Cartoonist Ted Rall: "We Do Not Owe Our Liberties To The Military"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stephanie, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    #@#@$ #$#hole :chains: :nine:

Posted by Dave Pierre on February 3, 2006 - 23:27.
    In an especially contentious exchange on this evening's Hannity and Colmes (Friday February 3, 2006), cantankerous cartoonist Ted Rall, a guest on the program, unbelievably declared, "We do not owe our liberties to the military." The topic was the recent Washington Post cartoon by Tom Toles that has outraged many. The cartoon prompted a letter to the editor (linked at Michelle Malkin) from the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who tagged the the work as "beyond tasteless." Needless to say, Rall (who himself has created bigoted trash in the past) defended Toles' cruel piece. Here's the relevant exchange (audiotape on file, emphasis mine):

SEAN HANNITY: Here's what you're missing. The reason that you have the right to be mean, and you were mean to this guy [killed in Afghanistan, former NFL star Pat] Tillman, who gave up a football contract to save his country. The reason you have the right to be mean in your cartoons, and Toles has a right to mean and insensitive in his cartoons, is because of people like this (Sean holds up the WaPo cartoon) that literally put their lives on the line so you have the right for free expression. And you insult them and use them as props so you can make your left-wing political points.

RALL: Sean, you could not possibly be more wrong about the nature of this country. We do not owe our liberties to the military. We owe them to the Constitution. We have civilian rule in the United States --

HANNITY: The military preserves the Constitution. They put their lives on the line so that you have free speech. You do owe them.

RALL: The military doesn't give us free speech.

HANNITY: Yes, they do.

RALL: Thomas Jefferson and the Founding Fathers gave us free speech.

HANNITY: No. Because if they don't defend that Constitution, you don't have the right to be so wrong in your cartoons!

"We do not owe our liberties to our military"?? I'm sure George Washington would have had a few things to say about that, not to mention the generations of heroic young men who fought and died to protect and defend our precious liberties.

It was simply another pathetic display by Ted Rall. How ungrateful this man is. What a disgrace.

By the way, if Rall's comments weren't sad enough, co-host Alan Colmes claimed that the Joint Chiefs' letter to the Washington Post was "intimidating" and that there was a "chill of intimidation that goes right down the spine of the First Amendment." Puh-leeze, Alan.
    http://newsbusters.org/node/3898

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I caught the tail end of that interview on the replay of Hannity and Colmes tonight. I was only familiar with Rall through what I had heard and I've never seen any of his cartoons, so this was my first Rall experience.

What a complete and total bozo. I'm not sure what Mr. Rall thinks happend during the Revolutionary War, but Jefferson, Madison, and the other founding fathers could written anything they wanted, it would have meant nothing if the military hadn't defeated the British and won independence from England. I guess the idiot thinks if our military doesn't defend the country we'll still be able to benefit from the Constitution.

He's just another far left wing Liberal that thinks Freedom of Speech is a one way street. He can say what he wants, but nobody else has the Freedom of Speech to tell him he's wrong. The coward even tried to avoid some of Hannity's questions by insisting that the producer made a deal with him that certain things wouldn't be brought up. Even Alan Colmes sheepishly agreed that they never made deals with anyone. Hannity somehow managed to avoid calling him a liar to his face. I wouldn't have made it.

3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Rall is a clever lefty with some backbone, but it's too flat a statement to say that we don't owe our liberties to the military. What's really going through Rall's mind is this: "There's no connection between a zitty 20-year-old from Iowa enlisted in the Army toting an M-16 who probably couldn't identify a single provision of the Constitution and who, if given the chance, would unhesitatingly eliminate the right to free speech, and the reasoned, liberal and enlightened legal protection created by Jefferson and Madison." And indeed, the threat to free speech doesn't often come from foreign, but rather domestic, sources. And we don't need the military to protect us against libel suits. Same goes for most other liberties. They only require military protection to the extent that our nation is at risk of being taken over by those who would take them away, but what confuses things is that in the course of that happening, you'd probably see a big reduction in liberties anyway, so who knows. (Rall's also thinking, unfairly, that "the military is a bunch of white reactionary racists, and I hate to think of owing them ANYTHING. As I sit here in my Manhattan liberal dream world, I can't conceive of, and in fact despise, the lowly farmers in the midwest who feed me, the military men and women who protect me, and the white NYC cop who stands between me and the violent black man on the corner who I imagine is the savior of the world.)

But if Muslims attack Denmark over their cartoon, and the Danish military moves to protect, then indeed, free speech liberty WILL be owed to the military.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  4. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I d rep you Joyce but the system is rigged against you.

Good post though.,

5. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Mr Rall is the kind of guy you love to hate. But, by not silencing him it accomplishes two things.

First, it continues to demonstrate that his very existenace and continued stupidity prove that GWGB hasn't transformed America into the "vaterland".

Second, this guy and others like him piss off the folks in the middle. These are the folk who just move along life without taking sides or giving a damn. Normally they don't even bother to vote. But the extremeism and shock value of the Ralls et al, makes them vote the other way.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    This guy is obviously just another left-wingnut moron. Hell, worse. I figured even morons could do enough math to figure out the military is the what created this Nation, and has kept us solvent.

The fact that our government is run by civilians is irrelevant, since it is those civilians who control the military and/or when and where it goes and why.

7. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I'd like to think that this is a case of someone whose livelihood is made by communicating on paper just giving more power to the written word than is warranted. But in Rall's case I sense it is really no more than just another liberal, anti-military, anti-Republican agenda gone to extremes.

Of course he knows that our Constitution is the theoretical basis for our freedoms, and he also knows that it was the blood of American revolutionary soldiers that made it possible to live those freedoms.

I envision this to be true in Rall's world:
    After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Japan goes on to defeat U.S. forces. The Emperor prepares to invade and take over the U.S, but before he does, someone shows him... our Constitution.

He reads it, stops, and declares, "No, we cannot invade the U.S.! They have this Constitution which gives them freedoms!

And back to Japan they go, soundly defeated by a piece of paper.

Yeah, Ted. We believe that you believe that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    He's another great reason why there needs to be Liberal Snipers in this country.... .:p

9. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    First let me say one thing: Thomas Jefferson isn't an author of the Constitution. At the time of its writing, he was serving as the US ambassador to France. As such, the Constitution isn't really his words. However, Jefferson was responsible for formulating the words of the Declaration and the actualy "writing" of it.

The military is partly responsible our freedom. The soldiers of the revoulution allowed the Founders to write Articles of Confederation to be written. Upon its success as a failure, the founders got back together and wrote the Constitution. Of course the Constitution was attacked almost immediantly when President Adams signed the Aliens and Seditions Act. However, I feel that other people, things, and events have helped preserve our freedoms. Of course the Constitution itself created the system of checks and balances within the government that prevent anyone from grabbing power. George Washington for not only fighting the revolution but establishing so many important precedents as our first president. The judiciary for its viligence over the centuries in defending the Constitution. Individual members of the populace and government who believe in freedom, and, most importantly, an education system that renforces the concept of freedom in our children's minds to the point where they cannot accept another system..

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    We've covered this ground before, but I didn't see anyone bring up Jefferson writing the Constitution. Do you believe that Jefferson wasn't instrumental in rights enjoyed being placed into the Constitution, via The Declaration of Independence and other writings?
    Well won't disagree with the above. Still unsure of what any of this has to do with the topic of military protecting our rights. :dunno: I guess I'm missing something in your post.