CDZ Can you be rational?

I do not accept PaintMyHouse as being an authority on being rational. Given the situation, it's not more rational to save either child rather than the other for there are many ways to rationalize the situation in the favor of either. Just pick one and get the job done.

I agree with the post above, overall. Your last sentence, however, made it considerably more difficult for me to do so, whereas minus that remark, I'd have had no cause to pause before thus concluding. The matter and choices aren't nearly as desultorily determined as that statement, which connotes a blase, perhaps even serendipitous, tone, implies.
Perhaps! But if only one child can be saved then the last sentence is the optimum. Being emotional or grief stricken will no in any way improve the situation. I suspect that if I were involved in such a situation, I would need professional counseling because I would beat myself up for the child that did not survive even though I know that such grieving to be irrational.

I agree with you. It was solely the tone of that final sentence that troubled me.

Personally, I think the final sentence weaken the paragraph as a whole, that is, the paragraph was far more poignant without that final sentence in a "less is more" way.

That probably comes as a shock to some readers for I often write long posts that attempt to comprehensively express the overt and subtle elements of my ideas, but I do understand the "less is more" principle too. I just don't take it to the extent whereby I use it as a reason to be less than fully clear and expressive.
I stand by that last sentence. Pick a child to save and get the job done. If that troubles you, I'm sorry, but that's the best that can be done given the rules set up by the OP. In high stress situations, sometimes it's best to be calm and in control. Consider how the astronauts of Apolo 13 handled their crisis. Panic can result in disaster in an emergency. One can be emotional after the emergency is over.

So, you lack all morals and rational thought.

What I lack is any desire or need to unnecessarily put myself at risk qithout a GUARANTEE of support if things go wrong and reward if they go well.

The Morals I was taught tell me that my personal safety is paramount in every situation.

So, you lack all morals and rational thought.

What I lack is any desire or need to unnecessarily put myself at risk qithout a GUARANTEE of support if things go wrong and reward if they go well.

The Morals I was taught tell me that my personal safety is paramount in every situation.
As I said, the thinking of an infant, and I very much doubt you were taught that. That is the teachings of a sociopath...

so·ci·o·path
ˈsōsēōˌpaTH/
noun
noun: sociopath; plural noun: sociopaths
  1. a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.
Google

Profile of the Sociopath

This website summarizes some of the common features of descriptions of the behavior of sociopaths.

• Glibness and Superficial Charm

• Manipulative and Conning
    They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

• Grandiose Sense of Self
    Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

• Pathological Lying
    Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

• Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
    A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

• Shallow Emotions
    When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

• Incapacity for Love

• Need for Stimulation
    Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

• Callousness/Lack of Empathy
    Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

• Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
    Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

• Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
    Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

• Irresponsibility/Unreliability
    Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

• Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
    Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

• Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
    Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

• Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
    Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.
Profile of the Sociopath

No, the rational answer and the only one that matters, is to attack the Nazi and kill him. The reason why a few hundred thousand scumbags were able to kill millions is the millions acted like sheep when they should have acted like lions and attacked. You see your choices are not choices based on reason. They are false choices based on fear and an unwillingness to think.
To fight them in that case would have meant you and the children would have all died then and there, which is irrational. It was too late to do anything but choose.

And yes, the Jews died like schoolgirls, not men.

The Jews would have been forced to take a knife to a gunfight since their guns had already been confiscated. Does that remind you of the present day at all?
Ten to one, 50 to one and you don't fight back? Fuckin' pussies.

I served in the military, did you?
I was never stupid enough to be cannon fodder, and got well paid to build death machines instead.

That explains your utter stupidity about who fights back and who doesn't, since you never had too.

To fight them in that case would have meant you and the children would have all died then and there, which is irrational. It was too late to do anything but choose.

And yes, the Jews died like schoolgirls, not men.

The Jews would have been forced to take a knife to a gunfight since their guns had already been confiscated. Does that remind you of the present day at all?

I was never stupid enough to be cannon fodder, and got well paid to build death machines instead.

That explains your utter stupidity about who fights back and who doesn't, since you never had too.
Tell us, why didn't the Jews fight back? They were slaughtered like lambs, outnumbered the men with guns ten to one, sometimes 100 to one, and yet they died like pussies. Why?

Tell us, why didn't the Jews fight back? They were slaughtered like lambs, outnumbered the men with guns ten to one, sometimes 100 to one, and yet they died like pussies. Why?

I wouldn't expect a big, brave builder of death machines to understand that the Germans had more than a hundred bullets and the Jews didn't even have a knife. I suspect that a XXXXX like you wants to know why captured American GI's didn't fight back on the Bataan death march and would call them pussies as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

I wouldn't expect a big, brave builder of death machines to understand that the Germans had more than a hundred bullets and the Jews didn't even have a knife. I suspect that a pussy like you wants to know why captured American GI's didn't fight back on the Bataan death march and would call them pussies as well.
Yep. If you won't die like a man, on your feet, death hardly being the worst fate, then you're a pussy. Clear?

As I said, the thinking of an infant, and I very much doubt you were taught that. That is the teachings of a sociopath...

I was most definitely taught that. Ever think that you, and many others may be over-analyzing life? That maybe the instinctive ideas of a child might have something going for them? Of course you haven't because then you wouldn't be paralyzed by your need to anslyze everything to death.

I was most definitely taught that. Ever think that you, and many others may be over-analyzing life?
No, because that's an utterly stupid thing to think. Live as a selfish infant if you like but don't attempt to call it moral or rational, it's neither.

To be a truly rational thinker you have to be able to make decisions based on very limited information and back up your reasoning. "I'm not sure why" or "I don't know" doesn't count.

A test (and feel free to post your own of course):

In front of you is a burning car about to explode. There are two people in the car, a teenage girl in the front and an infant boy in the back. You can save only one. Who is the most rational one to save, and why?

You cannot change the conditions of the test and that's all the information you have to go on. Points if you even attempt an answer (most won't)...

FYI:

"Socratic method, also known as maieutics, method of elenchus, elenctic method, or Socratic debate, is named after the classical Greek philosopher Socrates. Elenchus is a form of cooperative argumentative dialogue between individuals, based on asking and answering questions to stimulate critical thinking and to draw out ideas and underlying presumptions. It is a dialectical method, often involving a discussion in which the defense of one point of view is questioned; one participant may lead another to contradict themselves in some way, thus weakening the defender's point. This method is introduced by Socrates in Plato's Theaetetus as midwifery (maieutics) because it is employed to bring out definitions implicit in the interlocutors' beliefs, or to help them further their understanding."
Socratic method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd save whomever is closer to me.

To be a truly rational thinker you have to be able to make decisions based on very limited information and back up your reasoning. "I'm not sure why" or "I don't know" doesn't count.

In front of you is a burning car about to explode. There are two people in the car, a teenage girl in the front and an infant boy in the back. You can save only one. Who is the most rational one to save, and why?

You cannot change the conditions of the test and that's all the information you have to go on. Points if you even attempt an answer (most won't)...

FYI:

"Socratic method, also known as maieutics, method of elenchus, elenctic method, or Socratic debate, is named after the classical Greek philosopher Socrates. Elenchus is a form of cooperative argumentative dialogue between individuals, based on asking and answering questions to stimulate critical thinking and to draw out ideas and underlying presumptions. It is a dialectical method, often involving a discussion in which the defense of one point of view is questioned; one participant may lead another to contradict themselves in some way, thus weakening the defender's point. This method is introduced by Socrates in Plato's Theaetetus as midwifery (maieutics) because it is employed to bring out definitions implicit in the interlocutors' beliefs, or to help them further their understanding."

Physically or Emotionally?

FYI:

Irrational...

In the original scenario, not enough information is available to make a 'right or wrong' answer. Only a 'what would you do & the rationale for it'. You've since changed the rules to include Nazi's & end of the world, and that can change the outcome of answers. Therefore a bogus question.

If in reality, the teen is 400lbs & slumped over the wheel.........is anyone going to spend the precious time getting her out over the infant? Is the infant even in a car seat? Is she belted or even conscious?

Not enough information to make a decision that you are looking for to be the 'right' one

In the original scenario, not enough information is available to make a 'right or wrong' answer.
Enough was provided to make a rational decision. There is no End of The World scenario, that was from someone who didn't understand the question.

Based on the very limited information, which one do you save, AKA, which one has more value to society? The answer is easy, and brutal as life tends to be in these situations.

FYI:

The infant...the girl might be able to free herself, the infant can't.....

Since I value all life, I'd come up there yelling at her to see if she is conscious & capable, open her door to make sure it's not stuck...while getting to the infant & grabbing her to drag her out. In other words, I would do the best I could to save both. If the infant were dead or somehow bleeding/injured/mangled (car wreck?), I may focus more on her if she's more 'savable' than the infant. It would be more of making snap decisions based on what I found as I went along.

FYI:

If they were both on the passenger side of the car I would open the front door so the teen could possibly get out on her own but my priority would be to get the infant out of the back seat. If they were on opposite sides, the infant gets the priority.
Okay, TY, and you failed BTW, you are not rational in this case.

No...they are rational........they made a decision based on rational arguments...you don't like their decision so you say they are not rational...which is irrational of you....

In the original scenario, not enough information is available to make a 'right or wrong' answer.
Enough was provided to make a rational decision. There is no End of The World scenario, that was from someone who didn't understand the question.

Based on the very limited information, which one do you save, AKA, which one has more value to society? The answer is easy, and brutal as life tends to be in these situations.

Yes, clarified that way, there's almost no choice -- even for mildly rational thinkers let alone "Spock-grade" logicians -- about which to save. That clarification did not exist in the OP's first asking of the question. The OP presentation of the dilemma has enough info to make a rational decision, but not enough to constrain the set of rational choices to the extent that one of them is better than all the others. Your clarification in the post above achieves that.

Forum List

Back