Can Democrats Govern?

I don't think it was the republicans that they were worried about. I do believe it was the independents who were the deciding factor in the 2008 election.

personally? i think independents would rather see someone go medieval on their butts than someone sitting there saying "mother, may i?"

You mean someone more like Bush. :lol:

The butts they needed to kick weren't Republican, they were Democrat.

Not one Republican was necessary.

What happen to the Liberals is they were caught in a trap they built with their own hands.

They invested so much energy in painting Bush as a failure that people began to believe it.

Then Obama took office after campaigning as a centrist and a Washington outsider who would CHANGE D.C. business as usual, and governed as a Jimmy Carter Liberal who not only didn't CHANGE anything, but instead made things worse.

Then, on top of that, even with a super majority and tremendous personal popularity...he couldn't get anything DONE.

Independents are asking themselves "If Bush was a failure, what is Obama who can't even lead his own party,

who loses the bluest state in the country,

who looks like a fool at the Olympic committee,

who cannot get a deal worked out in Copenhagen,

who cannot make good on his OWN commitment to close Gitmo...

in fact he has decided some detainees are to be held indefinately and some are to be tried by military tribunals {wow, I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before :eusa_whistle:}

who followed Bush's plan for Iraq after campaigning against it,

who allowed another terror attack on his watch...

then didn't do a damned thing about it for nearly a week while he played golf,

and who managed to find a way to fail with a SUPER MAJORITY?"

THAT'S A FAILURE.

(and that's just the first year off the top of my head)

Last edited:

What happen to the Liberals is they were caught in a trap they built with their own hands.

They invested so much energy in painting Bush as a failure that people began to believe it.

Then Obama took office after campaigning as a centrist and a Washington outsider who would CHANGE D.C. business as usual, and governed as a Jimmy Carter Liberal who not only didn't CHANGE anything, but instead made things worse.

Then, on top of that, even with a super majority and tremendous personal popularity...he couldn't get anything DONE.

Independents are asking themselves "If Bush was a failure, what is Obama who can't even lead his own party,

who cannot make good on his commitment to close Gitmo...

in fact he has decided some detainees are to be held indefinately and some are to be tried by military tribunals {wow, I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before :eusa_whistle:}

THAT'S A FAILURE.

And the treason continues.

Why are you all such a giant bunch of traitors? Criticizing the president for useless BS in a time of war!

That's what you used to call it during the Bush years anyway, right?

Treason?

It sucks when someone points out your hypocrisy.

no, democrats cannot govern. cause even tho they have the wh, the house, and the senate they are stupid enough to blame Republicans for "obstructing" them... they need to take a laxative and get the hell over it. they look like fools. well make that had.. they had.. that's all over now.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

inartfully said... but you know what? there's a truth in there under all that rant... they shouldn't have allowed themselves to be "obstructed". they should have told them to piss off, same as repubs did to the dems for six years.

for six years the repubs didn't care if their bills had a single dem vote.
and any dem initiative put on the floor had to have a certain minimum number of repub co-sponsers before they'd even look at it.

when dems complained, they said "stop whining".

but this admin thought it would be "bi-partisan". you can't be bi-partisan with the "ihopehefails" losers. you have to stomp their faces. that's what schoolyard bullies deserve.

How exactly did they manage that since it's always taken 60 votes for cloture on a bill and the Republicans weren't even close to that number. They had Democrat support on every bill they passed out of the Senate.

I marvel at the naiveté of the right wing republicans on this site, Obama single handily is supposed to fix problems that go back to Reagan's destruction of the middle class, continued with Clinton and NAFTA, then fell completely apart under Bush Jr with the misuse of the surplus, and an illegal invasion of a sovereign nation that has wasted untold lives and resources.

One man is presumed to fix all this in one year. Wow, that would amaze even FDR. Folks we have been safe, our economy is on the road to recovery, and hopefully for all the Americans struggling under the weight of excessive medical costs, a plan is passed by the very people who already have a good healthcare plan. Will they do it? Good citizens would pray they did.

Last edited:
I marvel at the naiveté of the right wing republicans on this site, Obama single handily is supposed to fix problems that go back to Reagan's destruction of the middle class, continued with Clinton and NAFTA, then fell completely apart under Bush Jr with the misuse of the surplus, and an illegal invasion of a sovereign nation that has wasted untold lives and resources.

One man is presumed to fix all this in one year. Wow, that would amaze even FDR. Folks we have been safe, our economy is on the road to recovery, and hopefully for all the Americans struggling under the weight of excessive medical costs, a plan is passed by the very people who already have a good healthcare plan. Will they do it? Good citizens would pray they did.

I never expected miracles. But I had hoped the Dems would finally grow a pair and get shit done. I put the blame more on Congress than Obama. 'Course he should have called 'em in 6 months ago and bitch-slapped them for allowing the right to take control and set the narrative.

Again, thanks to Erik:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMlPE1lV_5Y]YouTube - Balls Beer for Health Care Reform, the Full Version[/ame]

I ought to forward that to every damned Dem in Congress.

who cannot make good on his commitment to close Gitmo...

THAT'S A FAILURE.

And the treason continues.

Why are you all such a giant bunch of traitors? Criticizing the president for useless BS in a time of war!

That's what you used to call it during the Bush years anyway, right?

Treason?

It sucks when someone points out your hypocrisy.

I don't know if it's hypocrisy...I was thinking more on the lines as..."right back atchya."

I never expected miracles. But I had hoped the Dems would finally grow a pair and get shit done. I put the blame more on Congress than Obama. 'Course he should have called 'em in 6 months ago and bitch-slapped them for allowing the right to take control and set the narrative.

The House is led by Nancy Pelosi of San Francisco. The Senate by Harry Reid. Both are liberals. Liberals run most of the committees in Congress. So where is "the right" in all this?? If you mean conservative Democrats, then the Dems could never have won control without them to begin with. Their failure to pass their agenda indicates their own incompetence at governing, their partisan blindness and arrogance in thinking they could roll the Blues, and the basic unpopularity of what they have proposed.

no, democrats cannot govern. cause even tho they have the wh, the house, and the senate they are stupid enough to blame Republicans for "obstructing" them... they need to take a laxative and get the hell over it. they look like fools. well make that had.. they had.. that's all over now
I think its just a more diversified party. Something like Democrats only vote along party lines 90% of the time while Republicans do 99%. That's just a feeling. Does anyone have stats?

Good or bad? I don't know. I'm against strong political machines so I like it.

When Massachusetts Independents elect a Republican Senator for the first time in my lifetime within one year of Bush's last day as President, I'd say there was at least a little fondness and longing
The Republicans had a much stronger candidate (speaking, appearance), and a more motivated base.

Wait, I thought Obama said we were going to pull out of Iraq and go after Afghanistan? That's what we're doing, right? McCain said something like "I'm not going to tell anyone any dates or plans about Iraq, and we're going to go after EVERYONE else".

Now blaming Obama for allowing a man on the watch list to board a plane in Africa and the European Union seems like a bit of a stretch. The only way I think he could have prevented it was to mandate a rule like "the TSA takes your clothes and you wear this hospital gown while in flight"

Oh, and I volunteer to be the Benign Dictator.
First thing, we kill all the lawyers.
Only the devote Democrat ones that are rapidly selling the country to the wolves. I have some very good friends that are Republican and they happen to be lawyers and such.

Thank you for pointing out at least one glaring fallacy in the OP. Too small? WTF would you call about 28% of GDP, an unprecedented level of interference by the gov't in the economy?
As for the rest, you continue to prove you have never met a Republican.
And you continue to prove you are an ignorant hack. Corporations having the status of "persons" goes back to the Taft court, at least.
I would just ignore rdean. He is an uneducated, knuckle dragging neaderthal whose only purpose in life is to call people names while driving up his blood pressure. Fell pity for him and pray he doesn't stroke out.

I'll be ambassador to the United Nations.

May the wind at your back always be your own.

My blood pressure is fine. I admit I don't know many Republicans. The ones I do know are ashamed of the Tea Baggers. Ashamed of Bush. Ashamed of Iraq. They seem to be Republicans because their parents are or were.

So you admit that it's a "good" thing that corporations can show political ads during campaigns? After all, they have lots of money. Hey, why not just let them "govern"?

SAYING IT AGAIN SO YOU CAN HEAR ME... mITCH mCCoNNELL POINTED OUT THAT GE OWNS NBC AND MSNBC THEY SAY WHAT THEY WANT WHENEVER THEY WANT AS LONG AS THEY WANT AND THE ARE THE MOUTHPEICES FOR THE DEMOCRATS.. HELLO,, SO YES THE REST OF THE CORPORATIONS SHOULD HAVE A SAY,, THAT'S FAIR. fAIR FAIR FAIR FAIR FAIR..

Wait, I thought Obama said we were going to pull out of Iraq and go after Afghanistan? That's what we're doing, right? McCain said something like "I'm not going to tell anyone any dates or plans about Iraq, and we're going to go after EVERYONE else".

Now blaming Obama for allowing a man on the watch list to board a plane in Africa and the European Union seems like a bit of a stretch. The only way I think he could have prevented it was to mandate a rule like "the TSA takes your clothes and you wear this hospital gown while in flight"

Bush orchestrated the surge AND the timetable for withdrawal.

Obama opposed the surge and is currently following Bush's plan.

Had we listened to Obama, the war in Iraq would have been lost.

As for the terror attack (or should I call it an attempted 'man caused disaster'?) Americans lay the blame on Obama's lack of focus on the War on terror (or should I say 'foreign contingency operation').

We have returned to the Clinton era law enforcement approach to terror attacks...and we are seeing the same results...or lack thereof.

As for the terror attack (or should I call it an attempted 'man caused disaster'?) Americans lay the blame on Obama's lack of focus on the War on terror (or should I say 'foreign contingency operation').

We have returned to the Clinton era law enforcement approach to terror attacks...and we are seeing the same results...or lack thereof.

So shoe bomb guy was Bush W's fault since W didn't do enough by this theory?

Baghdad blasts strike popular hotels, kill 37 - Yahoo! News
The surge fixed Iraq?

Don't get me wrong. I'm in favor of permanent military bases on the Tigris and Euphrates long as we're going to have to be ready to whup Muslims back in line for the next fifty years.

I would just ignore rdean. He is an uneducated, knuckle dragging neaderthal whose only purpose in life is to call people names while driving up his blood pressure. Fell pity for him and pray he doesn't stroke out.

I'll be ambassador to the United Nations.

May the wind at your back always be your own.

My blood pressure is fine. I admit I don't know many Republicans. The ones I do know are ashamed of the Tea Baggers. Ashamed of Bush. Ashamed of Iraq. They seem to be Republicans because their parents are or were.

So you admit that it's a "good" thing that corporations can show political ads during campaigns? After all, they have lots of money. Hey, why not just let them "govern"?

SAYING IT AGAIN SO YOU CAN HEAR ME... mITCH mCCoNNELL POINTED OUT THAT GE OWNS NBC AND MSNBC THEY SAY WHAT THEY WANT WHENEVER THEY WANT AS LONG AS THEY WANT AND THE ARE THE MOUTHPEICES FOR THE DEMOCRATS.. HELLO,, SO YES THE REST OF THE CORPORATIONS SHOULD HAVE A SAY,, THAT'S FAIR. fAIR FAIR FAIR FAIR FAIR..

GE is selling NBC so this is soon a moot point. But I'm having a difficult time seeing GE as a liberal institution.

What do you think? How could Reid & Pelosi manage to f*ckup a Super Majority? The answer is obviously No.

GE is selling NBC so this is soon a moot point. But I'm having a difficult time seeing GE as a liberal institution.

You don't get it, do you? Everything you think you know about political alignments is wrong.
Immelt Named To Obama's New Economic Advisory Board - 2009-02-06 16:58:11 | Broadcasting & Cable
immelt.jpg

That's Jeffrey Immelt, CEO of GE with Obama, if you didnt know.

So shoe bomb guy was Bush W's fault since W didn't do enough by this theory?

Baghdad blasts strike popular hotels, kill 37 - Yahoo! News
The surge fixed Iraq?

Don't get me wrong. I'm in favor of permanent military bases on the Tigris and Euphrates long as we're going to have to be ready to whup Muslims back in line for the next fifty years.

Richard Reed wasn't on the terror watch list, his father hadn't called the US Embassy to report Reed was radicalized and a threat to others.

I don't know why this thread continues. The Dems have proved yet again that they cannot govern as one of my newest threads shows.

Political contributions

General Electric's political action committee (PAC) gave $1,281,400 to federal candidates in the 05/06 election cycle - 37% to Democrats and 63% to Republicans. [9]
General Electric - SourceWatch
General Electric | OpenSecrets
I don't make this stuff up!

Ad boycott against Air America Radio

General Electric refused to advertise on the progressive Air America Radio. In October 2006, around 90 companies, including General Electric, told ABC Radio Networks that they did not want their ads to play on any radio station that carried Air America Radio. [6] [7] [8]
General Electric - SourceWatch
Really, GE isn't a bunch of hippies!

Are you calling George Norris a Democrat because he helped create the TVA? How about Stimson and Knox?

Immelt isn't someone I know well. Just browsing through his contributions I noticed he contributed a bit to John McCain, Hillary, Romney, Giuliani, and Dodd. Before that Daschle and Bush.
NEWSMEAT ▷ Jeffrey Immelt's Federal Campaign Contribution Report

Forum List

Back