Can You Beat Homelessness?

I played it a second time and ended up with $893 at the end of the month. This time I took a warehouse job instead of a restaurant one.

they are poor because of bad choices and a lack of interest in their economic status; or they are poor because they're just stupid.

I'm just gobsmacked at that comment.

I played it a second time and ended up with $893 at the end of the month. This time I took a warehouse job instead of a restaurant one.

There's no "do overs" in life. :lol:

It was lame anyway cuz I made WAY more as a server than they claimed I could.

Hey - the game asks if you want to play again!

I really like the bit where one has the option to steal the $10 out of the kid's birthday card.

I really like the bit where one has the option to steal the $10 out of the kid's birthday card.

I assumed that was to drive home the point that the poor cannot give their kids what they'd like to be able to.

Two Thumbs, surely yanno, servers at different establishments and on different shifts make different wages and tips?

Yeah, I got that one and one about seeing a $10 fall outta someones pocket.

If I'm down to taken peoples money, I got more serious honor issues, than money issues.

I assumed that was to drive home the point that the poor cannot give their kids what they'd like to be able to.

Two Thumbs, surely yanno, servers at different establishments and on different shifts make different wages and tips?

I know. I let the kid keep his $10, but bought him the cheapo sneakers at the bargain store for $10 instead of the more expensive $100 ones. I also said no to CIGARETTE SMOKING.

I know. I let the kid keep his $10, but bought him the cheapo sneakers at the bargain store for $10 instead of the more expensive $100 ones. I also said no to CIGARETTE SMOKING.

Ya, me too.

Sure of course.

but the assumption that you make $8/hr as a server is comically low. That's $64 in tips a day, if that's all you can pull in, you need to balls up and look for another line of work or apply at a better place.

they are poor because of bad choices and a lack of interest in their economic status; or they are poor because they're just stupid.

Why?

Allie is not known for pulling her punches. And in that post she states that she is also poor.

It's called first hand knowledge.

She's not stating that people 'want' to be poor, but make choices that keep them poor.

Yes, well, work with them and get back to me. Many of my clients cannot fill out an application, even when they do it every six months or more and have all their lives. They don't even get the PERSONAL INFORMATION right. That's their own name, dob, relationship to themselves.

It's not a personal judgement against them and I know intelligence takes many forms. But if they are my clients, they've got issues and stupidity is often one of them. What causes it is a whole different ball of wax.

Wow there are a lot of homeless people who stopped being homeless and now devote themselves full time to pretending to be superior to everyone in the internet.

Time and again you show that you seem to be viewing a completely different forum than everyone else

Bullshit, JB. Every single one of your posts on here has fairly screamed "no event could hold me down".

The raised rent claim is utter non-sense with no right answer.

tell him you have a lease, and that you will contact the courts/lawyer if he does not honor it.
Some complexes don't have leases like those you're thinking of

I have never heard of any place with rent that does not have a legal contract of some kind.

I signed a rental agreement that says little more than I have to pay for anything I break and I lose my deposit if i mess the place up.

I never signed a lease for any period of time- either I or my landlord can terminate our agreement at any time. Some places, that's the way it's done. Here I opted for it, though I was technically supposed to sign a 6-month lease- I just never did. The last place I lived, the leases were for one month and were renewed every month- they were inexpensive and targeted towards those unable or unwilling to make a long-term commitment to a lease for various reasons.

I imagine the laws and regulations surrounding such matters vary from place to place.
everywhere and everyone had a lease.

Not all are for a set period of time. The upside is that you make no commitment (they trend to be more forgiving on credit as well). The downside is lack of protection from rent increases and the fact that the landlord also has the ability to refuse to renew rent at the beginning of the month.

It's similar to the idea behind at-will employment. One must weight the pros and cons for a given situation.

Please tell me where you can live lease free so I can pay what ever I want and the land lord can try to kick me out of he wants.
As I said, I never actually signed the lease. I only signed the paperwork preceding the lease agreement- the liability stuff. YMMV.

There are myriad reasons why the poor have a much harder time enforcing their rights, Two Thumbs....and why the wealthy exploit them. That scenario is not altogether out of the realm of possibility.

Ima gonna fill you and Jbeuk on on sumptin;

I am poor.

I have has a land lord try to up my rent. When we were standing outside the court house he started to mumble his apologies and that after further research, blah blah blah. I took him to task, got a better apartment for the same rent.

Land lords (some) will out the screws to pussies, you turn the screws on them they flop like a school yard bully.

and no, I didn't have a lawyer.

I'm poor too. I don't count on the courts or state institutions to go to bat for me. I don't think it's worth the effort. I can expend that energy in a much more productive manner; i.e., parenting my children, focusing on being a decent person and doing the right thing. If I have a landlord try to up my rent w/out warning then I move.

Poor people do get the shaft but let me tell you something about poor people (and this is a subject I know inside and out)...they are poor because of bad choices and a lack of interest in their economic status; or they are poor because they're just stupid. The point is, people will shit on you when you're poor (and a poor single woman, omg, the schools shit on you, the courts shit on you, even the cops shit on you). But we ALL have the opportunity in this country to dig our way up into a different state of being. It's just about coming to terms with what needs to be done and what you are willing to change or sacrifice in order to get it done.
Did you just say you're stupid?

I'm inclined to agree- you are pretty stupid. Not everyone is poor because they're stupid or they did anything wrong- but that is a great thing to tell yourself so you feel better about those who starve or labour in the world's sweatshops or find that every time they apply for a job, the fact they they remain unemployed i held against them. Nor does it address those who are denied the opportunity to do right and improve their condition when they to change themselves or get beyond whatever has happened in the past.

Second time, I got fired for trying to start a union :lol:

So we dynamited the shop, took over the rest of the city's factories, and held the boss's son hostage until he agreed to install housings over the open gears...

iww-kat-2007.jpg

Wow there are a lot of homeless people who stopped being homeless and now devote themselves full time to pretending to be superior to everyone in the internet.

Time and again you show that you seem to be viewing a completely different forum than everyone else

Bullshit, JB. Every single one of your posts on here has fairly screamed "no event could hold me down".
Wtf are you talkin' about?

Like I said, I've been on the streets in three different states. I've seen why handouts don't work, I've seen how to run programs that really help people, I've seen those who don't want to help themselves and those who do. I've seen how being homeless makes it so difficult to find a job and how past joblessness compounds the difficulty in ending it. I've seen people get ripped off, known people who were killed, and seen programs that use the homeless to get funding to pay the people running it. I've seen groups (often church-based) that do all they can for those who really want to improve. I've seen the bourgeoisie spit on the poor and I've seen employers willing to put their neck out to give someone a chance.

Until you've gone hungry, slept in an abandoned warehouse, taken a birdbath in a bathroom because you needed a shower, slept outside a homeless shelter because it was full, and waited in line to get into the Armory because it was a hard freeze and you were just trying to get through the night, you can shut the fuck up. Some of us actually know what we're talking about.

To this day, I sometimes lie awake at night- in my own home, where I've lived for quite some time- listening for anyone who might be about- police, thieves, the owners of whatever building I might be in... Time on the streets, like time in prison, is something that stays with you for a long time afterward.

Forum List

Back