Cartoonists

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
Who's your favorite? What type? Political? Strange? Satirical? Just plain funny?

Admit it, you like like cartoons. No, not the Saturday morning tripe they feed kids, but the ones that leave ink on your finger tips. That's right, the ones we find in the newspaper. Remember the newspaper? Okay, let's call them "comics" if you must. No matter what you call them, it's the artist that makes them what they are. So who's your favorite?

Is because he's political? Is it because you just like to laugh? Perhaps you like a little social commentary in your comic? Gary Trudeau? Berkeley Breathed? Wiley Miller? Tom Wilson? Who is your must read? Do you prefer a strip or single panel? Maybe you're a Peanuts or Blondie person?

As for me, I prefer the single panel. I trace this preference back to my childhood. Growing up, my dad had the collections of Charles Addams and Gahan Wilson around the house. I never tired of thumbing through them. I always found something new with each perusal and the humor appealed to me. Ilearned that you did not need three or four panels to get your point across. If you were really good, itonly took one. As and adult, this joy of the single panel strip carried over as my favorite comics were and are Gary Larson's The Far Side and Wiley Miller's Non Sequitur.

Non Sequitur:

fh1206911242d7610fafd9d5aa548df7d9.gif
BQO_6Z83L_5U424BOQA.gif

F8585VQP28STV0N.gif
-S4JLGJT5JGVNSO.gif

Some of our younger members may not be familiar with the works Gahan Wilson or Charles Addams...

Wilson:

toons.jpg
GahanWilson2.jpg
crapola.gif

Clown.jpg
Heaven.jpg
wilson02.jpg

Addams:

fiddlesticks.jpg
Charles%20Addams%20House.jpg
ADDAMS%2B2.jpg

CharlesAdams2.jpg
charlesaddamscreeps-2.jpg
ChasAddamsCrop.jpg

I opted to skip posting any Larson panels, we all know The Far Side.

Those are great, thanks!

2450064620_21f8ae33a7.jpg

:lol: :lol:

I love Larson. His work carried on the best traditions of the single panel strip. Wiley Miller's work is mostly one panel, but he does do multi-panel strips from time to time. Especially on Sundays.

Forum List

Back