Can Democrats Govern?

Emma

Evil Liberal Leftist™
Found this on another forum.

Ezra Klein - Can Democrats govern?

It's worth taking a step back from health-care reform for a second. What Democrats are doing isn't just abandoning a particular policy issue. They're proving themselves unable to govern.

Democrats spent most of 2009 with 60 votes in the Senate and about 256 in the House. They had a popular new president who was following a disastrous Republican administration and a financial crisis. The opposition party was polling somewhere between foot fungus and spoiled meat. You don't get opportunities like this very often. The Senate majority, in fact, was larger than either party had enjoyed since the 1970s. And what have Democrats accomplished?

Well, not much. You can see a list here. A stimulus that was too small. Ted Kennedy's Serve America Act. Credit card regulations that were largely an acceleration of rules the Federal Reserve was going to impose anyway. I guess they almost passed a compromised health-care bill, but you don't go down in history for almosts.

If Democrats abandon health-care reform in the aftermath of Brown's victory, the lesson will be that they can't govern. No majority within the realm of reason will give them the votes to move their agenda swiftly and confidently. Even the prospect of the most significant legislative achievement in 40 years, an achievement that will save hundreds of thousands of lives, will not keep them from collapsing into chaos when they face adversity.

At that point, what's the pitch for voting for Democrats? That they agree with you? A plumber and I both agree that my toilet should work. But if he can't make it work, I'm not going to pay him any money or invite him into my home. Governance isn't just about ideology. It's also about competence and will. That's where Democrats are flagging.

I really have nothing to add except he's hit the nail on the head.

With the Cowardly Lion and the Wicked Witch running the Democrats in Congress, jack and shit is going to get done. And jack left town a long time ago.

Their first step is to grow a spine. And to get their balls back from the mantle wherever the GOP is currently keeping them.

In the last year Obama and the Democrats have proven to me that they are nothing but a sorry group of spineless inepts who couldn't govern a small town's local senior class.

Its a case of be careful what you wish for, you may just get it.

For years, Dems dreamed of a supermajority and control of all three branches, and when they had it, they fell to infighting and eventually to greed and dishonesty. Its not often you see a party having to bribe its own senators to vote for something they have dreamed of for decades.

Yet we saw exactly that.

In the last year Obama and the Democrats have proven to me that they are nothing but a sorry group of spineless inepts who couldn't govern a small town's local senior class.

Seriously, the people who governed my senior class last year could run things better than these clowns. And that's saying alot. :eusa_eh:

Seriously, the people who governed my senior class last year could run things better than these clowns. And that's saying alot. :eusa_eh:

You could take a selection of some of the brighter and more mature posters here and they could run this country much better. Seriously.

You could take a selection of some of the brighter and more mature posters here and they could run this country much better. Seriously.

We should have a thread about which posters would make the best Administration!!! :lol::lol:

We should have a thread about which posters would make the best Administration!!! :lol::lol:

I think Sinatra could be the Sarah Palin.:razz:

That would be a fun thread!

I call Ambassador to Brazil!

You like brazilians? :lol::lol::lol:

*Ponders whether Art will get the joke.*

I call Chief of Staff. The power behind the office. That's me.

Shit. My Border Collie could have done a better job than those Clowns. Jeeze

It's worth taking a step back from health-care reform for a second. What Democrats are doing isn't just abandoning a particular policy issue. They're proving themselves unable to govern.

Democrats spent most of 2009 with 60 votes in the Senate and about 256 in the House. They had a popular new president who was following a disastrous Republican administration and a financial crisis. The opposition party was polling somewhere between foot fungus and spoiled meat. You don't get opportunities like this very often. The Senate majority, in fact, was larger than either party had enjoyed since the 1970s. And what have Democrats accomplished?

Well, not much. You can see a list here. A stimulus that was too small. Ted Kennedy's Serve America Act. Credit card regulations that were largely an acceleration of rules the Federal Reserve was going to impose anyway. I guess they almost passed a compromised health-care bill, but you don't go down in history for almosts.

If Democrats abandon health-care reform in the aftermath of Brown's victory, the lesson will be that they can't govern. No majority within the realm of reason will give them the votes to move their agenda swiftly and confidently. Even the prospect of the most significant legislative achievement in 40 years, an achievement that will save hundreds of thousands of lives, will not keep them from collapsing into chaos when they face adversity.

At that point, what's the pitch for voting for Democrats? That they agree with you? A plumber and I both agree that my toilet should work. But if he can't make it work, I'm not going to pay him any money or invite him into my home. Governance isn't just about ideology. It's also about competence and will. That's where Democrats are flagging.

Stimulus too small? Republicans wanted the country to go bankrupt and the President to fail.

It's harder for Democrats to govern because they are made up of many different groups. Republicans are mostly uneducated white Christians who don't even know what they want. 8 years under Bush proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. They didn't "govern", they "ruled".

Look at what the conservative Supreme Court just passed. They made corporations "people". Conservatives are dancing in the street. Politicians will now go to the highest bidder. Even out power, they corrupt.

Its a case of be careful what you wish for, you may just get it.

For years, Dems dreamed of a supermajority and control of all three branches, and when they had it, they fell to infighting and eventually to greed and dishonesty. Its not often you see a party having to bribe its own senators to vote for something they have dreamed of for decades.

Yet we saw exactly that.
The less liberal Democrats had to be convinced to vote for the Marxist bills. I can understand that. Not all Democrats are completely stupid like the extreme left that Obama/Pelosi/Reid represent. Some of them have good sense...like Zell Miller, Joe Lieberman and others.

I think one generalizes when one uses the term "Democrats".

I'm not sure you'd have to find the brighter and more mature among us. A warm dog could have done better than any one of the current rat pack.

You like brazilians? :lol::lol::lol:

*Ponders whether Art will get the joke.*

I call Chief of Staff. The power behind the office. That's me.
Brazilian beach volley ball can be interesting at times.

Last edited:

Stimulus too small? Republicans wanted the country to go bankrupt and the President to fail.

It's harder for Democrats to govern because they are made up of many different groups. Republicans are mostly uneducated white Christians who don't even know what they want. 8 years under Bush proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. They didn't "govern", they "ruled".

Look at what the conservative Supreme Court just passed. They made corporations "people". Conservatives are dancing in the street. Politicians will now go to the highest bidder. Even out power, they corrupt.

Thank you for pointing out at least one glaring fallacy in the OP. Too small? WTF would you call about 28% of GDP, an unprecedented level of interference by the gov't in the economy?
As for the rest, you continue to prove you have never met a Republican.
And you continue to prove you are an ignorant hack. Corporations having the status of "persons" goes back to the Taft court, at least.

Forum List

Back