Can't make any money off 4th amendment rights.

smokin_kat

Cheap Imitation
May 20, 2011
Earth
With the gold mine that is the asset forfeiture laws behind the RICO and drugs laws. Can we really expect government to protect our 4th amendment rights?

No.

Of course it’s not the government’s role to protect our rights – that responsibility belongs to each American and the courts are the venue in which we challenge a given violation.

What does one have to do with the other?

Outside of a few exceptions, your 4th Amendment rights are intact.

God damn I'm so glad weed is still illegal hahaha!!! I dont' give a shit about it, I've never smoked it and never will. And I actually believe weed is less harmful than beer and liquor. BUT....in my lifetime, I've found the "LEGALIZE IT" crowd to be mostly brain dead, liberal types who are so unproductive in life and basically just annoying. Hypocritical based on my ideology? Yep, a bit. But do I enjoy watching the potheads whine about the same lost cause over and over? HAHAHA!! Yes, I certainly do!

God damn I'm so glad weed is still illegal hahaha!!! I dont' give a shit about it, I've never smoked it and never will. And I actually believe weed is less harmful than beer and liquor. BUT....in my lifetime, I've found the "LEGALIZE IT" crowd to be mostly brain dead, liberal types who are so unproductive in life and basically just annoying. Hypocritical based on my ideology? Yep, a bit. But do I enjoy watching the potheads whine about the same lost cause over and over? HAHAHA!! Yes, I certainly do!

Well, that wasn't very nice. :(

No.

Of course it’s not the government’s role to protect our rights – that responsibility belongs to each American and the courts are the venue in which we challenge a given violation.

Every time you post you make rdean look intelligent. He should follow you around and quote you to prove he is not the dumbest person on USMB anymore.

With the gold mine that is the asset forfeiture laws behind the RICO and drugs laws. Can we really expect government to protect our 4th amendment rights?

Which is why we need to put due process back into asset forfeiture laws.

I agree with you on two counts here.

1. civil forfeiture needs to be done away, I understand that the goal was to lighten the load on the criminal court system, but no one should lose property without due process.

2. That Jones guy is an idiot.

How is the decriminalization of marijuana a lost cause? The drug was first federally prohibited in the 1930's. Since that time many states have legalized it for medicinal use or have relaxed possession laws. However, it is still illegal on a federal level and the DEA can override a states decision at anytime, bust into a dispensary, take everything for evidence and put your grandmother on a watch list. Yet, it is closer now than ever to being de-criminalized since before it's prohibition. Very soon this and gay marriage will become a reality. Whether you like it or not. These things aren't threatening you. In fact these two things alone could save and generate massive income for this country.

As, far as our rights... It's absolutely appalling the police can break into my home unwarranted in the name of justice, but if I do the same to theirs I will be charged with B&E, go straight to jail, do not collect $200. It's not even about being a pot head or doing other illegal things in my home. It's MY home. What I do in there is nobody's business. Bring me a warrant or I'll show you my gun.

How is the decriminalization of marijuana a lost cause? The drug was first federally prohibited in the 1930's. Since that time many states have legalized it for medicinal use or have relaxed possession laws. However, it is still illegal on a federal level and the DEA can override a states decision at anytime, bust into a dispensary, take everything for evidence and put your grandmother on a watch list. Yet, it is closer now than ever to being de-criminalized since before it's prohibition. Very soon this and gay marriage will become a reality. Whether you like it or not. These things aren't threatening you. In fact these two things alone could save and generate massive income for this country.

As, far as our rights... It's absolutely appalling the police can break into my home unwarranted in the name of justice, but if I do the same to theirs I will be charged with B&E, go straight to jail, do not collect $200. It's not even about being a pot head or doing other illegal things in my home. It's MY home. What I do in there is nobody's business. Bring me a warrant or I'll show you my gun.

I do not believe that police can break into anyone's house without a warrant.

Disgusting that you want the "right" to beat up your wife and children as long as it's done in the privacy of your own home.

Yes, they are doing this. Here is a new article link and a link to another thread started on this very subject.

Nation & World | Supreme Court OKs warrantless searches | Seattle Times Newspaper

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-a...toilet-negates-your-4th-amendment-rights.html

You mean like these guys?
LEAP | Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Disgusting that you want the "right" to beat up your wife and children as long as it's done in the privacy of your own home.

First, I wouldn't be beating my wife, as I am a heterosexual woman. Second, of course if there are sounds or other evidence of a struggle or abuse going on I would not want the police to hesitate breaking in my door. As a victim of abuse myself I know the desperate, silent prayers that someone would break in to rescue me. You are missing the point here. The government cannot just send in it's minions without probable cause. Say I'm watching a gore fest of a movie, the police can then break in b/c they hear screams and a chainsaw? Must be chopping up the family. Geez.

Last edited:

Which is why we need to put due process back into asset forfeiture laws.

Exactly. Why do you think so? Just intrigued by your answer.

Due process is supposed to protect us from the government, and suspending in the war on drugs has proven that the government cannot be trusted. I have seen cases where people managed to prove in court that the forfeited assets were totally legitimate, have the courts order them returned, and still have no recourse when the government refuses to comply. If we put due process back into it and remove the incentives for government to take money from innocent people everyine will be better off.

What country do you live in?

The government cannot just send in it's minions without probable cause. Say I'm watching a gore fest of a movie, the police can then break in b/c they hear screams and a chainsaw? Must be chopping up the family. Geez.

Unfortunately the legal fiction of ‘exigent circumstances’ allows them to do just that. And you’re correct: what they might incorrectly infer to be an ‘emergency’ may indeed not be one at all.

No.

The purpose of the Bill of Rights is to protect us from......the government. We have the Supremes to allegedly make a judgement about the constitutionality of various statutes but strangely enough liberals are against strict Constitutional review. They would rather see a more flexible constitution where the Bill of Rights becomes meaningless.

Forum List

Back