California teacher who lectured students on whether it's free speech

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
when schools host one sort of walkout..and forbid another...

was sent home PRIOR to yesterday's nationwide #enough school walkout.

BTW, #enough is planning another nationwide walkout for gun control next month.

"“And so I just kind of used the example, which I know it’s really controversial, but I know it was the best example I thought of at the time — a group of students nationwide, or even locally, decided ‘I want to walk out of school for 17 minutes’ and go in the quad area and protest abortion, would that be allowed by our administration?” Benzel asked."

“I feel like if we were to go to school and say something like I want to walk out maybe for abortion rights, then you know they probably wouldn’t let us because that’s more of a conservative push,” Wade told KOVR. “But someone wants to say let’s walk out for gun control then the school’s going to go with it because it’s more of a popular view.”

What was the school’s statement?
"A Rocklin High School spokesperson issued a statement: “A Rocklin High School teacher has been placed on paid administrative leave due to several complaints from parents and students involving the teacher’s communications regarding today’s student-led civic engagement activities.”

California teacher sent home after questioning double standard on school gun control protests

ENOUGH: National School Walkout

I don't think schools across the country should sanction student led civic engagement activities. I might be more sympathetic to the kids at the school in Florida. Everybody else, you skip school, you get detention. You want to protest? Do it on your time. (Remember kids, stay in school and stay off drugs!)

Too early to tell what exactly transpired between the teacher and the student based on few report I've just read.

I don't think schools across the country should sanction student led civic engagement activities. I might be more sympathetic to the kids at the school in Florida. Everybody else, you skip school, you get detention. You want to protest? Do it on your time. (Remember kids, stay in school and stay off drugs!)

Too early to tell what exactly transpired between the teacher and the student based on few report I've just read.
she basically explained to the kids that if they were allowed to leave school for this event, then the school would need to allow/ honor any other students the right to leave school grounds on any other organized event like a pro-life rally. Once a precedence is set, then to be consistent that would have to be allowed.

Would they allow students to walk out in support of re-electing president Trump? How about to support lowering school property taxes? Abolishing public unions? Repealing Obamacare?

Would they allow students to walk out in support of re-electing president Trump? How about to support lowering school property taxes? Abolishing public unions? Repealing Obamacare?

Curtis Rhodes, Superintendent of Needville Independent School District, stated in a letter posted to Facebook and reportedly sent home to students on Tuesday that while the school district “is very sensitive to violence in schools including the recent incident in Florida,” the district “will not allow a student demonstration during school hours for any type of protest or awareness!!”

Texas school district threatens to suspend students who protest gun violence during school hours

Most of the Big Cities Districts are on Spring Break so it's not much of an issue here. Needville doesn't surprise me at all.

Forum List

Back