Can anyone tell me?

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
First off I don't know anything about computers, just enough to get by.
I saved a paper on Microsoft word 2003 and put it on a disc but now I am school and I can't open it on their computer which has 2007. Someone told me you can save it on a thumb drive but couldn't find fine so I figured you could save it on a disc.

I saved a paper on Microsoft word 2003 and put it on a disc but now I am school and I can't open it on their computer which has 2007. Someone told me you can save it on a thumb drive but couldn't find fine so I figured you could save it on a disc.

If you saved it as a .doc file, there's no reason it shouldn't work between two different versions of MS word, because I have to do the same thing all them time with thumb drives and discs... can you see the file on the disc on your 2nd computer?

I should have just emailed it to myself, I don't know what I was fucking thinking.

If you saved it as a .doc file, there's no reason it shouldn't work between two different versions of MS word, because I have to do the same thing all them time with thumb drives and discs... can you see the file on the disc on your 2nd computer?
no not at all, I am thinking that my roomate didn't save it to the disc at all. I was in a hurry.

no not at all, I am thinking that my roomate didn't save it to the disc at all. I was in a hurry.

That could be the problem. Like you said, though, emailing it to yourself sounds like the best idea if both computers have internet access.

If you saved it as a .doc file, there's no reason it shouldn't work between two different versions of MS word,

not entirely true. W/.out the compatibility pack, anything saved in'o7's standard .docx format cannot be opened in '03
Yes, but a .doc will work on any version of word as far as I know.

kinda

If you save in a newer version and try to open again in an older version (without savings as a '2003 .doc' instead of just '.doc' there can be problems. I had that issue w/ 97 and 2003 before.

Just gt a flash drive and gett OOo Portable on it

not entirely true. W/.out the compatibility pack, anything saved in'o7's standard .docx format cannot be opened in '03
Yes, but a .doc will work on any version of word as far as I know.

kinda

If you save in a newer version and try to open again in an older version (without savings as a '2003 .doc' instead of just '.doc' there can be problems. I had that issue w/ 97 and 2003 before.

Just gt a flash drive and gett OOo Portable on it

Really? I've never had problems. Then again, I know shit about compatibility and I've never used '97. I do use Open Office; I didn't want to pay for Word on my new computer and didn't feel like downloading it illegally, so I went with what was free. :razz:

That could be the problem. Like you said, though, emailing it to yourself sounds like the best idea if both computers have internet access.
That is what I did. Then I opened the file and didn't put save, so every time I pushed save it wasn't really saving it. Plus I was having writers block, not be able to come up with a real theme.

I love computers. They frustrate me. They make my life so much easier. We go back and forth but I wouldn't be able to function w/o my 'puter or my cell.

I love computers. They frustrate me. They make my life so much easier. We go back and forth but I wouldn't be able to function w/o my 'puter or my cell.
they sure as hell make school easier. Now you can go on blackboard and the teacher completly outlines all assignments and exams with study guides. Today I wanted to shoot a computer, besides all my stupid mistakes the computers at school I think were tired from it being finals week and you couldn't log half the time.

Relying on a roommate with anything uber-important is never a good idea... I've always emailed papers to myself in order to print them at school... or better yet... printed them at home ... Get a printer for 50 bucks from craigslist or a new one for 100... and thou shalt not worry yourself about this shit again ;)

Last edited:

Relying on a roommate with anything uber-important is never a good idea... I've always emailed papers to myself in order to print them at school... or better yet... printed them at home ... Get a printer for 50 bucks from craigslist or a new one for 100... and thou shalt not worry yourself about this shit again ;)
I have a printer, I had to finish the paper!

Oddly, the word "computer" is obsolete ... since they really don't compute as much these days, most computers wind up just ... well .. displaying multimedia.

Anyhoo, for the Word problem, what you save it on shouldn't be an issue, however since it's Microsoft you could have problems as they make you pay for backwards compatibility more with each new release, greedy bastards. Thus why Open Office is sweeping the globe so well ... it's all free, easy, and keeps up with both old formats and new ones. The one you have running Word 03, try installing Open Office instead, then you can save it in 07 format if you still have problems in the future.

Be forewarned: Unless things have changed, OOo 3.x's .docx support remains imperfect (due to MS being jews and assholes). Stick to .doc for maximum compatibility (or .odf, but I recommend .doc)

Well I finished my paper, I thought I didn't have enough and then I read the assignment again and my margins were not big enough, after that it was one page longer then it had to be. Man I am so glad that is over now I just have to take the final today and I am done.

Forum List

Back