Capitalistic RIP OFF! Warning!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
So, this morning I decide to look on line at Home Depot and Lowes for a wood stove. We were going to buy one last year and never got a chance. Both Home depot and Lowes had the same stove to heat a 1500 square foot home for around $599 last year, the same parent company made them for both companies, under each company's private label or exclusive label...but my research found that it was the same company making both and the features and benefits of the toves at both stores were identical...but at times one store over the other offered free shipping....

I go to home depot and the cheapest stove is around $1200 bucks this year!!!!!!!!

Go to lowes and about the same, 2 for $1000 bucks but many for $2000! And NOTHING LAST YEAR WAS $2000, $1400 was the mnost expensive stove and it was for a pellet stove which are more expensive...

Both stores were the same, they raised their prices by 30% to 50% from last year and I am so pissed we did not buy it last year before they decided to GOUGE US...

At first, coming from the retail industry, I thought what in the world could have caused these astronomical price increases on EPA approved wood stoves? Could it be the metal that had spiked in cost, or the labor in the foreign country making them spiked?

Then I thought, those son of bitches expect heating oil prices to hit highs and people being willing to pay more for a wood stove...hmmm, I said to myself, I am really hitting on something and lowes and home depot decided to PRICE FIX together on it...which is ILLEGAL btw....

THEN the real LIGHT BULB WENT OFF...the son of a bitches at home depot and lowes raised their prices on EPA APPROVED wood stoves 30% or more on last year's prices......

DRUM ROLLLLLLL.....................

Because we have a 30% TAX CREDIT available from our government's stimulus package to encourage the purchase or investment in any heating system that is good for the environment, and the newer wood stoves emit nothing now, so they qualified for this credit...

AND THE SOB BUYERS at Lowes and home depot decided to GOUGE US and raise their prices so that the TAX CREDIT is worth nothing to us consumers and they get to pocket the money for selling $1200 wood stoves to us while the government's tax credit that was suppose to actually be for us is essentially given to the BIG CORPORATION that raised their prices for the event, and not us....

This is NOT the government's fault...this is pure GREED of the corporation and price fixing by them both, imo, so that they both have the same prices...instead on one of them not raising their prices, we have them in cahoots on pricing.

Damn it....this really pisses me off...

Care

So, this morning I decide to look on line at Home Depot and Lowes for a wood stove. We were going to buy one last year and never got a chance. Both Home depot and Lowes had the same stove to heat a 1500 square foot home for around $599 last year, the same parent company made them for both companies, under each company's private label or exclusive label...but my research found that it was the same company making both and the features and benefits of the toves at both stores were identical...but at times one store over the other offered free shipping....

I go to home depot and the cheapest stove is around $1200 bucks this year!!!!!!!!

Go to lowes and about the same, 2 for $1000 bucks but many for $2000! And NOTHING LAST YEAR WAS $2000, $1400 was the mnost expensive stove and it was for a pellet stove which are more expensive...

Both stores were the same, they raised their prices by 30% to 50% from last year and I am so pissed we did not buy it last year before they decided to GOUGE US...

At first, coming from the retail industry, I thought what in the world could have caused these astronomical price increases on EPA approved wood stoves? Could it be the metal that had spiked in cost, or the labor in the foreign country making them spiked?

Then I thought, those son of bitches expect heating oil prices to hit highs and people being willing to pay more for a wood stove...hmmm, I said to myself, I am really hitting on something and lowes and home depot decided to PRICE FIX together on it...which is ILLEGAL btw....

THEN the real LIGHT BULB WENT OFF...the son of a bitches at home depot and lowes raised their prices on EPA APPROVED wood stoves 30% or more on last year's prices......

Because we have a 30% TAX CREDIT available from our government's stimulus package to encourage the purchase or investment in any heating system that is good for the environment, and the newer wood stoves emit nothing now, so they qualified for this credit...

AND THE SOB BUYERS at Lowes and home depot decided to GOUGE US and raise their prices so that the TAX CREDIT is worth nothing to us consumers and they get to pocket the money for selling $1200 wood stoves to us while the government's tax credit that was suppose to actually be for us is essentially given to the BIG CORPORATION that raised their prices for the event, and not us....

This is NOT the government's fault...this is pure GREED of the corporation and price fixing by them both, imo, so that they both have the same prices...instead on one of them not raising their prices, we have them in cahoots on pricing.

Care

Do you believe that you should be able to make as much money as you can, or is it only wrong when the big evil corporations make money?

do you believe that you should be able to make as much money as you can, or is it only wrong when the big evil corporations make money?

$strawman.jpg

Care

Do you believe that you should be able to make as much money as you can, or is it only wrong when the big evil corporations make money?

Why do you ask the question and what does it have to do with what was done with this? :eusa_eh:

Why do you ask the question and what does it have to do with what was done with this? :eusa_eh:

BGG pulled out a strawman. He wants to make you look bad for daring to show that the Corporations are ripping off people. I'm assuming his perfect world would be a world with no regulation although I could be wrong. Don't mind him and thank you for telling this story.

i don't know what you're looking for exactly, but there seems to be a bunch of the on craigslist. i don't think they wear out so i'd buy a used one.

classifieds - craigslist

Not sure if you'd want to buy anything off Craiglists considering it might be stolen. :lol:

Though I have found instances where one could "buy" the time of a certain type of lady off Craigslist. :lol:

Care

Do you believe that companies like Home Depot and Lowes are ethical when they raise the prices of their products, because they know our government is going to give the consumer the 30% off to purchase it?

When this was suppose to stimulate business for them by having their NORMAL RETAIL prices, but the consumer given a 30% rebate so to STIMULATE the purchase of EPA friendly wood stoves...

where they once would not be purchased because the $600-$900 bucks plus installation was TOO MUCH MONEY for many....so the 30% rebate on the normal price of $600-$900 bucks.... a consumer could get the $600 stove for $420 bucks and a $900 buck stove for $630.... this was to stimulate sales...NOT for home depot and Lowes to GOUGE by raising their prices the 30% so that now out of our own pockets we are paying the THOUSAND BUCKS and have to wait to get the gvt 30% rebate just to bring us down to the price that the stove ORIGINALLY PRICED AT IN THE FIRST PLACE?

I am sorry, this is wrong Basic, it just is....I have been in retail my entire life and there is no way this is kosher...

and home depot and lowes are ripping off the government as well....BIG TIME.

Now we know WHO REALLY BENEFITS...and it ain't us, when it comes to those two...at least the car industry DID NOT HIKE THEIR PRICES UP before the case for clunkers event...

i don't know what you're looking for exactly, but there seems to be a bunch of the on craigslist. i don't think they wear out so i'd buy a used one.

classifieds - craigslist

Not sure if you'd want to buy anything off Craiglists considering it might be stolen. :lol:

Though I have found instances where one could "buy" the time of a certain type of lady off Craigslist. :lol:

i hear you, but i don't think many people outside the mass legislature would steal a wood stove. they, of course, would steal it while it was in use and come back for the smoke.

BGG pulled out a strawman. He wants to make you look bad for daring to show that the Corporations are ripping off people. I'm assuming his perfect world would be a world with no regulation although I could be wrong. Don't mind him and thank you for telling this story.

The point that seems to escape you and care is that the two corporations mentioned are not evil. It is care that was using the straw argument. I was merely questioning her to ascertain if she was consistent in her viewpoint. She deflected.

My post was apropos. Not liking my post does not negate it's relevance.

Nice attempt with turning the tables Dogbert. You failed.

Last edited:
The point that seems to escape you and care is that the two corporations mentioned are not evil. It is care that was using the straw argument. I was merely questioning her to ascertain if she was consistent in her viewpoint. She deflected.

Where did we ever call them evil? Oh wait, we didn't. Try again next time Strawman. She was simply showing a obvious case of Greed, so try again.

Care

Do you believe that companies like Home Depot and Lowes are ethical when they raise the prices of their products, because they know our government is going to give the consumer the 30% off to purchase it?

When this was suppose to stimulate business for them by having their NORMAL RETAIL prices, but the consumer given a 30% rebate so to STIMULATE the purchase of EPA friendly wood stoves...

where they once would not be purchased because the $600-$900 bucks plus installation was TOO MUCH MONEY for many....so the 30% rebate on the normal price of $600-$900 bucks.... a consumer could get the $600 stove for $420 bucks and a $900 buck stove for $630.... this was to stimulate sales...NOT for home depot and Lowes to GOUGE by raising their prices the 30% so that now out of our own pockets we are paying the THOUSAND BUCKS and have to wait to get the gvt 30% rebate just to bring us down to the price that the stove ORIGINALLY PRICED AT IN THE FIRST PLACE?

I am sorry, this is wrong Basic, it just is....I have been in retail my entire life and there is no way this is kosher...

and home depot and lowes are ripping off the government as well....BIG TIME.

Now we know WHO REALLY BENEFITS...and it ain't us, when it comes to those two...at least the car industry DID NOT HIKE THEIR PRICES UP before the case for clunkers event...

Great points care. And it's actually an argument for keeping the government out of the formula so the natural market forces will flow properly and greed may end up in better check, no?

Sorry Care, but Lowes has EPA approved wood stoves on their website that heat 1800 square feet for as low as $729.

Summers Heat at Lowe's: 1,800 Sq. Ft. Wood Burning Stove

There are two models on display at our local store under $650.

No they don't...put in a zip near me...try 04669 or 04605 where they make you put in a store location near you...

I did, it said:

In Store
Buy online and pickup at your local Lowe's store: LOWE'S OF ELLSWORTH, ME​

This is going to get me in trouble with my dear friend Care, but I can't resist... if it is shoes, then Yes, she believes... other products... Heck no!

Hi Care! Hope all is well with you.

Immie

Where did we ever call them evil? Oh wait, we didn't. Try again next time Strawman. She was simply showing a obvious case of Greed, so try again.

1) There is nothing wrong with capitalistic greed in this regard.

2) Care creates a thread title to the contrary

3) Care paints said corporations as evil ( my word ) just because they have prices she doesn't like.

It is care that used straw and logical fallacy to create her post. And because I point that ugly truth out and put a damper on her rant, I am accused of using a strawman against her. You need to read her post again Dogbert. Take off your biased glasses though.

Care, if both stoves are made by the same manufacturer it is the manufacturer that has probably raised the rates, not Lowes and Home Depot.

I think you are correct about them raising the rates because of oil prices...companies price gouge whenever they can get away with it.

Forum List

Back