Carl Sagan in 1985, addressing the UN on anthropogenic climate change

Dr Sagan also predicted, at the time, that Nuclear Winter was the greatest threat facing mankind.

Once a scientist becomes more interested in publicity than research, he ceases to be a scientist.

Once a scientist becomes more interested in publicity than research, he ceases to be a scientist.
Publicity sometimes seeks the great communicators. Publicity? yes, I am sure Sagan family raking in the royalties and basking in the attention from the 1985 CSPAN appearance.

Dr Sagan also predicted, at the time, that Nuclear Winter was the greatest threat facing mankind.

The earth is literally getting greener. Today, there are five percent more foliage than twenty years ago, and it is primarily ambitious tree planting projects and intensive agriculture, mainly in China and India, that are behind the increase. This according to satellite data from NASA Earth Observatory.

Which is still correct. That's the greatest existential threat to mankind. That is not a prediction. It's a simple statement of fact.
Yeah, sure. Bold proclamations when you cannot be refuted do not really impress. Carl Sagan was an avowed atheist. Shocking that one’s hyper intelligence combined with ego can become a deadly combination. At least that’s how other great minds are stunned by some these boastful unbelievers.

Jonathan Swift (17th century English satirist) speaking of the achievements of science and its reflection upon its own laurels. ---- "And he, whose fortunes and dispositions have placed him in a convenient station to enjoy the fruits of this noble art; he that can with Epicurus content his ideas with the films and images that fly-off upon his senses from the superficies of things; such a man truly wise, creams off nature, leaving the sour and the dregs for philosophy and reason to lap up. This is the sublime and refined point of felicity, called, the possession of being well deceived; the serene peaceful state of being a fool among knaves."

“Take away the supernatural, and what remains is the unnatural.” -- Chesterton

Yeah, sure. Bold proclamations when you cannot be refuted do not really impress.
But they can be. Show a mechanism by which the greenhouse effect does act to not warm the earth. It's just that simple. These "bold claims" are where the evidence takes us.
Carl Sagan was an avowed atheist. Shocking that one’s hyper intelligence combined with ego can become a deadly combination.
Totally irrelevant. Stick to the ideas.

But they can be. Show a mechanism by which the greenhouse effect does act to not warm the earth. It's just that simple. These "bold claims" are where the evidence takes us.

According to consensus science. the last ice age lasted from 150,000 BC to 10,000 BC. Then the earth somehow quickly warmed up and has remained that way ever since. When you or Carl can tell me how man could have stopped that warm up --- or caused it --- then I will listen to your peripheral prophecies that have made human-induced global warmists so smart.

According to consensus science.
"Consensus science"

No idea what that is.

The consensus arises because of the evidence, not the other way around.
the last ice age lasted from 150,000 BC to 10,000 BC. Then the earth somehow quickly warmed up and has remained that way ever since. When you or Carl can tell me how man could have stopped that warm up --- or caused it --- then I will listen to your peripheral prophecies that have made human-induced global warmists so smart.
Well that's an absurd standard you have contrived. So, when you consider that the same people who discovered and taught you those facts are sounding alarms on climate change... do you ever pause and consider the idea that you don't know what you are talking about? And maybe.. they do? You know, since you just cited their other discoveries.

"Consensus science"

No idea what that is.

The consensus arises because of the evidence, not the other way around.

Well that's an absurd standard you have contrived. So, when you consider that the same people who discovered and taught you those facts are sounding alarms on climate change... do you ever pause and consider the idea that you don't know what you are talking about? And maybe.. they do? You know, since you just cited their other discoveries.
I am not saying science is always wrong, far from it. Are you suggesting that science is wrong about this ice age they teach about? Consensus means generally agreed upon. So given the premise this ice age occurred, my questions remain... unanswered.

Forum List

Back