Can anyone help me find lesser known Bible translations?

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013
Does anyone know of any lesser known Bible translations or Bible translators where I could buy their translations?

About 12 years ago, a Bible college had used books with translations of the Bible by different translators. For some reason I didn't see the need then but I wish I had bought them. The Bible college has closed their bookstore and everyone buys their textbooks online.

I'm not talking about Bibles I could find in the CBD catalog, in Wallmart or Sam's Club.

I thought I would ask the Christians here and all the other Bible experts here to see what they know and if they can answer this.

Does anyone know of any lesser known Bible translations or Bible translators where I could buy their translations?

About 12 years ago, a Bible college had used books with translations of the Bible by different translators. For some reason I didn't see the need then but I wish I had bought them. The Bible college has closed their bookstore and everyone buys their textbooks online.

I'm not talking about Bibles I could find in the CBD catalog, in Wallmart or Sam's Club.

I thought I would ask the Christians here and all the other Bible experts here to see what they know and if they can answer this.
\

Save your money. This link is all you need.

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions and 50 languages.

Thank you Professor. But I want to spend my money and not just get Bibles that are translated into Chinese.

I'm a christian but I have never been to bible school, Chuck. So I have no clue. I just study the KJV. Its a Jewish book so the Jews are going to be the best ones to help understand it. So I would go with Mike's advice on that one. Learning the Hebrew meaning of words in the Torah is the right way to go. IMO. - Jeri

Thank you Professor. But I want to spend my money and not just get Bibles that are translated into Chinese.

The link I gave you provides about 50 versions in English with translations into many other languages.

Thank you, Professor! I will have to look at that link too! We are blessed to have such knowledgable teachers here! I'm grateful! You all have a good week and be blessed. Bye. - Jeri

I'm a christian but I have never been to bible school, Chuck. So I have no clue. I just study the KJV. Its a Jewish book so the Jews are going to be the best ones to help understand it. So I would go with Mike's advice on that one. Learning the Hebrew meaning of words in the Torah is the right way to go. IMO. - Jeri

Jeri,

These books are written by a Greek professor and the translation is explained in his volumes. The last time I started recommending it, the price shot up to $80. He was one of the NASB translators and I find it very helpful:

Christianbook.com: Word Studies in the Greek New Testament, 4 Volumes: Kenneth Wuest: 9780802822802

Chuck

Lesser known to who?

Most of the better known translations are available for free online. If you want paper copies of them I would suggest contacting a publisher or perusing bookstores.

I will have to place an order - thank you for the link, Mike.

It's free.

Just read the English .

lol. I came back to put up a few songs for some folks and saw your reply, Mike. I'm trying to buy something that is free? Now you and Chuck know why I didn't go to bible school! I'm not the brightest bulb in the box! ha! ha!

True story for Chuck! About 24 years ago when I first got saved I was part of a prayer group. A lady at the church I attended said I see the anointing on your life. I was very excited to hear that and went to a meeting where another pastor was praying for people at his meeting. I went up for prayer and said, Pastor, this lady told me I have the anointing on my life. What do you see? (he could see the anointing and different calls on peoples lifes )

He said, "I don't see anything." I said, "Nothing?" He said, "Nothing." So I didn't think about it any more.

Years later the Lord let me know he had called me to be a laborer and I was happy to hear it. I'm thankful to be a laborer. He has few, you know. Have a nice weekend.

- Jeri

Last edited:

Lesser known to who?

Most of the better known translations are available for free online. If you want paper copies of them I would suggest contacting a publisher or perusing bookstores.

If I asked you who was on the translation committee of the NIV or NASB, would you know? Sometimes people who take years of Greek have to translate the Septuagint into their own translation. These individuals are very smart but they sometimes get invited to translate the Greek into translations like the ESV or other versions. There is only one Amplified Bible that is accurate to the Greek according to my Church and they sell it at cost.

Why is this important? When I started to do evangelism, all I wanted was to give people free information and to see them go to heaven. Instead, all I got was resistance and interference and I came along arrogant false teachers who say the opposite of the Bible is true. I'm trying to teach accurately what the Bible says and there are other people committed to teaching error. They're so arrogant that none of the translations matter and they know better than two dozen or more translations.

I have over 70 feet of academic Christian reference books, took Bible in a Bible Institute, learned from two dozen or more from the best teachers on the radio and people still won't listen.

Luke 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Even the Jews who saw the miracles in the Old Testament didn't enter into the promised land because of unbelief.

Last edited:

Lesser known to who?

If I asked you who was on the translation committee of the NIV or NASB, would you know? Sometimes people who take years of Greek have to translate the Septuagint into their own translation. These individuals are very smart but they sometimes get invited to translate the Greek into translations like the ESV or other versions. There is only one Amplified Bible that is accurate to the Greek according to my Church and they sell it at cost.

Why is this important? When I started to do evangelism, all I wanted was to give people free information and to see them go to heaven. Instead, all I got was resistance and interference and I came along arrogant false teachers who say the opposite of the Bible is true. I'm trying to teach accurately what the Bible says and there are other people committed to teaching error. They're so arrogant that none of the translations matter and they know better than two dozen or more translations.

I have over 70 feet of academic Christian reference books, took Bible in a Bible Institute, learned from two dozen or more from the best teachers on the radio and people still won't listen.

Luke 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Even the Jews who saw the miracles in the Old Testament didn't enter into the promised land because of unbelief.

It isn't your job to convince the people who disbelieve by being able to argue the various interpretations of Scripture with them, it is your job to show them that Jesus changed your life, and to be ready to give a defense of the hope that lives in you. (1 Peter 3:15.) That is not only more effective, it is a lot harder to do.

The Amplified is essentially the NAS with alternate readings includied in the text instead of being in footnotes.

No translation is the most accurate, and it takes less time to learn Greek than they are telling you. I personally know around 50 people who learned Greek in school and translated at least one book of the New Testament as part of their seminary training. I taught myself the rudiments of Greek in less than a year, and I am lousy at languages.

I would recommend you read a different translation from cover to cover every year. Don't get hung up on one translation,and don't try to figure out the best one, read them all. Eventually you will develop a nuanced understanding of them all, and have a better understanding of the Bible than all those references will give you.

Don't get me wrong, I have over 200 books in my study library, but I rarely use them when talking to non believers. They are there for me, not toehrs.

The only books I consider indispensable are the interlinears, especially the Septuagint.

Why don't you ask our Creator questions instead of man?

He knows much more than man does about the prophecies.

Lesser known to who?

What's the OT?

Why don't you ask our Creator questions instead of man?

He knows much more than man does about the prophecies.

Word,

I started preaching the gospel by faith and I was listening to four different pastors on the radio and they happened to teach verse by verse on different things in the Bible and God had their days arranged that I would literally get a message on what to teach the next day because the people I was witnessing to brought up the same subjects at the same time. The Christians in the days and before the Westminster Confession of Faith experienced the same thing:

Article X says,"The Supreme Judge, by which all controversies of religion are to be determined, and all decrees of councils, opinions of ancient writers, doctrines of men, and private spirits, are to be examined, and in whose sentence we are to rest, can be no other but the Holy Spirit speaking in the Scripture.1"

-Westminster Confession of Faith

I believe article X because I believe that we are to test all things by scripture (Acts 17:11) and that the Holy Spirit comes alive like they say and that the Holy Spirit speaks in and through the scriptures.

Chuck

Forum List

Back