Cars

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
Okay car guys/Dads…
Your car opinions and recommendations for a 17 year old girl.

I say a tank, she wants a Acura RSX-S type. I drove a 2002 and it’s, ahhhh maybe a mid performer IMO, but IT IS A SPORTS CAR and DAD says NO.

Thoughts…..

Mr. P said:
Okay car guys/Dads…
Your car opinions and recommendations for a 17 year old girl.

I say a tank, she wants a Acura RSX-S type. I drove a 2002 and it’s, ahhhh maybe a mid performer IMO, but IT IS A SPORTS CAR and DAD says NO.

Thoughts…..
Please, oh please, don't get her a huge SUV. Make her drive an old volvo. Ugly, safe, and humbling, just like my first car.

Please, oh please, don't get her a huge SUV. Make her drive an old volvo. Ugly, safe, and humbling, just like my first car.

Get her a hybrid whatever you do. Otherwise she'll be spending all her money on what little gas she can afford.

I wouldn't get her a new car. You need to drive a piece of shit before you get a new car, that way you appreciate it more. Not piece of shit as in unreliable, but something that might have a little rust. That way she won't be gung-ho about always driving everyone everywhere, and it won't be a big deal when she bumps the garage or another car in a parking lot.

I'm thinking 1957 Chevy..Easy to work on..cheap to insure..and it's a Tank.. :eek:

No new car or SUV...Just looking at this point, and looking for something cheap enough she can foot the major part of the bill, but safe.

A Gremlin. Its a tank, easy to work on, cheap to insure, not a collector's car, and humbling all at the same time...

I would go for something bigger - maybe a Ford Explorer or the like.

Big, sturdy, dependable. Someone crashes into it, it provided good protection.

Yes..big engine, not the greatest gas mileage in the world.

Yes..gas is expensive. She may have to work more hours to earn gas money, or if she doesn't work, will have to plan her trips more carefully. Just like adults do.

And if she can't afford gas, she can't drive the car that much.

Which isn't a bad thing.

GotZoom said:
I would go for something bigger - maybe a Ford Explorer or the like.

Big, sturdy, dependable. Someone crashes into it, it provided good protection.

Yes..big engine, not the greatest gas mileage in the world.

Yes..gas is expensive. She may have to work more hours to earn gas money, or if she doesn't work, will have to plan her trips more carefully. Just like adults do.

And if she can't afford gas, she can't drive the car that much.

Which isn't a bad thing.
Not to mention the cost of insurance..Even with USAA..

I put my kids in a Chrysler LeBaron first. Subsequently they went into old Olds, Chevys and Fords-the bigger ones. Now they drive-Pontiac Grand Am, Maxda RX something-from the 80's, (that's the college kid that works in the summer and is paying for college through scholarship, RA, and loans), and Honda Prelude. All are in their 20's now, I'm not as nervous-well except for my daughter-she the one that says that cars and trees have come out of 'no where'. :eek:

GotZoom said:
At least she is female. Imagine if you had a son.
Hummm..well there are pluses to a son.
A Son would cost more insurance wise, but I’d only need to worry about 1 penis.
A Daughter is cheaper insurance wise, but I have to worry about thousand of D…….
Well You know… :eek: :cry:

used volvo....boxy but good....oh and remove the back seat and wire the dome light to on at all times....

Forum List

Back