Calling out "Mansplaining" and Misogyny!

Discussion in 'Bull Ring Discussions and Call-Outs' started by Derideo_Te, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Derideo_Te

Derideo_Te Je Suis Charlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,090
    So the context here is that when [MENTION=23424]syrenn[/MENTION] asked me if I wanted to participate and help out for Breast Cancer Awareness month I decided that I this was a worthy cause and that I would contribute. Switching over to pink avatars and pos repping everyone who did was all part of the fun. As Halloween approached the theme of the avatars began to change so I looked for one that would include the BCA theme of pink and boobs and I opted for my current Elvira avatar. I continued posting giving it no more thought than I had to the similar themed avatars that I had used earlier.

Then I came across this thread by [MENTION=12394]PoliticalChic[/MENTION] and opted to participate with a response.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/320446-democrats-folding.html

My post elicited a response from [MENTION=30955]Rottweiler[/MENTION] which resulted in a number of other posts from each of us. At first I ignored the lame insults as is my wont because most posters will drop them if I don't respond in kind. However the tone rang a bell with something that my daughter had mentioned to me about "mansplaining" and so I did a little research and this sure looks like it to me;

http://www.usmessageboard.com/8049507-post188.html

The thread has many more such posts and they are nowhere near as "polite" but it the sheer condescending BS that needs to be called out here. It literally opened my eyes to the fact that women have had to put up with this kind offensive attitude from room temperature jerks like [MENTION=30955]Rottweiler[/MENTION] for their entire lives. Yes, I can understand why he mistook me for being female but his lowbrow puerile responses were both unprovoked and sexist.

Ladies, I admire your restraint at not kneeing runt of the cognitive litter needle dicks like [MENTION=30955]Rottweiler[/MENTION] in the groin at every opportunity because they thoroughly deserve it. But this is the internet and you can only do so virtually. So I have started this thread for the purpose of identifying and calling out "mansplaining" and misogyny in these threads.

From a male perspective we can choose whether we want to be associated with the likes of the knuckle draggers or be real men and stand up for women by calling out this abominable behavior whenever we see it. If you supported BCA then let's also support making this forum a better place for all of us to share our opinions without resorting to the lowest common denominator.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  2. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,411
    LOL, i dont mean to laugh.... but you got a taste of how men (and some women) treat you as a woman. I have to say that it may be a good learning experience.

3. Derideo_Te

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,090
    Yes, it was a learning experience. :) It took something that I only really had an intellectual grasp of and turned it into something much more real. My reaction was how dare anyone speak to women like this? It was literally jaw dropping. In real life I would probably have done something physical about it but in a virtual world that isn't feasible. So I opted for the next best thing that I could think of.

4. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,768
    Since you decided to say it was a "Calling out", I moved it to the Bull Ring.
    Could be moved again.

5. Derideo_Te

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,090
    I wasn't exactly sure where it was supposed to go so thanks for moving it, Alan.

:)

And yes, it might end up in the FZ depending on the responses.

6. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,014
    Not if you were a woman. We've been putting up with manshit for evah and are pretty good at either calling guys out on it or just ignoring it. Well, just speaking for myself.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  7. Sunshine

Sunshine Trust the pie. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    Most of us just realize that their puny little egos have to have it that way! Try being a woman in law school if you want to experience misogyny.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Derideo_Te

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,090
    That is why I admire your restraint. Your patience seems limitless. :)

9. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,709
    This is partly what the movie Tootsie was all about. But, it's late where I am and I still have homework to do. I'll get back to you in less than 24 hours, most likely. Good thread!

10. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,019
    I'd just go with "consider the source," but you're a good friend, and so here I am.

Mansplaining, without me hitting Google and as I understand it, is when men give their perspective on women's issues. It's why I don't stay with the abortion threads until they expel their last breath. It's ridiculous that a bunch of men are trying to explain why the only logical answer is that the woman either never have sex again, or sign up for that 18 year sentence that just got dropped on her head.

Now, if they understand the concept of women's rights, welcome aboard and pass the ammunition. But if they think that they should be able to dictate ... and etc.You've seen my argument, I don't need to lay the whole thing out here.

As to the being treated as less than by virtue of genitals? Most of the time it's laughable. Some of the time, it's irritating. But when I start publishing, I have a decision to make - and I'm sure everybody knows why J.K. Rowling went with the initials.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3