Can Obama "Swiftboat" Romney?

Romney will simply tell the truth - "if you don't like capitalism- vote for Obama. If you feel like you are better off since Obama became POTUS- vote for him!"

yeah, that sounds like a winner. Captialism has done so well for those of us with underwater mortgages and busted 401Ks....

You really want to go with that?

I understand that people like you need the Nanny state to take care of you!! Go ahead, Vote for Obama. He'll protect you, coddle your nut sack, and only take your soul in return. You do enjoy government cheese, don't you? :lol:

So yeah, I think all of the Republican candidates are going to stick with "capitalism". The alternative is unacceptable.

Pointing out an existing record is way different than simply "making one up", which is what Republicans do.

Right. Because Kerry was never at those anti-war rallies.

He never threw his medals over the fence.

Those other vets never served with him.

The problem was that Kerry tried an ultimate makeover. They tried to paper over the stinking hippy war protestor and create this Rambo like war hero. But the hippy was still there, and it was obvious. And with Bin Laden out there trying to kill us, we didn't want a hippy.

I think the same tactic can work with Romney. Beneath the "Turnaround Artist" is a corporate raider who made his fortune screwing American workers.

They didn't just talk about his anti-war rallies..they made an issue of his time in Vietnam. At the Republican Convention, Republicans were wearing purple bandaids to make fun of Kerry's war wounds. It was disgraceful. The Swiftboaters said explicitly that Kerry did not "deserve" his medals.

In any case, smearing your enemies on a personal level is nothing new in politics. But Lee Atwater really turned that into an art. And I have seen some commercials which already exist about Romney and Bain capital. In one the people that worked for the company Bain capital recollect how they fired everyone, then took back the younger workers with a cut in pay and benefits. That one should play well. :clap2:
Do you know what Kerry's "war wounds" actually were?

:lmao:

Romney is attacked because he is a businessman. Herman Cain is attacked because he turned a failing company around into success.

Doing well in the business world seems to be something the left intends to use against Republicans.

I think it's more how you conduct yourself as a businessman...

Clearly, Romney went into companies that were doing fine and looted the crap out them. With AmPad, he went into a company that had 11 million in debt and stock worth $26.00 a share, and left it with 400 million in debt and stock worth .35 a share. But he made millions off the deal. Workers lost their jobs, stockholders lost their shirts, Bain made obscene amounts of money.

I don't think the evolution of OWS right now is happenstance. I think this is a co-ordinated attempt by the Dems to change the conversation. It isn't our fault the economy hasn't improved, it's the fault of those greedy guys on Wall Street.

And who does the GOP establishment want to nominate? A guy who watched It's a Wonderful Life and cheered for Mr. Potter.
And Soros?

What about Soros? What's Soros running for? And if playing around with currency futures was so bad..why aren't there now laws prohibiting that sort of action?

The problem was that Kerry tried an ultimate makeover. They tried to paper over the stinking hippy war protestor and create this Rambo like war hero. But the hippy was still there, and it was obvious. And with Bin Laden out there trying to kill us, we didn't want a hippy.

I think the same tactic can work with Romney. Beneath the "Turnaround Artist" is a corporate raider who made his fortune screwing American workers.

They didn't just talk about his anti-war rallies..they made an issue of his time in Vietnam. At the Republican Convention, Republicans were wearing purple bandaids to make fun of Kerry's war wounds. It was disgraceful. The Swiftboaters said explicitly that Kerry did not "deserve" his medals.

In any case, smearing your enemies on a personal level is nothing new in politics. But Lee Atwater really turned that into an art. And I have seen some commercials which already exist about Romney and Bain capital. In one the people that worked for the company Bain capital recollect how they fired everyone, then took back the younger workers with a cut in pay and benefits. That one should play well. :clap2:

MinorCut2.jpg

Kerry has a hunk of shrapnel in his butt.

That's laughable?

And from a certain point of view, they had a point. Two of the injuries he suffered were so minor that they required neglible treatment. One incident, the first one, they don't even think that there was any enemy engaged, that Kerry was simply injured by a sliver of metal from his own ordenance.

Nothing really wrong with that on it's face. Medal inflation is a common thing in wartime, especially amongst the officers.

The sore point with the SwiftVets was the anti-war activity, not the medal inflation.

And Kerry made things worse for himself by making dubious claims, like Nixon ordered his boat into Cambodia. Except there is no evidence his boat ever went to Cambodia and Nixon wasn't president at the time, LBJ was.

I don't think it's a smear to point out what people did.

Dukakis really did let Willie Horton out of prison.

Kerry really did embellish his war record and slander fellow vets.

Romney really did a lot of sleazy business deals that hurt real people.

Wasn't one of those war wounds a paper cut?

I understand that people like you need the Nanny state to take care of you!! Go ahead, Vote for Obama. He'll protect you, coddle your nut sack, and only take your soul in return. You do enjoy government cheese, don't you? :lol:

So yeah, I think all of the Republican candidates are going to stick with "capitalism". The alternative is unacceptable.

Uh, guy, the purpose of government is really to protect us from each other. Under true anarchy, the rich couldn't exist. We'd just take their stuff.

I would rather have a government that protects me from the wealthy than one that protects the wealthy from me. But I'll just be happy for one that tries to make things work better for everyone.

MinorCut2.jpg

It's amazing this shit gets repeated so much.

snopes.com: John Kerry's Service Record

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7vCGm33HAU]Kerry Grills Swift Boat Donor - YouTube[/ame]

Wasn't one of those war wounds a paper cut?
I think that is just an urban legend, but they were about as serious. None required more than a band aid. I know NO current or veteran of either Iraq or Afghanistan who requested a Purple Heart for a nick, let alone three of them. They would get laughed out.

Pointing out an existing record is way different than simply "making one up", which is what Republicans do.
....And, he surely does have....

....one o' THO$E!!!!!

"A Harvard-educated prodigy executive, Romney at a very young age was put in charge of a venture-capital outfit called Bain Capital.

Despite this success, however, Romney moved Bain away from boom-bust venture-capital investments and into the darker world of leveraged buyouts, where the firm borrowed money to make deals.

Even more telling was Romney's interest in a medical-testing firm called Damon Corp., which Bain bought in 1989. The company was eventually fined a record $119 million for defrauding the federal government out of $25 million, but Bain still tripled its investment on the Damon deal. And Romney, who was sitting on the Damon board at the time of the fraud (his claim that he was the one who called for an internal investigation has never been substantiated), made a personal profit of $473,000 on the deal. In a delicious detail that says a lot about the nature of Romney's morality, the investor had no problem making piles of cash off companies that executed mass layoffs or defrauded the government, but he balked when asked to invest in a Bain deal to acquire a video distribution company called Artisan Entertainment. "I didn't want to profit from a studio that made R-rated movies," he huffed."​

I specifically said that I didn't want to rehash the Kerry thing. Kerry was his own worst enemy, because he never really refuted their charges (because they were true), he just acted all indignant.

What he should have done is say, "As a young man, I let my passion overrule my judgement, and I didn't understand how some of my rhetoric was hurtful to those who served alongside me. I think I was right, but I should have said it differently."

I disagree with that. What Kerry should have done (but really couldn't because it conflicted so with his record in the Senate) was to say, "I served in the war with distinction, but protested against it because I believed it was wrong, and have never seen fit to change that opinion. Serving in the military is a duty of citizenship, and I did. Protesting a wrong action by the government is also a duty of citizenship, and I did. I have nothing to apologize for."

The trouble was that while he was an antiwar protester in youth, he signed on to other military actions quite comparable to Vietnam, such as the Iraq war, while in the Senate.

Anyway the false part of the swiftboating wasn't his antiwar protests but the allegations that he won Purple Hearts under false pretenses.

To the real thread topic: I'm sure that Obama will use anything against Romney that he can, but his personal behavior from years ago will probably be less useful than 1) the fact that most of the ACA was taken from Romney's health care plan for Massachusetts, and 2) the chance to tie Romney (unfairly, I must admit) to the terribly unpopular activities of the Republicans in Congress. Compared to these things, allegations about unsavory business activities in the far past aren't all that relevant.

I expect someone will bring them up, but expect Obama himself to soft-pedal them.

Good luck with that one. Romney has proven to be very adroit at handling questions.

Here is one answer to everyone of these stupid "gotcha" questions:

Effective and truthful.

One crying downsized employee > happy investor.

And there are lots of unhappy investors and ex-employees out there.

Mike Huckabee said of Romney, "He looks like the guy who lays you off".

Americans are working harder for less money and a lot of them took a bath on their 401K's while guys like Romney made a killing. I simply can't imagine a worse candidate to run against Obama.
And Obama enacted policies that do nothing to help 401Ks - rather they hurt them.

DJIA when Obama took office: About 7,400.
DJIA today: About 11,500.

If your 401K has not done well in the past three years you need to consider a better financial consultant.

Then someone looked at the fine print. They found his anti-War activities, they found that some of his medals were issued under dubious circumstances, the found guys who served with him who thought he was a real dirtbag.

It's his brilliant career at Bain Capital as a "turn-around" artist. His supporters just can't stop talking about it. Just as long as no one looks too close... oh, wait.

Two things. One on Kerry and one on the point of this thread.

On Kerry, his anti-war activities were well-known and were considered a plus to many liberals. He could be seen as both strong on the military because he served and someone who could serve the anti-Iraq War needs of much of the left. I think Kerry is a douche, but most of those people who "served with him" more accurately "served near him."

On Romney, I think he'll have a very easy retort. Every time Obama tries to bring up how Obama failed this one business, Romney will simply say Obama has failed all the businesses. I don't think Obama would be smart if he tried to go toe-to-toe with Romney on which candidate is better for business.

Improper use of terms makes your question dopey.

Yes, the Obama campaign will make use of Mitts record of killing American jobs if he is nominated. But since it is true....it is not "swift-boating" and not in any way ugly.

Actually, swiftboating is telling the truth.

But Romney made his forture making business viable which creates jobs, not destroying them.

Consider this. IN 2004, Democrats nominated John F. Kerry not because he was the one they liked or felt passionate about, but because on paper, he seemed like the antidote to George W. Bush. His war record innoculated him from any claims of being weak on defense. On paper, he looked great, if no one read the fine print.

Then someone looked at the fine print. They found his anti-War activities, they found that some of his medals were issued under dubious circumstances, the found guys who served with him who thought he was a real dirtbag.

And, no, my liberal friends, I don't want to rehash whether or not Kerry got a bad deal or not. Let's concede, the tactic worked, and winning ugly is still winning.

So now the Republicans found themselves a flip-flopper from Mass (is it something in the water?) who has something on his resume that sounds good on paper, as long as no one looks to close.

No, not Romney's record as Governor, which like Kerry's record in the Senate, was kind of unimpressive.

It's his brilliant career at Bain Capital as a "turn-around" artist. His supporters just can't stop talking about it. Just as long as no one looks too close... oh, wait.

How Mitt Romney made his huge fortune - Boston Globe expose

Oh, damn.

ROMNEY PROFITED ON FIRM LATER TIED TO FRAUD DAMON CORP. FINED AFTER SALE BY BAIN - The Boston Globe (Boston, MA) | HighBeam Research

Bain in 1988 put $5 million down to buy Stage Stores, and in the mid-'90s took it public, collecting $100 million from stock offerings. Stage filed for bankruptcy in 2000.

Bain in 1992 bought American Pad & Paper (AMPAD), investing $5 million, and collected $100 million from dividends. The business filed for bankruptcy in 2000.

Bain in 1993 invested $60 million when buying GS Industries, and received $65 million from dividends. GS filed for bankruptcy in 2001.

Bain in 1997 invested $46 million when buying Details, and made $93 million from stock offerings. The company filed for bankruptcy in 2003.

Wow, plenty to work with here...

holy shit, they invested 60 million for 8 years for a return of a lousy 5 million ( 8.3%?:eek:)

those bastards!!!!!!!!!!:evil:

:lol:

you realize that for a logical person none of this means anything right? Other than that they know when to buy, can manage assets and get out when they have to before it takes them down ....

Improper use of terms makes your question dopey.

Yes, the Obama campaign will make use of Mitts record of killing American jobs if he is nominated. But since it is true....it is not "swift-boating" and not in any way ugly.

Actually, swiftboating is telling the truth.

But Romney made his forture making business viable which creates jobs, not destroying them.

He made a bunch of jobs, IN CHINA.

Forum List

Back