Capitalistic RIP OFF! Warning!

I think buying one off of craigslist or ebay is a great alternative. I've bought two tvs off of craigslist over the past 6 months for waaay cheap.

I think buying one off of craigslist or ebay is a great alternative. I've bought two tvs off of craigslist over the past 6 months for waaay cheap.

What a steal then, it's like they just fell off a truck. ;) :eusa_whistle:

So, this morning I decide to look on line at Home Depot and Lowes for a wood stove. We were going to buy one last year and never got a chance. Both Home depot and Lowes had the same stove to heat a 1500 square foot home for around $599 last year, the same parent company made them for both companies, under each company's private label or exclusive label...but my research found that it was the same company making both and the features and benefits of the toves at both stores were identical...but at times one store over the other offered free shipping....

I go to home depot and the cheapest stove is around $1200 bucks this year!!!!!!!!

Go to lowes and about the same, 2 for $1000 bucks but many for $2000! And NOTHING LAST YEAR WAS $2000, $1400 was the mnost expensive stove and it was for a pellet stove which are more expensive...

Both stores were the same, they raised their prices by 30% to 50% from last year and I am so pissed we did not buy it last year before they decided to GOUGE US...

At first, coming from the retail industry, I thought what in the world could have caused these astronomical price increases on EPA approved wood stoves? Could it be the metal that had spiked in cost, or the labor in the foreign country making them spiked?

Then I thought, those son of bitches expect heating oil prices to hit highs and people being willing to pay more for a wood stove...hmmm, I said to myself, I am really hitting on something and lowes and home depot decided to PRICE FIX together on it...which is ILLEGAL btw....

THEN the real LIGHT BULB WENT OFF...the son of a bitches at home depot and lowes raised their prices on EPA APPROVED wood stoves 30% or more on last year's prices......

DRUM ROLLLLLLL.....................

Because we have a 30% TAX CREDIT available from our government's stimulus package to encourage the purchase or investment in any heating system that is good for the environment, and the newer wood stoves emit nothing now, so they qualified for this credit...

AND THE SOB BUYERS at Lowes and home depot decided to GOUGE US and raise their prices so that the TAX CREDIT is worth nothing to us consumers and they get to pocket the money for selling $1200 wood stoves to us while the government's tax credit that was suppose to actually be for us is essentially given to the BIG CORPORATION that raised their prices for the event, and not us....

This is NOT the government's fault...this is pure GREED of the corporation and price fixing by them both, imo, so that they both have the same prices...instead on one of them not raising their prices, we have them in cahoots on pricing.

Damn it....this really pisses me off...

Care
So much for that free lunch!

The really sad news is that you cannot see through your political ideology to notice the cause and effect of gubmint handouts.

The point that seems to escape you and care is that the two corporations mentioned are not evil. It is care that was using the straw argument. I was merely questioning her to ascertain if she was consistent in her viewpoint. She deflected.

My post was apropos. Not liking my post does not negate it's relevance.

Nice attempt with turning the tables Dogbert. You failed.

Where did we ever call them evil? Oh wait, we didn't. Try again next time Strawman. She was simply showing a obvious case of Greed, so try again.

1) There is nothing wrong with capitalistic greed in this regard.

2) Care creates a thread title to the contrary

3) Care paints said corporations as evil ( my word ) just because they have prices she doesn't like.

It is care that used straw and logical fallacy to create her post. And because I point that ugly truth out and put a damper on her rant, I am accused of using a strawman against her. You need to read her post again Dogbert. Take off your biased glasses though.

Care has simply made an observation and expressed her gut reaction to observing SOMETHING out of balance with this apparent extra margin of gouging.

The market is a natural balance of greed and need. If that 30% margin didn't exist, greed wouldn't be able to step in and intrude on people's need for affordable heat. There would be a more proper natural balance between the business needing a profit and the customer needing the affordable product.

Last edited:
The point that seems to escape you and care is that the two corporations mentioned are not evil. It is care that was using the straw argument. I was merely questioning her to ascertain if she was consistent in her viewpoint. She deflected.

My post was apropos. Not liking my post does not negate it's relevance.

Nice attempt with turning the tables Dogbert. You failed.

Where did we ever call them evil? Oh wait, we didn't. Try again next time Strawman. She was simply showing a obvious case of Greed, so try again.
This is a case of gubmint (predictably) driving up the prices of things, through their ill-advised and extremely ignorant policies of subsidization.

Of course, the same thing could be said about Pell grants and GSLs driving up the costs of education, but leftist nose pickers, who are completely ignorant of even the most rudimentary economic models, can't ever seem to make the connection.

This is a case of gubmint (predictably) driving up the prices of things, through their ill-advised and extremely ignorant policies of subsidization.

Of course, the same thing could be said about Pell grants and GSLs driving up the costs of education, but leftist nose pickers, who are completely ignorant of even the most rudimentary economic models, can't ever seem to make the connection.

Not at all, the Government helps give tax credits and credits to people (that Republicans always rave about by the way) and these companies in turn raised the prices. Which is exactly why those Republicans in Congress offering up just merely tax credits to solve the Health Care problem are idiots since this is what will happen.

As for the Pell Grants, they help many people afford college better. Though you probably don't like that, since it's just another "Government handout" huh? :eusa_eh:

Not at all, the Government helps give tax credits and credits to people (that Republicans always rave about by the way) and these companies in turn raised the prices. Which is exactly why those Republicans in congress offering up just merely tax credits to solve the Health Care problem are idiots since this is what will happen.

As for the Pell Grants, they help many people afford college better. Though you probably don't like that, since it's just another "Government handout" huh? :eusa_eh:

Fine....Then you're going to have to deal with and quit sniveling about the increased costs brought about by the increased demand from people seeking the free lunch.

The medical care thing is a non sequitur, as we don't have anywhere near the free market in medicine as theer is in wood stoves.

Last edited:
Fine....Then you're going to have to deal with and quit sniveling about the increased costs brought about by the increased demand from people seeking the free lunch.

Seeking a better life and a free lunch are two different things. To keep a Pell Grant for example, you have to work your ass off in college. The same goes for any other Grants as far as I know.

I also noticed you ignored my point about the tax credits. Your point just basically bashed the entire Republican Agenda on Health Care excluding Medical Malpractice reform.

So, this morning I decide to look on line at Home Depot and Lowes for a wood stove. We were going to buy one last year and never got a chance. Both Home depot and Lowes had the same stove to heat a 1500 square foot home for around $599 last year, the same parent company made them for both companies, under each company's private label or exclusive label...but my research found that it was the same company making both and the features and benefits of the toves at both stores were identical...but at times one store over the other offered free shipping....

I go to home depot and the cheapest stove is around $1200 bucks this year!!!!!!!!

Go to lowes and about the same, 2 for $1000 bucks but many for $2000! And NOTHING LAST YEAR WAS $2000, $1400 was the mnost expensive stove and it was for a pellet stove which are more expensive...

Both stores were the same, they raised their prices by 30% to 50% from last year and I am so pissed we did not buy it last year before they decided to GOUGE US...

At first, coming from the retail industry, I thought what in the world could have caused these astronomical price increases on EPA approved wood stoves? Could it be the metal that had spiked in cost, or the labor in the foreign country making them spiked?

Then I thought, those son of bitches expect heating oil prices to hit highs and people being willing to pay more for a wood stove...hmmm, I said to myself, I am really hitting on something and lowes and home depot decided to PRICE FIX together on it...which is ILLEGAL btw....

THEN the real LIGHT BULB WENT OFF...the son of a bitches at home depot and lowes raised their prices on EPA APPROVED wood stoves 30% or more on last year's prices......

DRUM ROLLLLLLL.....................

Because we have a 30% TAX CREDIT available from our government's stimulus package to encourage the purchase or investment in any heating system that is good for the environment, and the newer wood stoves emit nothing now, so they qualified for this credit...

AND THE SOB BUYERS at Lowes and home depot decided to GOUGE US and raise their prices so that the TAX CREDIT is worth nothing to us consumers and they get to pocket the money for selling $1200 wood stoves to us while the government's tax credit that was suppose to actually be for us is essentially given to the BIG CORPORATION that raised their prices for the event, and not us....

This is NOT the government's fault...this is pure GREED of the corporation and price fixing by them both, imo, so that they both have the same prices...instead on one of them not raising their prices, we have them in cahoots on pricing.

Damn it....this really pisses me off...

Care
So much for that free lunch!

The really sad news is that you cannot see through your political ideology to notice the cause and effect of gubmint handouts.

who said i can't?

it is very clear that the gvt stimulus money in this case, was taken advantage of by the retailer.... and a gvt waste!

Couple this with the fact that wood burning stoves are being outlawed in many areas, and the companies that make them have to somehow recoup their losses.

Couple this with the fact that wood burning stoves are being outlawed in many areas, and the companies that make them have to somehow recoup their losses.

The companies made these stoves knowing the fact. It's their fault if they made too many, not the consumer. Yet you want the consumer to take punishment in prices since the company made a stupid move.

:eusa_eh:

who said i can't?

it is very clear that the gvt stimulus money in this case, was taken advantage of by the retailer.... and a gvt waste!
So, it's the retailer's fault that the demand, and subsequently the price, went up?

I have a news flash for you: Dealer prices don't go up in absence of manufacturer and distributor price hikes....Your anger is terribly misdirected.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They are employers, and they don't want to lay off any more than they have to. And what makes you think the stoves would be less expensive, rather than MORE expensive, if fewer are made?

That goes against every economic principle known to man.

The companies made these stoves knowing the fact. It's their fault if they made too many, not the consumer. Yet you want the consumer to take punishment in prices since the company made a stupid move.

:eusa_eh:
The consumer has a choice as to whether or not to buy the product.

And if the manufacturers made too many of them, the prices would tend to be lower.

Jeez...Does every day around here have to be like the first week of an Econ 101 class?

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They are employers, and they don't want to lay off any more than they have to. And what makes you think the stoves would be less expensive, rather than MORE expensive, if fewer are made?

That goes against every economic principle known to man.

Except you're saying they have to recoup their losses due to them being banned in several areas. Is that the consumer's fault? Does that mean they should have a 30% increase in order to abuse the Government trying to help people?

Remember, Tax Credits are what you Republicans always rave about. So I'm not one who thinks they are a solution to problems because of situations like this.

Also, why am I willing to bet that these wooden stoves weren't made in the U.S.

The consumer has a choice as to whether or not to buy the product.

And if the manufacturers made too many of them, the prices would tend to be lower.

Jeez...Does every day around here have to be like the first week of an Econ 101 class?

Except in the case that Allie was referring to. Them trying to "recoup their losses" by making too many.

Sorry Care, but Lowes has EPA approved wood stoves on their website that heat 1800 square feet for as low as $729.

Summers Heat at Lowe's: 1,800 Sq. Ft. Wood Burning Stove

There are two models on display at our local store under $650.

EDIT - And yes they were both EPA approved.
The entire premise of the OP is destroyed.

Not really...Do you know how much that one cost last year? She was clearly comparing specifics from her experience last year.

So, this morning I decide to look on line at Home Depot and Lowes for a wood stove. We were going to buy one last year and never got a chance. Both Home depot and Lowes had the same stove to heat a 1500 square foot home for around $599 last year, the same parent company made them for both companies, under each company's private label or exclusive label...but my research found that it was the same company making both and the features and benefits of the stoves at both stores were identical...but at times one store over the other offered free shipping....

Forum List

Back