Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
If not, why did you never learn?
Can you pass a basic survival test?

Many swimmers come up short in water-safety skills

Competency with all five —
-floating or treading water for one minute without a flotation device;
-stepping or jumping into water over your head and returning to the surface;
- treading water or floating in a full circle and then finding a way out of the water;
- exiting a pool without using a ladder;
- swimming 25 yards (the length of a standard pool) without stopping —

is essential to being able to help yourself in a pool or open-water emergency,

Last edited:
I grew up in SoCal around lots of swimming pools and the ocean (Newport Beach). I learned to swim at the local YMCA when I was 5 and spent much time in the water. I was very comfortable in water. However, I live in Denver now and I haven't done any swimming in years so I'm likely not in good enough physical shape to handle a life/death situation.

I live on a lake, own three boats, can't swim and hate water. I joke that I take showers because there's too damn much water all in one place in a bathtub. I exercise and paddle around in our pool but no, I don't know how to swim.

I hate heights as well. But, in a few days, those two fears will be combined when I fly across an ocean on vacation. Going to Europe and Great Britain meant being way up high over a whole hell of a lot of water that you can even watch on the little TV on the back of the seat in front of you. Pretty cool to watch that and the way I see it, if the plane crashes, I won't survive anyway.

My dislike of water and heights aren't true phobias. I function just fine but when I was a kid, I had a couple of experiences that instilled those fears in me.

I know a guy who is so terrified of water that he actually doesn't shower. He washes in the sink and won't even do things like wash dishes. Glad I don't live with him.

my parents did not believe in life saving kills...

i am 60 and cannot swim....sadly.....i am thinking about trying to do adult swim lessons this year....

If not, why did you never learn?
Can you pass a basic survival test?

Many swimmers come up short in water-safety skills

Competency with all five —
-floating or treading water for one minute without a flotation device;

can do....
-stepping or jumping into water over your head and returning to the surface;

can do...

- treading water or floating in a full circle and then finding a way out of the water;

hm not sure of the question

- exiting a pool without using a ladder;

maybe....upper body is not that strong but ass is not that large

- swimming 25 yards (the length of a standard pool) without stopping —

o hell no....

is essential to being able to help yourself in a pool or open-water emergency,

my son was in swim lessons at 3 ish....he is an excellent swimmer....i truly believe in life saving skills....

Swimming is actually a natural instinct anyone can do. Those who cannot swim allow fear to prevent themselves from learning.

I learned before I ever went to school. I was three or four.

I can't imagine not knowing how to swim.
A buddy of mine cant swim a lick yet goes out in his boat fishing without a life vest on a regular basis.

Told him he better get a suspender auto inflate PFD,because even if you know how to swim,doing so in hiking boots or tennis shoes with long pants is a real bitch.

it is funny all those years at the pool and i still cant swim....and yes people give me hell for not swimming....and always offer to teach me how....

it is funny all those years at the pool and i still cant swim....and yes people give me hell for not swimming....and always offer to teach me how....

Well judging by your sterling and sparkly personality, I think if I were you I would pass on their offers as well. Those cinder blocks with the rope attached will not help you float. :eusa_hand:

The San Francisco Unified School District requires the ability to swim as a requirement to receive a high school diploma. The test is given at the beginning of the Sr. Year, those who fail are enrolled in a learn to swim PE class during their Sr. Year.

Pragmatic solutions to common problems = Common sense

yes, when the weather permists i swim a half mile every day. i swam in HS and in college.

Forum List

Back