Canada Challenges U.S. to Block Cheap Drug Flow

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I agree with them in the respect that the USA has to take the ultimate power to stop these drugs from making it into our country, and hopefully they will in time. But it seems from this article that Canada is thumbing their noses at assisting from their end. It's going to come and bite them in the ass the first time someone dies from these drugs.

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The Canadian government has challenged the United States to block the flow of cheap prescription drugs from Canada if it thinks it is a problem, a senior health official said on Thursday.

The challenge was made in discussions with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as controversy swirls over the idea of U.S. seniors, cities and states filling their prescription needs in Canada.

"We have reminded the United States that they have responsibilities and they have authorities within their own country to stop the importatation of products within their own country, and have reminded them of their responsibilities in that regard," the official told a media conference call.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031030/hl_nm/health_canada_usa_dc

Yeah, it might be a shame if someone did die - but I was reading how all these elderly get in buses and head over to Canada as well to get the drugs they need, as well as, getting them delivered here - only because of the cost of perscriptions here, or not having health insurance.

Indeed, the issue at hand here is that pharmaceutical companies sell the SAME medicines at substantial savings in countries other than the USA. Precisely why that is I'm not sure, tho besides pure profit taking from americans, the only other concept I can concieve is that they use the extra profits from us to offset the high price of research because we 'can afford it'. but obviously the seniors and others feel they cannot affort to pay 2 or 3 times as much as the canadians so they go shopping up there.... now as to how I feel about profiting from the pain of others... that's another story.

Originally posted by Aquarian
Indeed, the issue at hand here is that pharmaceutical companies sell the SAME medicines at substantial savings in countries other than the USA.

If I knew for sure that was entirely true I would side with those just trying to save a buck or two. This articles states that what is sold is not always safe.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/news/2003/10/01/Consumers/fda_drugs031001

And of course more "pharmacies" are going to start up, some illegal, to try and cash in on the online business. Thats why I feel both countries are responsible for stopping it.

yes, the online part does have it's problems, just like all online activity. but that is not the main thrust of the legislation as I understand it.

I have to admitt I'd not be terribly comfortable filling out prescritions over the border. There are medical problems that can result in degrading of the professionalism of the pharmacist's role in the distribution of legal medical supplies.

However, there has to be a solution that can please both parties. Truth be told, medicine IS much cheaper here, not because of subsidization (which is a VERY common myth), but due to regulation of the industry. If nothing else, maybe this will be a wake-up to US drug distributers and manufacter's to play fair...

Forum List

Back