Can you swim?

okay realistically how long would it take me to learn at adult swim?

It depends on your level of fear. It could take as little as a few minutes or never depending on how you approach it. You just need to learn to relax your body and learn to just float for awhile. After you get used to the feeling of buoyancy and the relationship between your body and the water I would suggest learning the back stroke. That way, your nose remains above water and you can learn to breath properly while swimming. I like to take long, slow, relaxed breaths while swimming. Anyway, find a patient, water-lover to teach you and just take your time at your own pace.

o the aqua people are all over teaching me how....they are amazed if and when i go into the water....we were at the lake...and i dog paddled out over my head....(i do a mean dog paddle)
and they ask me why i wasnt scared...i simply pointed to all the young buff men there....trying to impress the ladies...are they gonna admit they were there the day the old lady drown? o hell no....i would be fished out in a heart beat.....but i need to learn...i am not sure i want to learn however.....with the skin cancer its not like i can go into the water anywhere outdoors....i think hot tubs suit me ....

and there are odd things about water.....when i was plump my breasts were like nature's life vests...i would always end upright in the water.....one day i was at the waterfalls and i told a friend i was gonna float out and just float a while...he said no...that the waterfall changed the water and my ability to float would be hampered...to this day i do not understand what he was saying or if it was true....

If not, why did you never learn?
Can you pass a basic survival test?

Many swimmers come up short in water-safety skills

Competency with all five —
-floating or treading water for one minute without a flotation device;
-stepping or jumping into water over your head and returning to the surface;
- treading water or floating in a full circle and then finding a way out of the water;
- exiting a pool without using a ladder;
- swimming 25 yards (the length of a standard pool) without stopping —

is essential to being able to help yourself in a pool or open-water emergency,

I am a decent swimmer, and so are my children who have had lessons.

Swimming is one of the best ways to exercise. Taught myself how to swim at the Y before my session for swimming lessons came up. Worked as a life guard for 2 summers. Had to pass a similar test in the military in a pool with full uniform on.

Swimming with clothes on is a bitch. I imagine swimming with combat boots would be a royal bitch.
Closest I've come to that was wearing hiking boots.

If not, why did you never learn?
Can you pass a basic survival test?

Many swimmers come up short in water-safety skills

Competency with all five —
-floating or treading water for one minute without a flotation device;
-stepping or jumping into water over your head and returning to the surface;
- treading water or floating in a full circle and then finding a way out of the water;
- exiting a pool without using a ladder;
- swimming 25 yards (the length of a standard pool) without stopping —

is essential to being able to help yourself in a pool or open-water emergency,

i grew up on a lake

the first thing dad did

was teach me well all of his kids to swim

the first lesson

he tossed ya in the water

and said

sink or swim

and there are odd things about water.....when i was plump my breasts were like nature's life vests...i would always end upright in the water.....one day i was at the waterfalls and i told a friend i was gonna float out and just float a while...he said no...that the waterfall changed the water and my ability to float would be hampered...to this day i do not understand what he was saying or if it was true....

A water fall would introduce air to the water making it less able to support you.
It's the same reason you swim away from a sinking ship. You'll fall like a rock through the bubble column.

Last edited:
there are many things in life i fear....being on a sinking ship is not one of them.....just not one of them...i may be attacked by a list of predators when i go for a walk but no sinking ship in my future....

yes i see that ....and i remember it was something about air bubbles....and he said i would sink like a rock....

now the sinking of ships....it will pull you under? as you try to swim away....i have never quite got why they end up losing so many in ships and ferry accidents...i remember thinking when i heard those korean kids stayed on the ferry respecting authority...i was so glad i have an american kid....who would have said fuck that...lets move outta here....sometimes rebellion is the ticket and in both the recent cases....going out on your own proved the life saver....i still feel so for the parents of those kids...what a nightmare...

yes i see that ....and i remember it was something about air bubbles....and he said i would sink like a rock....

now the sinking of ships....it will pull you under? as you try to swim away....i have never quite got why they end up losing so many in ships and ferry accidents...i remember thinking when i heard those korean kids stayed on the ferry respecting authority...i was so glad i have an american kid....who would have said fuck that...lets move outta here....sometimes rebellion is the ticket and in both the recent cases....going out on your own proved the life saver....i still feel so for the parents of those kids...what a nightmare...

If the ship goes down it will leave a column of bubbles which wont support you. And it can suck you under as well. Put your hand next to a leaf in the water and push down,the leaf will follow your hand.
Thats why you swim away from the ship before it goes under.
And I agree,I would have been off that ferry in a heartbeat. The captain sure was.

Last edited:
omg and the captains....i was truly shocked by that...some friends ended up sinking off the coast....a couple and their damned dog...boat flipped on them....she managed to get the man and dog out and to the top....air pockets played in this story...when ask why....she was the captain...and took it damned serious...plus she loved the man and the dog...but what became of the tradition of staying with the ship...you should not have to go down with it if not needed but you sure damn sure stay and get the others off the ship...the italian guy....the recording of his being ordered back to his ship and refusing...was one of the worse things...and the ferry ..they just left those kids to die...

omg and the captains....i was truly shocked by that...some friends ended up sinking off the coast....a couple and their damned dog...boat flipped on them....she managed to get the man and dog out and to the top....air pockets played in this story...when ask why....she was the captain...and took it damned serious...plus she loved the man and the dog...but what became of the tradition of staying with the ship...you should not have to go down with it if not needed but you sure damn sure stay and get the others off the ship...the italian guy....the recording of his being ordered back to his ship and refusing...was one of the worse things...and the ferry ..they just left those kids to die...

Yep..dont expect them to go down with the ship. But they should help until the last moment,as all the crew should.

what i have found when i did go on ships or boats..they hand out life jackets for everyone then ask who cannot swim and we get a partner who can...just like little kids...the buddy system

Forum List

Back