Cast Iron

JustAnotherNut

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2015
Does anyone here have cast iron cookware that can give me some tips on how to care for it properly?

I do know it's porous and should not be washed with soap......only scrubbed & well rinsed in water, then set on a hot burner or in a hot oven to dry thoroughly.

Does anyone here have cast iron cookware that can give me some tips on how to care for it properly?

I do know it's porous and should not be washed with soap......only scrubbed & well rinsed in water, then set on a hot burner or in a hot oven to dry thoroughly.
The internet has discussions and YouTube has many videos on how to properly "season" cast iron skillets. .... :cool:

Last edited:
You already know the most important part. Don't wash it with detergent. Just rub it clean and smooth with hot water and an abrasive pad, let it dry, and wipe some oil on it.

I oil mine after washing. I don't have to heat them up every time.

Interesting....I had thought they needed 'dried' before oiling.

What about the things you cook in them? I'm leery of cooking spicy or acidic types of foods that the flavors could be absorbed

Wash it and grease it with lard or bacon grease. :)

Only thing I use it for anymore is cornbread. Since the Orgreenic, cornbread is the only thing it sees. You have to grease the pan for cornbread. -fact.

I usually use butter for pre-cornbread.

Only thing I use it for anymore is cornbread. Since the Orgreenic, cornbread is the only thing it sees. You have to grease the pan for cornbread. -fact.

What is 'Orgreenic'???

Cornbread was the first thing I used it for....best kind

You already know the most important part. Don't wash it with detergent. Just rub it clean and smooth with hot water and an abrasive pad, let it dry, and wipe some oil on it.

ie -cooking oil not motor oil --LOL

What is 'Orgreenic'???

Cornbread was the first thing I used it for....best kind

"Orgreenic" is one of the new technology pans that is ceramic, frying eggs roll around like magic. I don't have to wash spatulas, I just flip them with the pan. :eek:

Best gift my aunt ever gave me.

Always re-oil after wiping, otherwise it can rust. I love my cast iron skillets.

What about the things you cook in them? I'm leery of cooking spicy or acidic types of foods that the flavors could be absorbed

Bacon!

Can't beat burning bacon against iron. Microwave bacon is for the dim-witted.
I use George Foreman or toaster oven for that.

Forum List

Back