Canadian soccer coach says "F$#% Croatia" before they play on Sunday.

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
He coached the Canadian women to Gold, now lead the men to the W.C for the first time in nearly forty years.

I don't know if this is smugness, arrogance or just trying to amp up his team (or a bit of both), but it is certainly is the mindset of Canadians in general in relation to other nations, even when speaking about America. Canadians in general often speak this way about other nations (or those in a lower caste in Canadian society) and they don't need a soccer match to do so. I'm sure this is going to motivate Croatia immensely.

Imagine for a moment if an American coach had said this? I recall Raptors president Masai Ujiri said loudly and publicly "F___ Brooklyn", before the Raptors played them in a series and subsequently lost (oops).

'Eff Croatia': Herdman's words could turn motivation for Canada's next opponent​

An emotional John Herdman has apparently given Croatia some bulletin-board material ahead of its World Cup showdown with Canada on Sunday.

Immediately after Wednesday's 1-0 loss to second-ranked Belgium — a game that saw No. 41 Canada dominate play but fail to score — Herdman shared what he told his players in the post-game huddle on the field.

"I told them they belong here and we're going to go and eff— Croatia," he said with a smile in FIFA's official post-game pitchside interview. "That's as simple as it gets."

A loss to No. 12 Croatia and Canada's hope of advancing to the knockout round out of Group F evaporates.

Asked about Herdman's comments, Croatian coach Zlatko Dalic said everybody has their own communication style.

"I'm not sure how nice it is to say something like that but it's his right," he added through an interpreter. "I think we need to show on the pitch that we're better."

He coached the Canadian women to Gold, now lead the men to the W.C for the first time in nearly forty years.

I don't know if this is smugness, arrogance or just trying to amp up his team (or a bit of both), but it is certainly is the mindset of Canadians in general in relation to other nations, even when speaking about America. Canadians in general often speak this way about other nations (or those in a lower caste in Canadian society) and they don't need a soccer match to do so. I'm sure this is going to motivate Croatia immensely.

Imagine for a moment if an American coach had said this? I recall Raptors president Masai Ujiri said loudly and publicly "F___ Brooklyn", before the Raptors played them in a series and subsequently lost (oops).

'Eff Croatia': Herdman's words could turn motivation for Canada's next opponent​

An emotional John Herdman has apparently given Croatia some bulletin-board material ahead of its World Cup showdown with Canada on Sunday.

Immediately after Wednesday's 1-0 loss to second-ranked Belgium — a game that saw No. 41 Canada dominate play but fail to score — Herdman shared what he told his players in the post-game huddle on the field.

"I told them they belong here and we're going to go and eff— Croatia," he said with a smile in FIFA's official post-game pitchside interview. "That's as simple as it gets."

A loss to No. 12 Croatia and Canada's hope of advancing to the knockout round out of Group F evaporates.

Asked about Herdman's comments, Croatian coach Zlatko Dalic said everybody has their own communication style.

"I'm not sure how nice it is to say something like that but it's his right," he added through an interpreter. "I think we need to show on the pitch that we're better."

Uh oh, Croatian media is not happy, check out the front page and quote:

A translation of the headline read: "You have the mouth (words). But do you have the balls as well?"

Rival Watch: Croatian tabloid mocks Canada's John Herdman after his comments​

canadasoccer.jpeg

Canada beaten like a rented mule, 4-1. Trying to beat #12 team in the world and then the coach makes them the villians beforehand while motivating the opponent.

Croatia's Kramaric thanks Herdman for motivating team with 'eff' comment​

In the end, it was the Croatians who got the last word.

After thrashing Canada 4-1 in their World Cup match on Sunday, Croatian player Andrej Kramaric had some pointed words for his opponents and, more specifically, head coach John Herdman.

"I want to thank the (Canada) coach for the motivation. In the end, Croatia demonstrated who eff'd whom," Kramaric said, through an interpreter.

Forum List

Back