Hatred hurled at Raptors stars shows ugly influence sports betting can have on fandom

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
A broke and immoral province desperately pushes their young to gamble to pay for the massive overfunded agencies. The players then have to deal with the backlash from young, angry, broke, desperate gamblers when they lose.

My wife was addicted to slots and we all suffered when she lost The ads are all over the place and they have little incentive to help the addict.

You attach yourself to our agencies at your own risk. You will experience the decline in global trust I assure you.

Ontario is celebrating a profitable first year for its legalized sports betting market — but to hear two members of the Toronto Raptors talk about it, gambling's expansion comes with an ugly side.

Speaking on Yahoo Sports Canada's Hustle Play podcast in March, forward Chris Boucher said social media can impact professional athletes, and used a deplorable message he was sent as an example.

"Somebody said 'I chose the wrong slave today.' Literally, sent me that message," Boucher said. "I had to read it, I couldn't believe it. He said, 'I chose the wrong slave,' because I had only five points and he needed me to score 10."

Fellow Raptor Fred VanVleet also touched on the issue of fan abuse while speaking with Yahoo's Strictly Hoops podcast.

"You can't fathom dealing with this on a daily basis," he said "You can't fathom a 'I hope your mom dies' DM every day."

Former Olympian and sport and public policy expert Bruce Kidd was aghast when shown a clip of Boucher's interview by CBC News.

"It's very upsetting that athletes are under this pressure and they're getting these attacks from not meeting the point spread or the parlay that a bettor has placed," said Kidd, professor emeritus at the University of Toronto.

"I'm at a loss for words about how upsetting that is. It so demeans the value of sport — that sport is only for people to be making money out of bets."

Over a billion dollars in revenue​

But lots of money is being spent on bets in Ontario today.

Last April, Ontario became the first Canadian province to launch an open, regulated igaming market, called iGaming Ontario (iGo).

Since then, iGo said there've been over 1.6 million active player accounts on websites run by more than 40 operators that have agreements with iGaming Ontario.

iGo announced on April 4 — the fledgling market's first anniversary — that the province delivered "about $35.6 billion in total wagers and approximately $1.4 billion in total gaming revenue." iGo added that places Ontario among North America's top-five igaming jurisdictions, although exactly where and with what other centres weren't divulged.

I have gambled in my life and let's face it, the expansion of it is due for the need of tax dollars. It keeps expanding as it is definitely main streamed for all people. betting on humans for money can be precarious.

Forum List

Back