Can you be a truly good Christian, yet be against universal healthcare?

Seriously though Ravi,

I'm glad to see that we are in agreement that invoking the golden rule in regards to government policymaking and lawmaking is naive at best and totally off the reservation retarded at worst.

Seriously though Ravi,

I'm glad to see that we are in agreement that invoking the golden rule in regards to government policymaking and lawmaking is naive at best and totally off the reservation retarded at worst.

Pretty amazing, isn't it?

But...what if you want to live in a society that taxes you? Isn't it your choice to be taxed as a condition of living in the society? I'm not sure if taxation violates the golden rule.

Pretty amazing, isn't it?

But...what if you want to live in a society that taxes you? Isn't it your choice to be taxed as a condition of living in the society? I'm not sure if taxation violates the golden rule.

If everyone agrees unanimously, at one time, exactly what will be taxed, how much, and what it will be spent on, then maybe. But since that is entirely unrealistic, I'd say that technically it does violate it. No matter what, there will always be at least somebody who would rather keep their money and do without the service.

If everyone agrees unanimously, at one time, exactly what will be taxed, how much, and what it will be spent on, then maybe. But since that is entirely unrealistic, I'd say that technically it does violate it. No matter what, there will always be at least somebody who would rather keep their money and do without the service.

What's to stop them? It would be difficult, but you could stop working and not pay any income tax. Or you could live in a cave and live off berries and tree bark and avoid sales tax. The homeless probably don't have to pay any taxes...:eusa_whistle:

What's to stop them? It would be difficult, but you could stop working and not pay any income tax. Or you could live in a cave and live off berries and tree bark and avoid sales tax. The homeless probably don't have to pay any taxes...:eusa_whistle:

Ahhh, so forcing people into caves and/or economic destitution is your idea of following the golden rule. How very compassionate of you.

Still, technically you know I'm right.

You could also leave the country and try your luck elsewhere.

No, technically you're completely wrong. You're just trying to exploit a loophole that doesn't really exist. There is NO choice involved.

You haven't made your case. I've given you three choices...there is no force involved.

There's force involved in all three choices artard.

Forced to pay, forced to leave, or forced to go hungry. Seriously, to argue that no force is involved is as disengenuous as it gets, even for you.

As long as you're forced to do anything, it's still force. No matter how many choices you're given.

mmkay. The golden rule is treat others as you want to be treated. So if I want to tax you if you make above a certain amount and I'll happily be taxed if I make above the same amount, how am I not keeping to the golden rule?

mmkay. The golden rule is treat others as you want to be treated. So if I want to tax you if you make above a certain amount and I'll happily be taxed if I make above the same amount, how am I not keeping to the golden rule?

So if I don't mind others trying to beat and rob me, I can do the same to you and I'm keeping the golden rule. :cuckoo:

Seriously, quit being a retarded assclown. It's decidedly beneath you... or so I thought.

So if I don't mind others trying to beat and rob me, I can do the same to you and I'm keeping the golden rule. :cuckoo:

Seriously, quit being a retarded assclown. It's decidedly beneath you... or so I thought.

Way to avoid answering the question.

:clap2:

The Golden Rule compels YOU to treat others as you would have them treat you. When used in the first person singular, it does not compel others to treat you as you wish to be treated, nor does it compel others to treat others as you wish to be treated. If you alter that to all-inclusive, then you are in fact compelling others to treat you and/or others as you wish to be treated. That is indeed forcing people to behave as you wish.

The Golden Rule is about freely giving. Your comment on taxation is about taking fairly and equally with or without the consent of those you are taking from.

I think you are making the same mistake as Mani. The golden rule isn't about being right or wrong, and it isn't forcing anyone to treat you, yourself in a certain manner. It's a guide to personal consistency. It tests that our own actions aren't going against our own moral code.

Forum List

Back