Can anyone read Finnish?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I found this wooden box at a flea market yesterday. It measures 2.94" (74.6mm) long by 2.21" (56.1mm) wide by 0.745" (19mm) thick. It has pin-etched into one side "19 72/4 46" and the letters "H.P.", and "10. 5." with a symbol in the middle that appears to be a "W." The box can be opened from one end and the contents are as follows: 1 5-1/4" by 4" handwritten double-sided paper note which as far as I can tell, is in Finnish. Also one 2-3/8" by 2-1/4" paper note, also written in what appears to be Finnish.

Also in the box were nine small metal campaign or service attachments that go on ribbon bars, which are WW2 US military. Included are two "V" for Valor attachments, four small brass ribbon bar stars, one silver ribbon bar star, and two gold ribbon bar stars.

Now the ribbon bar service or theater attachments are fairly common. You see them on ribbon bars all the time on Ebay. What I find curious are the notes which as far as I can tell, were written in Finnish.

Any ideas?

Here are some pictures:

mystery1.jpg

mystery2.jpg

mystery4.jpg

mystery8.jpg

mystery9.jpg

mystery9a.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe the image isn't clear enough, but are you sure that "19 72/4 46" doesn't actually say "19 12/4 46"? It appears to be the date Dec. 4, 1946.

Maybe the image isn't clear enough, but are you sure that "19 72/4 46" doesn't actually say "19 12/4 46"? It appears to be the date Dec. 4, 1946.

Thanks. It is a 12/4. I had to change the thread because the language on the notes is Finnish, not Estonian.

It looks like it's had some sort of Wood Finnish applied to it.
The Finns love fine woodworking. The letters are standard greetings and so forth. A couple of phrases from mystery8.jpg and mystery9.jpg:
«Puu on Suomen ulosvienti-tavaraa.»
=«The wood is Finnish export goods.»
«Monet rak[k]aat terveiset teille kaikille yhteisesti»
= “Many dear greetings to you all unitedly.”

Forum List

Back