Capital Punishment - Right or Wrong?

The Illusion

Energist
Jul 22, 2009
Hades
Capital Punishment is Wrong. It is wrong in many ways. It is wrong because it lets the person off without having to suffer consequences of their actions. It is wrong because of the cost. It is wrong for moral reasons. It is wrong to kill anyone according to some religious doctrines. It is wrong to put someone through the torment of knowing they are going to die. It is just simply wrong.

If people had to sit out life sentences behind bars, they would be punished properly because every day that went by they would have to think about why they were in that situation and they would have to deal with their own guilt - if they have any.

If people are worried about the cost of incarceration for that long, they need to think about what these people behind bars have to do to pay back society.. like working for cents on a dollar to produce mass quantities of items that the general public uses. I will not accept the argument that it costs more to have a person in prison for life because that person is working their a** off for basically free to produce some products that you and I use on a daily basis. Its called the prison industry.

Jamie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capital Punishment is Wrong. It is wrong in many ways. It is wrong because it lets the person off without having to suffer consequences of their actions. It is wrong because of the cost. It is wrong for moral reasons. It is wrong to kill anyone according to some religious doctrines. It is wrong to put someone through the torment of knowing they are going to die. It is just simply wrong.

If people had to sit out life sentences behind bars, they would be punished properly because every day that went by they would have to think about why they were in that situation and they would have to deal with their own guilt - if they have any.

If people are worried about the cost of incarceration for that long, they need to think about what these people behind bars have to do to pay back society.. like working for cents on a dollar to produce mass quantities of items that the general public uses. I will not accept the argument that it costs more to have a person in prison for life because that person is working their a** off for basically free to produce some products that you and I use on a daily basis. Its called the prison industry.

Jamie

I completely disagree. I think we should go back to public hangings. I also think the punishment should be much quicker than what it is on death row these days. The world has become a very dangerous place. Maybe some public hangings would help put an end to this. A life of hanging out in prison is too costly. Let's free up some of that prison space. Hang them. Fry them. Gas them. Shoot them. I'd even go for chopping off their heads. This injection crap is too easy. We need to make an example out of these criminal assholes. I wonder if you would have the same liberal opinion if a close member of your family was murdered?

Lethal injection is actually more expensive than life in jail. Too many lawyers; too many appeals. A bullet would be much cheaper.

I believe in the death penalty as it is an important bargaining chip in the plea bargain business. We hardly kill anyone anymore anyway.

Lethal injection is actually more expensive than life in jail. Too many lawyers; too many appeals. A bullet would be much cheaper.

I believe in the death penalty as it is an important bargaining chip in the plea bargain business. We hardly kill anyone anymore anyway.

I think one of the biggest problems in the legal system today is this plea bargain business. I think it should be done away with. Either fully convict the criminals or let them walk if you don't have the evidence to do so. Once convicted, I think criminals should serve the complete sentence in jail. No time off for being a model convict. No partial sentences. If you get 20 years, well, we'll see you in 20 years. We are way too easy on these thugs.

Murder victims know this all too well.

Jamie

WTF? You mean like having 3 squares a day, exercise rooms, tvs, computer access, libraries, etc.? Spare me.

I'm with BBD and chanel on this one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jamie

I completely disagree. I think we should go back to public hangings. I also think the punishment should be much quicker than what it is on death row these days. The world has become a very dangerous place. Maybe some public hangings would help put an end to this. A life of hanging out in prison is too costly. Let's free up some of that prison space. Hang them. Fry them. Gas them. Shoot them. I'd even go for chopping off their heads. This injection crap is too easy. We need to make an example out of these criminal assholes. I wonder if you would have the same liberal opinion if a close member of your family was murdered?
You are 100% correct BBD

I wonder if you would have the same liberal opinion if a close member of your family was murdered?

I have and thats why Ive come to this conclusion. He got off easy.. he died. He should have suffered a life in prison locked up without any fancy things in life.. having to work his a** off in prison for nothing for the rest of his life. I would have rather seen him suffer for the rest of his life having to be shamed for being in prison.

Jamie

I think one of the biggest problems in the legal system today is this plea bargain business. I think it should be done away with. Either fully convict the criminals or let them walk if you don't have the evidence to do so. Once convicted, I think criminals should serve the complete sentence in jail. No time off for being a model convict. No partial sentences. If you get 20 years, well, we'll see you in 20 years. We are way too easy on these thugs.

Im going to make another thread about the plea bargain scam. It should be done away with.. because it focuses on letting the state and government get what they want by charging someone with something extra so they have to plead guilty to something they probably didnt do...and even if they did do it, the plea bargain scam was just another way to convict them in the first place instead of letting justice do it like it is supposed to be done.

Plea Bargaining topic here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-and-justice-system/83734-the-plea-bargain-scam.html#post1386363

Jamie

Last edited:
I have and thats why Ive come to this conclusion. He got off easy.. he died. He should have suffered a life in prison locked up without any fancy things in life.. having to work his a** off in prison for nothing for the rest of his life. I would have rather seen him suffer for the rest of his life having to be shamed for being in prison.

Very sorry for your loss but I still don't agree with you. My father served in the Navy for 26 years and then became a prison guard for his home State of North Carolina. The inmates had a life of leasure that was only inconvienced by the fact that they were locked up. Prison is too easy in this country. I think it should be much more harsh and a place that nobody in their right mind would want to go. These thugs don't mind about going to prison anymore. It doesn't hinder anybody from committing a crime. It should. Before some thug goes into a 7-11 to rob and shoot the guy behind the counter he should know full well in the back of his mind that if he's caught the rest of his life is going to be pure hell on earth. Maybe then he might have second thoughts.

Jamie

Ah, THIS question will expose the right wing pea brains in this country for what they are: statists...In a pea brain's eyes government can do no wrong when it comes to arresting, incarcerating or killing human beings... but DON'T try HELP people...THAT is EVIL...

iheader.jpg

Only a right wing pea brain statist will argue that those statistics don't make it HIGHLY conceivable and very likely that we HAVE executed innocent human beings...BTW, THAT is called MURDER

Jamie

Your name coupled with your post proves that you live in an illusion.
How about if criminals were forced to earn their own way. Make prisons (and prisoners) self sufficient. They can produce their own food and housing.
If a dog bites or mauls a person we put them down. Murderers, child molesters and rapists are no different than a vicious dog. They have no conscience and should be eliminated from society--quickly and permanently.

Very sorry for your loss but I still don't agree with you. My father served in the Navy for 26 years and then became a prison guard for his home State of North Carolina. The inmates had a life of leasure that was only inconvienced by the fact that they were locked up. Prison is too easy in this country. I think it should be much more harsh and a place that nobody in their right mind would want to go. These thugs don't mind about going to prison anymore. It doesn't hinder anybody from committing a crime. It should. Before some thug goes into a 7-11 to rob and shoot the guy behind the counter he should know full well in the back of his mind that if he's caught the rest of his life is going to be pure hell on earth. Maybe then he might have second thoughts.

I guess Im not well versed on the prison life.. but to me.. just being somewhere where I dont have freedoms to do what I want is punishment. They cannot see their families whenever they want...they have to eat the food that is given to them...they cant cook their own meals..they cant have internet access..they cant drive cars..they cant own jewlrey..they can't go out with their friends for a night on the town....

To me, that is punishment..enough not to be able to see your kids if you have any whenever you want.. not being able to be a parent....etc.

Jamie

Ah, THIS question will expose the right wing pea brains in this country for what they are: statists...In a pea brain's eyes government can do no wrong when it comes to arresting, incarcerating or killing human beings... but DON'T try HELP people...THAT is EVIL...

Only a right wing pea brain statist will argue that those statistics don't make it HIGHLY conceivable and very likely that we HAVE executed innocent human beings...BTW, THAT is called MURDER

I agree with you whole heartedly.

Jamie

Jamie

Yeah, and at least one of them went on to commit another horrendous crime.
Former death row inmate terrorizes family | terrorizes, death, family - Top News - Burlington Times News

Wow, it only took 3 minutes on a google search to find that.

Former death row inmate terrorizes family | terrorizes, death, family - Top News - Burlington Times News

Woah.. you dont say... 1 of them went on to commit a haneous crime. What about all the rest of them? The ones that WERE innocent? They would have been put to death.. in irreversible act. Imagine that innocent person being your child, sister, brother, mother, or father. Just how would you feel?

Jamie

Jamie

REALLY...Where does it say in your "3 minute google" that the man was released from death row with evidence of his innocence?

REALLY...Where does it say in your "3 minute google" that the man was released from death row with evidence of his innocence?

Perhaps you think he was released from death row because of evidence of his guilt. :cuckoo:

I disagree with the death penalty for a few reasons:

1) There is the possibility in many cases that the person is innocent. You can release someone from prison, but you can't undeath them. If the government has the power to legally, if accidentally, take away someone's life then that is not a power the government needs.

2) The cost. The cost of executing someone is much higher than throwing them in prison for life with no possibility of parole. The lawyers, the appeals, the stays, the boilerplate lawsuits etc. all come out of the taxpayers pocket.

3) It is not a deterrent. Anyone who argues that it is is not living in reality.

Now, I do believe that we need to hand down the punishment of life in prison with no parole a heck of a lot more often than we do. A LOT more. Put it this way, in my book anyone convicted of murder wouldn't be getting out of prison. Ever. And prisons need to be much less pleasant a place than they are. No TV's, no gyms, no socializing with other prisoners, no libraries. I want them miserable and caged.

Perhaps you think he was released from death row because of evidence of his guilt. :cuckoo:

Why don't you read the article?

I disagree with the death penalty for a few reasons:

1) There is the possibility in many cases that the person is innocent. You can release someone from prison, but you can't undeath them. If the government has the power to legally, if accidentally, take away someone's life then that is not a power the government needs.

2) The cost. The cost of executing someone is much higher than throwing them in prison for life with no possibility of parole. The lawyers, the appeals, the stays, the boilerplate lawsuits etc. all come out of the taxpayers pocket.

3) It is not a deterrent. Anyone who argues that it is is not living in reality.

Now, I do believe that we need to hand down the punishment of life in prison with no parole a heck of a lot more often than we do. A LOT more. Put it this way, in my book anyone convicted of murder wouldn't be getting out of prison. Ever. And prisons need to be much less pleasant a place than they are. No TV's, no gyms, no socializing with other prisoners, no libraries. I want them miserable and caged.

This is how prisons should be. From the sounds of it, they are living in 5 star hotels.

I agree with you.

Jamie

Forum List

Back