CDZ Can the GOP Nominate Someone With Fewer Delegates In His Favor Thank There Are Lined Up Against Him?

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
Can the GOP Nominate Someone With Fewer Delegates In His Favor Thank There Are Lined Up Against Him?

Or does the GOP have to nominate someone else? Or does the GOP Convention become absolute chaos like the Democratic Convention was in 1968?

Can the GOP Nominate Someone With Fewer Delegates In His Favor Thank There Are Lined Up Against Him?

Or does the GOP have to nominate someone else? Or does the GOP Convention become absolute chaos like the Democratic Convention was in 1968?
Parliamentary chaos ensues when, after a failure of any candidate to achieve a majority in the initial balloting, the convention is declared open and all delegates are released from their pledged candidate. This may well be the case when the time comes, but it is too early yet to tell.

What does seem certain is that no matter whom the convention picks, a very substantial minority of the delegates and of GOP voters are going to be angry and dissatisfied. The convention is shaping up as the Gettysburg of the Republican Party Civil War and it is hard to see how the fighting can go on after it.

It is quite possible, of course, that the losing side will bolt the GOP for a third party run. This would almost certainly elect a Democrat but in the resulting rubble the Republican will, perforce, end the fighting and reform.

Just my opinion, of course...

I feel that the people would riot at this point if they past up the person whom they obviously wanted in... We are to our breaking point with the government bullshit.

Parliamentary chaos ensues when, after a failure of any candidate to achieve a majority in the initial balloting, the convention is declared open and all delegates are released from their pledged candidate. This may well be the case when the time comes, but it is too early yet to tell.

What does seem certain is that no matter whom the convention picks, a very substantial minority of the delegates and of GOP voters are going to be angry and dissatisfied. The convention is shaping up as the Gettysburg of the Republican Party Civil War and it is hard to see how the fighting can go on after it.

It is quite possible, of course, that the losing side will bolt the GOP for a third party run. This would almost certainly elect a Democrat but in the resulting rubble the Republican will, perforce, end the fighting and reform.

Just my opinion, of course...

I bet ya Romney is going to jump in to be the nomination, this is why we see his face in the news...

I feel that the people would riot at this point if they past up the person whom they obviously wanted in... We are to our breaking point with the government bullshit.

You are at your breaking point with the GOP bullshit. There, I fixed it for you.

As time goes on most of the later Primaries are closed primaries, i.e. only republicans can vote in them, and more and more of them become "winner takes all". This is the mechanism in place to prevent convention chaos. If the Republican party wants someone other than Trump, it has to become a two man race very very soon.

I tend to think they wont do shit. Just more doom and gloom from the rubes and establishment.

You are at your breaking point with the GOP bullshit. There, I fixed it for you.

Watch and see..You can almost see those GOPers in a meeting room crying and planning their next move...poor babies..

As time goes on most of the later Primaries are closed primaries, i.e. only republicans can vote in them, and more and more of them become "winner takes all". This is the mechanism in place to prevent convention chaos. If the Republican party wants someone other than Trump, it has to become a two man race very very soon.

No. If trump ends up with less than 50% of the delegates, then all delegates are released and they can support who ever they want. It becomes a big thunder dome type affair with 2,340 participants. Many men enter, one man leaves.

Whether this could happen depends upon who writes the convention rules. Sadly those are plastic - not consistent year-to-year.

It's also what the leadership will do it it wants to create an election with Trump running solo. Their only hope then would be that Nutty Old Uncle Bernie will be sufficiently pissed, when he is dumped (and I have no doubt he will be), that he, too, runs solo.

Hey' wouldn't that be FUN!

Whether this could happen depends upon who writes the convention rules. Sadly those are plastic - not consistent year-to-year.

It's also what the leadership will do it it wants to create an election with Trump running solo. Their only hope then would be that Nutty Old Uncle Bernie will be sufficiently pissed, when he is dumped (and I have no doubt he will be), that he, too, runs solo.

Hey' wouldn't that be FUN!

You really enjoy making up all these strange scenarios that will never happen, don't you?

No. If trump ends up with less than 50% of the delegates, then all delegates are released and they can support who ever they want. It becomes a big thunder dome type affair with 2,340 participants. Many men enter, one man leaves.

Where did you see that? Do you have a copy of the rules? I would assume this would only be after a 1st ballot that goes by the delegates pledged vote.

Of course, people being people, there can always be changes. But the structure of the later primaries is designed to get one person to 50% or more.

Where did you see that? Do you have a copy of the rules? I would assume this would only be after a 1st ballot that goes by the delegates pledged vote.

Of course, people being people, there can always be changes. But the structure of the later primaries is designed to get one person to 50% or more.

This is what happens if Republicans face a brokered convention
    • Rule 29: Each delegate gets one vote. If the delegate holds two voting positions, he or she still gets only one vote.
    • Rule 16: If delegates vote for someone besides the candidate to whom they are bound, those votes aren't recognized.
    • Rule 37: States are called to vote in alphabetical order, but they can skip announcing their vote until later in the queue. The chairman of the state party announces the number of votes for each candidate.
    • Rule 38: States can't decide to cast all of their votes for whomever the majority of delegates back.
    • Rule 40: If, after all of the states (and territories) have announced their tallies, no candidate has more than 50 percent of the delegates' votes, "the chairman of the convention shall direct the roll of the states be called again and shall repeat the calling of the roll until a candidate shall have received a majority of the votes entitled to be cast in the convention." (Emphasis added.)
In other words, if after all of the voting no one wins, the delegates will keep voting until there's a majority. And that's where the deliberations come in.

• Rule 29: Each delegate gets one vote. If the delegate holds two voting positions, he or she still gets only one vote.
    • Rule 16: If delegates vote for someone besides the candidate to whom they are bound, those votes aren't recognized.
    • Rule 37: States are called to vote in alphabetical order, but they can skip announcing their vote until later in the queue. The chairman of the state party announces the number of votes for each candidate.
    • Rule 38: States can't decide to cast all of their votes for whomever the majority of delegates back.
    • Rule 40: If, after all of the states (and territories) have announced their tallies, no candidate has more than 50 percent of the delegates' votes, "the chairman of the convention shall direct the roll of the states be called again and shall repeat the calling of the roll until a candidate shall have received a majority of the votes entitled to be cast in the convention." (Emphasis added.)
In other words, if after all of the voting no one wins, the delegates will keep voting until there's a majority. And that's where the deliberations come in.

So basically one vote by the numbers, then all hell breaks loose.

Still, if they get it down to a two man race, one of them should have 50% based on the winner take all perference in later primaries.

Still, if they get it down to a two man race, one of them should have 50% based on the winner take all perference in later primaries.

Exactly, and the GOP is afraid that either Trump or Cruz. will be that man. Trump would guarantee a Democratic victory, and Cruz would guarantee the end of the republican party. That's why they are urging ALL the others to stay in.....even Ben Carson.

Exactly, and the GOP is afraid that either Trump or Cruz. will be that man. Trump would guarantee a Democratic victory, and Cruz would guarantee the end of the republican party. That's why they are urging ALL the others to stay in.....even Ben Carson.

How will Cruz signify the "end of the Republican Party?" Most of people's opposition to Cruz is based on "someone told me that he was told that Cruz is a meanie".

Of all the guys remaining Cruz seems to be the one to rise to the top. I was a Walker, then a Jindal guy, but those two bowed out early.

If they try such a stunt they risk destroying the Party.

Trump as the nominee can beat Hillary.

Trump as a third party ensures Hillary in office.

Simple as that.

To me the problem is Trump is running on high energy, and that is tough to maintain for months on end. The big fear is he peters out right after the nomination, people get tired of him, and BOOM President Clinton the 2nd.

Forum List

Back