Calling all parents

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Said1, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I have two neighbours with toddlers the same age. Both parents brought their kids over to my house so they could play in the water and with the water guns in the huge bucket I filled with water for my child, and the four other children I babysit.

After several minutes, one parent asked where I had bought so many guns and wanted to buy his son the same package. The other asked if I had something else her son could play with because guns are violent and children shouldn't play with guuns regardless of the nature of the game/play (both babies are about 18 months old). Then she went on to say that you should start restricting their exposure to violence as young as possible so they will not become de-sensitized to violence and become violent as they grow up. I laughed in her face. She picked up her son in a huff and left. Both myself and the other parent went on to laugh at her for quite some time. :finger3:

I think kids should be allowed to play with water guns. Any thoughts, opinions? :D

2. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79

I had the same theory when my boy's were younger, until I discovered they were finding other toy's and pretending they were guns, there went that theory out the window!!

3. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

Setting some rules pertaining to what is and isn't acceptable is important, but you're right, they almost become obsessed with guns. They'll l eat their toast into the shape of a gun if they have to!

I don't have any other toy guns aside from water guns, this is because they don't pick them at the toy store. They are allowed to, they just don't. I will say this though, despite the lack of toy guns, they build some neat ones with mega lego! And why do they always shoot me? :shocked:

4. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think she's got a valid point, in that kids become too desensitized far too early due to the nature of the toys they play with, and what they see on TV (even in cartoons) - I wouldn't have laughed in her face, and think that's exceptionally rude and catty given that you're BOTH parents, and obviously want what's best for your kids, regardless of your differences in opinion..

However, explaining things to kids in detail (this particular gun is a toy for ..blah blah blah, BUT...blah blah blah..) goes a long way in dictating their behavior with such toys.

5. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Sure she has a valid point, and she also didn't take into account our parenting skills, and extensive experience with things of that nature. If she was that concerned, she should have stayed in her own 'watergun free" yard, instead of coming over, univited and snubbing the toys I had out for the OLDER children. I'm not responsible for her son's playtime. :boohoo:

6. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Gabriella84 is your neighbor?

7. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You left out the part wherein she came over uninvited.. *THAT* was rude, and I'd probably have said something to her about that as well.

8. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

My bad, forgotten detail. I'm actually VERY surprised she came over and mingled with the peasents in the first place.

9. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    LOL
    Said1. I'm so glad you laughed in that stupid bitch's face.

10. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Under the right circumstances, I would agree, but not in this case.
    Oh well, New Mother Syndrom, she'll get over it all parents do eventually.