Calling all parents

-=d=- said:
I can't prove it, but I'd bet money Kids are more likely to die as the result of being in a CAR than they would be as the victims of gun violence. We let our kids play with toy cars all the time. I could show you the SERIOUS un-safe manuevers my son pulls whilst playing with his hotwheels.

You better have a talk with that boy, pronto! Or better, just take his cars away. Safety first, eh? :D

When I was about 9, me and my friends would dress up like army guys and have "wars" with BB guns! Yes, they HURT like hell when they hit ya! We had rules though... no pellet guns and you had to shoot from a pretty good distance. When I think of it now I think how dangerous that was! We're lucky nobody got an eye shot out. Man, kids can do some crazy stuff huh?!

no1tovote4 said:
I remember a friend who bought "gender nuetral" toys for her kids. The little girl pretended her blocks were babies, the little boy would make anything at all into "guns" and shoot. They finally gave up.

I've had two parents who were fussy about the toys their boys played with. I simply tell them that everyone plays with everything here. The girls play with the Hulk and Spiderman, while the boys use barbies in their games too. It's funny, but when the boys incorporate barbies into their play they either a) pretend to kidnap the barbie or b)save the barbie. The girls to the exact same thing. :D

Said1 said:
I have two neighbours with toddlers the same age. Both parents brought their kids over to my house so they could play in the water and with the water guns in the huge bucket I filled with water for my child, and the four other children I babysit.

After several minutes, one parent asked where I had bought so many guns and wanted to buy his son the same package. The other asked if I had something else her son could play with because guns are violent and children shouldn't play with guuns regardless of the nature of the game/play (both babies are about 18 months old). Then she went on to say that you should start restricting their exposure to violence as young as possible so they will not become de-sensitized to violence and become violent as they grow up. I laughed in her face. She picked up her son in a huff and left. Both myself and the other parent went on to laugh at her for quite some time. :finger3:

I think kids should be allowed to play with water guns. Any thoughts, opinions? :D

I have never owned a gun, and have never wanted to, or to shoot anyone, stab anyone, run over anyone, etc. (I have wanted to punch a few people, a very few people, in the nose, but have always gotten over it)

This in spite of the fact that from the ages of about 9-12 me and several of my friends enjoyed playing stalk and ambush war games with toy guns. It was fun! And it did not turn anyone into a homicidal maniac, either.

I do not think people are "desensitized" to violence except by actual violence itself, and that mere play with toy weapons is utterly harmless.

The woman who left with her son in a huff is a twit.

-=d=- said:
I can't prove it, but I'd bet money Kids are more likely to die as the result of being in a CAR than they would be as the victims of gun violence. We let our kids play with toy cars all the time. I could show you the SERIOUS un-safe manuevers my son pulls whilst playing with his hotwheels.

Wait until he gets a hold of that RC RX8 you are going to buy him.

Forum List

Back