Captain's Mast

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
I had no idea until I watched this video that when you face discipline in the Navy, you stand before your shipmates while your charges are leveled against you.

In the Army, when you have UCMJ action (Uniform Code of Military Justice) this is done behind closed doors, with you, your commander, the aggreived, and perhaps your platoon sergeant, being the only ones in attendance. Not so in the Navy.

I had no idea until I watched this video that when you face discipline in the Navy, you stand before your shipmates while your charges are leveled against you.

In the Army, when you have UCMJ action (Uniform Code of Military Justice) this is done behind closed doors, with you, your commander, the aggreived, and perhaps your platoon sergeant, being the only ones in attendance. Not so in the Navy.

Showing up to Captains Mast like that is basically the same thing as slapping your boss in the face out of nowhere; you can expect to be fired and charged with a crime. Its difficult to describe how egregious this move was to anyone who wasnt in the military. The back talk to a fucking CAPTAIN is mind boggling too. That simply does not happen. Ive never even heard of backtalk to a Captain in stories.

Mine was for weed. Not a huge deal, I guess.

The more severe cases usually get courts martial.
You?
1698876135625.jpeg

Good. Should be good motivation NOT to be a complete idiot when you sign up for the military. If you have trouble following a few simple rules then don't join the Navy.

Last edited:
It always amazed me with people who simply could not follow orders. I saw so many people wash out of Basic just because they could not tolerate being yelled out, or because they could not keep their mouths shut when being instructed to do something, be it their squad leader or the drill sergeant. No sense of self discipline whatsoever, and I think this behavior is likely getting worse these days. This guy standing before his commander is a perfect example.

odanny

That's not normal. Never saw it in the many commands I was in over my 20 year career. Typically it's:
  1. The CO
  2. Command Master Chief
  3. Division Officer
  4. Division Chief
  5. Legal Officer
  6. The Accused
  7. and (maybe) someone whose presence has been requested for a relevant statement.

I've never seen one held in public like this, not saying it can't be done. But it's not the norm.

WW
ATC(AW/NAC)
USN, Ret.

odanny

That's not normal. Never saw it in the many commands I was in over my 20 year career. Typically it's:
  1. The CO
  2. Command Master Chief
  3. Division Officer
  4. Division Chief
  5. Legal Officer
  6. The Accused
  7. and (maybe) someone whose presence has been requested for a relevant statement.

I've never seen one held in public like this, not saying it can't be done. But it's not the norm.

WW
ATC(AW/NAC)
USN, Ret.

I stand corrected, the Chief of the Boat (COB) was at mine too.

odanny

1. The CO
  2. Command Master Chief
  3. Division Officer
  4. Division Chief
  5. Legal Officer
  6. The Accused

WW
ATC(AW/NAC)
USN, Ret.
Do you know why this situation would have been different? This was aboard the U.S.S. Wyoming, if that matters.

This was also done while the ship was at sea. I saw that quite a while back and was shaking my head the entire time I watched it.

And interestingly, the accused actually can request that the hearing be public. But only as a request, it is not a mandate and that can be refused. So needless to say, very few actually request that. I only heard of that happening once in my entire career, and it was before I joined the unit. But it was legendary even months later as the accused literally crapped his pants on purpose during the proceedings. Which resulted in his being taken into custody, the Article 15 being suspended and being forwarded to a Summary Court Martial with additional charges (which he was convicted of and given a OTH).

It looks like an informal hearing probably held in a meeting room. Not typical but it shows the power of the internet to generate inaccurate opinions.

I didn't watch the end of it yet and only heard the first two articles he was charged with (109 and I think 61) but he is gonna do time in the brig and clearly DGAF.

In my experience in the Army, it was Commander, Commander Sergeant Major, his Company Commander, 1SG, and maybe a platoon commander. If it was a Battalion or Brigade Article 15 hearing, the legal NCO (paralegal) might be present.

An aside: the Battalion Legal Clerk was an iffy position if the Commander did not want to do something the JAG office wanted done. One guy went with his Battalion Commander and ignored to tell the JAG liaison until it was over. The JAG had the Brigade Commander interview the Legal Clerk for possible punishment, and when asked what he thought (very unusual, I think for a Brigade Commander to ask a SSG that), he replied, "I can only serve one commander, and that is my Battalion Commander. If I were your Legal Clerk, I would serve you first then the JAG Office." Nothing negative happened to him.

Forum List

Back