Capitalistic RIP OFF! Warning!

So, this morning I decide to look on line at Home Depot and Lowes for a wood stove. We were going to buy one last year and never got a chance. Both Home depot and Lowes had the same stove to heat a 1500 square foot home for around $599 last year, the same parent company made them for both companies, under each company's private label or exclusive label...but my research found that it was the same company making both and the features and benefits of the toves at both stores were identical...but at times one store over the other offered free shipping....

I go to home depot and the cheapest stove is around $1200 bucks this year!!!!!!!!

Go to lowes and about the same, 2 for $1000 bucks but many for $2000! And NOTHING LAST YEAR WAS $2000, $1400 was the mnost expensive stove and it was for a pellet stove which are more expensive...

Both stores were the same, they raised their prices by 30% to 50% from last year and I am so pissed we did not buy it last year before they decided to GOUGE US...

At first, coming from the retail industry, I thought what in the world could have caused these astronomical price increases on EPA approved wood stoves? Could it be the metal that had spiked in cost, or the labor in the foreign country making them spiked?

Then I thought, those son of bitches expect heating oil prices to hit highs and people being willing to pay more for a wood stove...hmmm, I said to myself, I am really hitting on something and lowes and home depot decided to PRICE FIX together on it...which is ILLEGAL btw....

THEN the real LIGHT BULB WENT OFF...the son of a bitches at home depot and lowes raised their prices on EPA APPROVED wood stoves 30% or more on last year's prices......

DRUM ROLLLLLLL.....................

Because we have a 30% TAX CREDIT available from our government's stimulus package to encourage the purchase or investment in any heating system that is good for the environment, and the newer wood stoves emit nothing now, so they qualified for this credit...

AND THE SOB BUYERS at Lowes and home depot decided to GOUGE US and raise their prices so that the TAX CREDIT is worth nothing to us consumers and they get to pocket the money for selling $1200 wood stoves to us while the government's tax credit that was suppose to actually be for us is essentially given to the BIG CORPORATION that raised their prices for the event, and not us....

This is NOT the government's fault...this is pure GREED of the corporation and price fixing by them both, imo, so that they both have the same prices...instead on one of them not raising their prices, we have them in cahoots on pricing.

Damn it....this really pisses me off...

Care

You really don't get it do you? If we had true capitalism there would be more than two stores in the competition, and really you don't have two stores since Lowes and Home Depot are part of the same corporation.

So, this morning I decide to look on line at Home Depot and Lowes for a wood stove. We were going to buy one last year and never got a chance. Both Home depot and Lowes had the same stove to heat a 1500 square foot home for around $599 last year, the same parent company made them for both companies, under each company's private label or exclusive label...but my research found that it was the same company making both and the features and benefits of the toves at both stores were identical...but at times one store over the other offered free shipping....

I go to home depot and the cheapest stove is around $1200 bucks this year!!!!!!!!

Go to lowes and about the same, 2 for $1000 bucks but many for $2000! And NOTHING LAST YEAR WAS $2000, $1400 was the mnost expensive stove and it was for a pellet stove which are more expensive...

Both stores were the same, they raised their prices by 30% to 50% from last year and I am so pissed we did not buy it last year before they decided to GOUGE US...

At first, coming from the retail industry, I thought what in the world could have caused these astronomical price increases on EPA approved wood stoves? Could it be the metal that had spiked in cost, or the labor in the foreign country making them spiked?

Then I thought, those son of bitches expect heating oil prices to hit highs and people being willing to pay more for a wood stove...hmmm, I said to myself, I am really hitting on something and lowes and home depot decided to PRICE FIX together on it...which is ILLEGAL btw....

THEN the real LIGHT BULB WENT OFF...the son of a bitches at home depot and lowes raised their prices on EPA APPROVED wood stoves 30% or more on last year's prices......

Because we have a 30% TAX CREDIT available from our government's stimulus package to encourage the purchase or investment in any heating system that is good for the environment, and the newer wood stoves emit nothing now, so they qualified for this credit...

AND THE SOB BUYERS at Lowes and home depot decided to GOUGE US and raise their prices so that the TAX CREDIT is worth nothing to us consumers and they get to pocket the money for selling $1200 wood stoves to us while the government's tax credit that was suppose to actually be for us is essentially given to the BIG CORPORATION that raised their prices for the event, and not us....

This is NOT the government's fault...this is pure GREED of the corporation and price fixing by them both, imo, so that they both have the same prices...instead on one of them not raising their prices, we have them in cahoots on pricing.

Care

and now they will force you to buy one or throw you in jail!!!

Or should they be required by law to the lowest bidder. My guess is the damn things were sellng like hot cakes. Which always drives prices up. Or perhaps the cost of getting the government to approve the product increased. You assumed an awful lot care and provided not a shred of proof for your assumptions.

hmmm, no one ever thought that the increased cost of manufacture, the increased cost of transportation, and the increased cost of labor at the stores had NOTHING to do with the increased price of a product?

The demand for them rose.. why wouldn't the price rise? Simple economics here...

hmmm, no one ever thought that the increased cost of manufacture, the increased cost of transportation, and the increased cost of labor at the stores had NOTHING to do with the increased price of a product?

Don't confuse them with little facts like that.

Sorry Care, but Lowes has EPA approved wood stoves on their website that heat 1800 square feet for as low as $729.

Summers Heat at Lowe's: 1,800 Sq. Ft. Wood Burning Stove

There are two models on display at our local store under $650.

No they don't...put in a zip near me...try 04669 or 04605 where they make you put in a store location near you...

I did, it said:

In Store
Buy online and pickup at your local Lowe's store: LOWE'S OF ELLSWORTH, ME​

There goes the OP. At least Care was able to vent, however misdirected. Maybe the government can put price controls in place. Yeah, that should work.

All I see it is another item with the "NEW" sticker on, people always pay more for it and are easily conned into thinking it's better.

No they don't...put in a zip near me...try 04669 or 04605 where they make you put in a store location near you...

I did, it said:

In Store
Buy online and pickup at your local Lowe's store: LOWE'S OF ELLSWORTH, ME​

There goes the OP. At least Care was able to vent, however misdirected. Maybe the government can put price controls in place. Yeah, that should work.
but you notice the conspiracy she weaved without even contemplating other possibilities?

This was one of my concerns about "Cash for Clunkers". Who pays sticker price for a car? When inventory is high, dealers are always cutting prices. I wonder how many of those suckers who jumped at $3500 in "free money" could have gotten a better deal if the govt. hadn't stepped in? Just sayin...

It's a numbers game. But people will always jump at the opportunity when they think they are getting "free money".

Simple solution here............DON'T BUY THE DAMN WOOD STOVE if you don't like the price. Better yet, order you one of those heaters made by the Amish. The Lowes and Home Depot you go to must be the only ones in the country doing what you claim so maybe you should move to another area where they aren't so evil and out to gouge you everyday.

Do you believe that you should be able to make as much money as you can, or is it only wrong when the big evil corporations make money?

When big corporations have the power to do what they want whenever they want and fuck the consumer, and they have more rights than people, yes it is wrong.

Quit worshitting at the altar of capitalism. It's an economic system like any other economic system, not a frigging religion. It's a good system, but it's not perfect, particularily when the regulations have been so weakened. Greed is still not a virtue according to the Bible which I thought was so important to the right.:eusa_whistle:

Conservatives: The party proctologists love.

Last edited:

Care

You really don't get it do you? If we had true capitalism there would be more than two stores in the competition, and really you don't have two stores since Lowes and Home Depot are part of the same corporation.

Ahhhh....no.

Do you believe that you should be able to make as much money as you can, or is it only wrong when the big evil corporations make money?

When big corporations have the power to do what they want whenever they want and fuck the consumer, and they have more rights than people, yes it is wrong.

Quit worshitting at the altar of capitalism. It's an economic system like any other economic system, not a frigging religion. It's a good system, but it's not perfect, particularily when the regulations have been so weakened. Greed is still not a virtue according to the Bible which I thought was so important to the right.:eusa_whistle:

Conservatives: The party proctologists love.

Then perhaps you should work to get rid of the regulations that allow them so much power. ;)

I would be pissed as well. Maybe if people are as angry as you are decide not to buy then the store would have to reduce the price if they wish to sell them. I think the consumer has the upper hand in this.
I am amazed at the prices for sporting events in this country right now especially in this economy. Let's look at the NY Yankees for instance. Come the playoffs the stadium will be sold out for every game and just check out the prices for the really good seats. Two seats behind home plate for one game in the playoffs would buy a few of your stoves.The bottom line is if people pay any price then the sellers will keep the prices up.

Care

I think this rant is very reasonable assuming that the details are correct (I don't kow, of course, but I assume you're right).

If you live close enough to me, Care, I've got a great woodstove, suitable for heating a small home (and it's pretty, too!) that I'll sell you for about half it's original retail value if that helps.

This was one of my concerns about "Cash for Clunkers". Who pays sticker price for a car? When inventory is high, dealers are always cutting prices. I wonder how many of those suckers who jumped at $3500 in "free money" could have gotten a better deal if the govt. hadn't stepped in? Just sayin...

It's a numbers game. But people will always jump at the opportunity when they think they are getting "free money".

Some one sent me an email on this. The email went on to say that people traded in a good car whose value let's say was $3,500 to get a car whose sticker price was raised $3,500
just before the deal. Now it's my understanding that the people who went for this amazing deal is now on the hook for the cash for clunkers come tax time. And I also wonder how many went for foreign cars over American. Also how many used car dealers took it on the chin as they had no customers for as long as this deal was on.:(

Forum List

Back