken care of and fostered him. My daughter who teaches at a state U told me about him and I knew he was mine. He has adapted well to indoor life so I doubt he was a street cat for long. They tried to find his owners, but nobody claimed him. My other cat Baby who is a Tuxedo girl lives up high and Spidey lives on the floor. They come nose to nose and he is curious and she hisses. If she gets down onto the floor he chases her and he will not allow her to use the cat box if he can keep her from it (they don't share a box but he doesn't like her using hers either). She adored Bob.......not so much Spidey. And since he attacks her when he can, it's no wonder. I give them daily lectures on getting along, but so far, my lectures aren't working.

Not sure what Spidey is. He looks Siamese with blue slightly-crossed eyes. He has no tail (that wasn't part of the amputation). He was a street cat until his leg got mangled. Then some college students had him taken care of and fostered him. My daughter who teaches at a state U told me about him and I knew he was mine. He has adapted well to indoor life so I doubt he was a street cat for long. They tried to find his owners, but nobody claimed him. My other cat Baby who is a Tuxedo girl lives up high and Spidey lives on the floor. They come nose to nose and he is curious and she hisses. If she gets down onto the floor he chases her and he will not allow her to use the cat box if he can keep her from it. She adored Bob.......not so much Spidey. And since he attacks her when he can, it's no wonder. I give them daily lectures on getting along, but so far, my lectures aren't working.

They sound just like Freaky and Cali. You can hear them chasing each other upstairs, they sound like horses. Our baby Dolly, gets along with all of them. She goes right up to them and bats at them in a playful manner and for some reason none of them hiss at her. We got her at the shelter, she's 18 months old, but hasn't gotten very big. Freaky and Cali are both fatsos. We also adopted my aunt's cat, Bootsie, when she went into a nursing home, and Bootsie is very docile. She stays mostly in one room, occasionally she will come downstairs but if the other cats are around she moseys on upstairs really quickly.

Not sure what Spidey is. He looks Siamese with blue slightly-crossed eyes. He has no tail (that wasn't part of the amputation). He was a street cat until his leg got mangled. Then some college students had him taken care of and fostered him. My daughter who teaches at a state U told me about him and I knew he was mine. He has adapted well to indoor life so I doubt he was a street cat for long. They tried to find his owners, but nobody claimed him. My other cat Baby who is a Tuxedo girl lives up high and Spidey lives on the floor. They come nose to nose and he is curious and she hisses. If she gets down onto the floor he chases her and he will not allow her to use the cat box if he can keep her from it. She adored Bob.......not so much Spidey. And since he attacks her when he can, it's no wonder. I give them daily lectures on getting along, but so far, my lectures aren't working.

They sound just like Freaky and Cali. You can hear them chasing each other upstairs, they sound like horses. Our baby Dolly, gets along with all of them. She goes right up to them and bats at them in a playful manner and for some reason none of them hiss at her. We got her at the shelter, she's 18 months old, but hasn't gotten very big. Freaky and Cali are both fatsos. We also adopted my aunt's cat, Bootsie, when she went into a nursing home, and Bootsie is very docile. She stays mostly in one room, occasionally she will come downstairs but if the other cats are around she moseys on upstairs really quickly.

Both of my cats want to be right by me. Baby likes to sit on my keyboard and Spidey at my feet. He and I seemed to bond the moment we met. I brought him home in my arms because I knew he would be scared .... and I knew better to do that with a full-grown cat I didn't know ... but he snuggled right into my arms and rode with me fine for the 45 minute car trip. I just wish they got along.

This picture is about the closest they can get without the hissing. Baby has a bed on my desk. Luckily it's a big desk.
111cats111.jpg

Both of my cats want to be right by me. Baby likes to sit on my keyboard and Spidey at my feet. He and I seemed to bond the moment we met. I brought him home in my arms because I knew he would be scared .... and I knew better to do that with a full-grown cat I didn't know ... but he snuggled right into my arms and rode with me fine for the 45 minute car trip. I just wish they got along.

This picture is about the closest they can get without the hissing. Baby has a bed on my desk. Luckily it's a big desk.
View attachment 31374

They are both so cute. All of ours are rather aloof with me. Cali and Freaky will jump up on my husband's lap while he is watching TV. Dolly is the only one that will cuddle next to me, but doesn't like being held. Bootsie is still rather shy and we've had her almost 10 months, now.

View attachment 31374

They are both so cute. All of ours are rather aloof with me. Cali and Freaky will jump up on my husband's lap while he is watching TV. Dolly is the only one that will cuddle next to me, but doesn't like being held. Bootsie is still rather shy and we've had her almost 10 months, now.

Neither of mine are lap cats and don't want me to pick them up. Baby wants to nuzzle my hands as I type. She wants pets. That's all. I pick them up anyway. When Spidey got used to all of us he didn't snuggle up to me and rarely does it now. It is good he did that that one day. But they both have to stay close to me (competition?). And they both talk to me a lot. Spidey has his big Siamese voice normally when calling out to me or when talking to the outdoor cats. But when he responds to me he uses a baby voice (I wonder if he's mocking me since I use a baby voice when talking to him).

Neither of mine are lap cats and don't want me to pick them up. Baby wants to nuzzle my hands as I type. She wants pets. That's all. I pick them up anyway. When Spidey got used to all of us he didn't snuggle up to me and rarely does it now. It is good he did that that one day. But they both have to stay close to me (competition?). And they both talk to me a lot. Spidey has his big Siamese voice normally when calling out to me or when talking to the outdoor cats. But when he responds to me he uses a baby voice (I wonder if he's mocking me since I use a baby voice when talking to him).

I find it amazing that although they are aloof, they all want to be where we are at. In the morning, when we are having breakfast they are all in the surrounding area. In the evening when we are watching TV they all have their spots in the den, close to where we are. Dolly will be up on the sofa with us, Cali will be on a mat on the floor, Fritz will be close by but not too close since she doesn't like Cali and Bootsie may be on the steps looking on.

The two outdoor cats, one of them doesn't like to be touched...will not allow you to, the other one is the same way except if you are sitting down, then he may come and rub on you for a pet. But, when we are walking in our yard (we have acreage), they follow us. It's so funny, we stop and they stop, we walk and they sometimes run in front or just follow.

Forum List

Back