calling all gardeners

im not actually a big fan of strawberries but I want something that I can yield a lot from and then ferment the shit out of and I can't think of any other berry or vine fruit...

Apples!

If you lived nearby, Sho I could give you a couple hundred pounds of Gooseberries, too.

I grow far more fruit Pears, apples, gooseberries, than I can ever use.

Fermentation basically only requires natural sugars.

And of course there's always potatoes, too.

Huge yields, not a whole lotta work, and you can keep the pests off using stuff that won't poison your ground, too.

im not actually a big fan of strawberries but I want something that I can yield a lot from and then ferment the shit out of and I can't think of any other berry or vine fruit...

Apples!

If you lived nearby, Sho I could give you a couple hundred pounds of Gooseberries, too.

I grow far more fruit Pears, apples, gooseberries, than I can ever use.

Fermentation basically only requires natural sugars.

And of course there's always potatoes, too.

Huge yields, not a whole lotta work, and you can keep the pests off using stuff that won't poison your ground, too.

if only, dude.. I would start a fucking production line. right now I have apple and dark cherry juice on the ferment. Almost ready for it's third racking.

Have you ever tried your hand at fermenting with all that potential stock?

we have apples and peaches....dont ask me why we have peaches...black arkansas and granny smith apples..then heirloom trees that we are trying to bring back....i guess stray trees is a better term. i got to go walk the mutts...i have 10 friggin acres but suddenly man wants to take the friggin mutts for a walk...he is not the one trying to control the 100 lb killer doberman.....on the said walk

I just planted two roses in the orchard this weekend. I grow grapes of many varieties, apples, pears and apricots.

I just keep a small vegetable garden. The orchard is fenced, otherwise the deer eat everything.

so far the deer arent taking over here...i dont know if the dogs just discourage them or what...a lot of stuff can be grown with hydroponics....not just for smoke anymore

what do you grow and how much? do you put food up for the winter,,,if so what...and how?

i have seen where seed shops are running out of seeds...we have already gotten ours...seed potatoes...16.95 for a 50 lb bag...cheapest price around

Does it have to live to qualify one as a "gardener"?:eusa_whistle:

naaa--- you can just say " it lived exactly as long as I planned it to " :lol:

o dead gardens ....i understand and empathize with ya

does the upside down tomato tree work manu? i have seen it on tv but never got one...

we are planning a big garden this year....

Last year I planted 4 diff kinds of tomatoes,bell peppers,two kinds of squash,cucumbers,beets and watermelon. The only things that did well were the squash and beets(both were yummy). This year I'll try the tomatoes again,I did see that topsy turvy thing on TV and almost bought it. I might do it now,that i see upside down tomato growing could work.

Tried planting three Rose bushes last year... all died. I'm hoping to try again,but it's looking like I don't have a green thumb for those. My tulips and Iris are starting to come up,so all is not lost yet. Last year the sunflowers did well also.

I would LOVE to grow some tomatoes and maybe some carrots this spring/summer.

I need some advice. I live in a condo, don't have a lot of planting area, but have a little bit. Have a patio.

What would be my best options? I mainly am interested in the tomatoes, there is NOTHING better than home grown tomatoes.

Thanks.

I grow some tomato's each year in 5 gal. buckets or large pots. I prefer the vines over the bush type and I run them up and tied to a trellis.

As long as you have some sun on your patio you can grow more than you'd think.
I bought the square foot gardening book years ago and am setting up tables outdoors so I can wheel to them.
I was going to start this weekend but haven't got the check that was mailed from 45 miles away, 8 days ago, Damnit.:evil:
Check out their new site and forums,and you'll be growing on the patio in no time.
Welcome To My Garden! | Square Foot Gardening

just bought the first of this years plants. A giant Red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper.. and, instead of tomatoes this year I am planting a raspberry and blackberry bush.

heads up shogun...some of that stuff has to be cross pollinated...so you gotta have two plants....i started my herbs today....have red pepper plants..but its suppose to be cold later ...so anything we plant we have to cover...

i dont think a blueberry bush can be a "container" plant...due to their rooting system....the roots are shallow and need to spread out around the plant for several feet....they run towards the surface and not deep....therefore you would need a rather large..diameter wise container...not so deep but hugely round....circumfirance or something

i got two bundles of june bearing strawberries today...and two grapes..one a concord for juice the other a blush eating grape....no herbs :evil: i am looking for thyme..its is my favorite..i just like to grow it....i only have two kinds right now and i am on the look out for more...

so far i have the tyme..rosemary....chives..organo and sage....o and tarragon

but it is early yet

Is it time for me to buy tomato plants yet? They said we may get SNOW tomorrow here in Indiana................... :evil:

just bought the first of this years plants. A giant Red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper.. and, instead of tomatoes this year I am planting a raspberry and blackberry bush.

Pffft ... None of you motherfuckers can dig like a Marine ....:eusa_hand:

Last year I dug a hole (wet clay dirt below the surface)5 feet deep and 5 feet in diameter. why? It's a dry well of course...added the rock, plastic 50 gallon drum, and laid the pipe from well water backwash to there.

Oh I'm 5ft 4" and my weight at the time was 102 pounds. It took me about 5 hours.

arrrrrrrrrrrarrrrrrrrarrrrrrr

Forum List

Back