Capital Punishment - Right or Wrong?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by The Illusion, Aug 1, 2009.

1. The Illusion

The Illusion Energist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Capital Punishment is Wrong. It is wrong in many ways. It is wrong because it lets the person off without having to suffer consequences of their actions. It is wrong because of the cost. It is wrong for moral reasons. It is wrong to kill anyone according to some religious doctrines. It is wrong to put someone through the torment of knowing they are going to die. It is just simply wrong.

If people had to sit out life sentences behind bars, they would be punished properly because every day that went by they would have to think about why they were in that situation and they would have to deal with their own guilt - if they have any.

If people are worried about the cost of incarceration for that long, they need to think about what these people behind bars have to do to pay back society.. like working for cents on a dollar to produce mass quantities of items that the general public uses. I will not accept the argument that it costs more to have a person in prison for life because that person is working their a** off for basically free to produce some products that you and I use on a daily basis. Its called the prison industry.

Jamie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,716
    I completely disagree. I think we should go back to public hangings. I also think the punishment should be much quicker than what it is on death row these days. The world has become a very dangerous place. Maybe some public hangings would help put an end to this. A life of hanging out in prison is too costly. Let's free up some of that prison space. Hang them. Fry them. Gas them. Shoot them. I'd even go for chopping off their heads. This injection crap is too easy. We need to make an example out of these criminal assholes. I wonder if you would have the same liberal opinion if a close member of your family was murdered?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Lethal injection is actually more expensive than life in jail. Too many lawyers; too many appeals. A bullet would be much cheaper.

I believe in the death penalty as it is an important bargaining chip in the plea bargain business. We hardly kill anyone anymore anyway.

4. Big Black Dog

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,716
    I think one of the biggest problems in the legal system today is this plea bargain business. I think it should be done away with. Either fully convict the criminals or let them walk if you don't have the evidence to do so. Once convicted, I think criminals should serve the complete sentence in jail. No time off for being a model convict. No partial sentences. If you get 20 years, well, we'll see you in 20 years. We are way too easy on these thugs.

5. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    Murder victims know this all too well.

WTF? You mean like having 3 squares a day, exercise rooms, tvs, computer access, libraries, etc.? Spare me.

I'm with BBD and chanel on this one.

6. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    You are 100% correct BBD

7. The Illusion

The Illusion Energist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have and thats why Ive come to this conclusion. He got off easy.. he died. He should have suffered a life in prison locked up without any fancy things in life.. having to work his a** off in prison for nothing for the rest of his life. I would have rather seen him suffer for the rest of his life having to be shamed for being in prison.

Jamie

8. The Illusion

The Illusion Energist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Im going to make another thread about the plea bargain scam. It should be done away with.. because it focuses on letting the state and government get what they want by charging someone with something extra so they have to plead guilty to something they probably didnt do...and even if they did do it, the plea bargain scam was just another way to convict them in the first place instead of letting justice do it like it is supposed to be done.

Plea Bargaining topic here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-and-justice-system/83734-the-plea-bargain-scam.html#post1386363

Jamie

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  9. Big Black Dog

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,716
    Very sorry for your loss but I still don't agree with you. My father served in the Navy for 26 years and then became a prison guard for his home State of North Carolina. The inmates had a life of leasure that was only inconvienced by the fact that they were locked up. Prison is too easy in this country. I think it should be much more harsh and a place that nobody in their right mind would want to go. These thugs don't mind about going to prison anymore. It doesn't hinder anybody from committing a crime. It should. Before some thug goes into a 7-11 to rob and shoot the guy behind the counter he should know full well in the back of his mind that if he's caught the rest of his life is going to be pure hell on earth. Maybe then he might have second thoughts.

10. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Ah, THIS question will expose the right wing pea brains in this country for what they are: statists...In a pea brain's eyes government can do no wrong when it comes to arresting, incarcerating or killing human beings... but DON'T try HELP people...THAT is EVIL...

[​IMG]

Only a right wing pea brain statist will argue that those statistics don't make it HIGHLY conceivable and very likely that we HAVE executed innocent human beings...BTW, THAT is called MURDER