California Senate passes gun database checks bill

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago

Let the paranoid nutter rants begin.

Not one of you a-holes can explain why this is wrong.

The bill requires law enforcement to search the California Department of Justice’s Automated Firearms System database prior to conducting welfare checks on individuals to find out if they own a gun. Exceptions are made for “exigent” circumstances.

Yeah, cops going to check on the welfare of a mentally unstable person should be able to check a database to see if he owns firearms.

The bill requires law enforcement to search the California Department of Justice’s Automated Firearms System database prior to conducting welfare checks on individuals to find out if they own a gun. Exceptions are made for “exigent” circumstances.

Yeah, cops going to check on the welfare of a mentally unstable person should be able to check a database to see if he owns firearms.

When does it require them to make such a check?

Who defines: mentally unstable?

Some here would define mentally unstable as wanting to own a gun in the first place.

Sure I can. Owning a gun is fundamental right and the government has no need nor any business knowing who is exercising it.
unless there is a good reason.....in my opinion...

Quite true Harry, may I call you Harry? But the Second Amendment doesn't allow for "regulations if they are made for good reason"

However, IMO the 2nd also doesn't apply to states so.................

I would however be very interested to know the OP's stance on Voter ID. I have a feeling I already know though.

Anyone who would register a weapon with a State deserves what ever happens. They elect the loons, so there is no one to blame but themselves if their privacy is violated.

What are "welfare checks" and how do they conduct them?

For instance, a report of possible child abuse..........

or a domestic disturbance call

Actually no, a welfare check is conducted if a person doesn't show up for work for a couple of days and lives alone or neighbors call because a person hasn't been seen in a way that is out of the ordinary. The police will stop in to check on them.

Actually no, a welfare check is conducted if a person doesn't show up for work for a couple of days and lives alone or neighbors call because a person hasn't been seen in a way that is out of the ordinary. The police will stop in to check on them.

Actually it could be either , or so I fail to see why you felt the need to correct me

Welfare Checks and the "Emergency Aid" Doctrine: Checking for victims in a residence upon a "reasonable belief" that someone inside a residence is in need of aid, or that there is an imminent threat to the life or welfare of someone inside, an immediate, justifies a warrantless entry. (People v. Ray (1999) 21 Cal.4th 464; Tamborino v. Superior Court (1986) 41 Cal.3rd 919; People v. Ammons (1980) 103 Cal.App.3rd 20.)

Welcome to Legal Update

I truly am smarter than you, keep that in mind in the future

Oh I get it.. So anyone who supports the second amendment is an asshole.
Do you not see how you've become the people that you hate? Closed minded and arrogant in the belief that your way is the ONLY way?
You are pitiful.

Actually it could be either , or so I fail to see why you felt the need to correct me

Welfare Checks and the "Emergency Aid" Doctrine: Checking for victims in a residence upon a "reasonable belief" that someone inside a residence is in need of aid, or that there is an imminent threat to the life or welfare of someone inside, an immediate, justifies a warrantless entry. (People v. Ray (1999) 21 Cal.4th 464; Tamborino v. Superior Court (1986) 41 Cal.3rd 919; People v. Ammons (1980) 103 Cal.App.3rd 20.)

Welcome to Legal Update

Because domestic violence and child abuse calls are normally categorized differently.

Who defines: mentally unstable?

Some here would define mentally unstable as wanting to own a gun in the first place.
That is the conundrum that leaves liberals stuck in their own hypocrisy.
They want to severely restrict the ownership of guns, but when it comes to addressing the issue of the mentally unstable who are the people that commit mass killings, its a different story.
The want to get to the gun owners by using the mentally ill approach but there are fellow libs who view this as a slippery slope. They fear that ALL with psychological problems will be stigmatized.

Welcome to Legal Update

Because domestic violence and child abuse calls are categorized differently.

What are you talking about? A domestic disturbance call is absolutely a welfare check. Read the definition I just supplied you right from the state law.

So, neighbors hear fighting , call the cops, the cops perform a welfare check to make sure everyone is alright, and that MAY turn into an arrest for domestic disturbance.

How silly to argue over something so obvious. Is your life that empty? Fine, I'll give you "the win" if you need it so badly.

Sure I can. Owning a gun is fundamental right and the government has no need nor any business knowing who is exercising it.

Fuck you you fucking jerk. LE, social workers, truant officers, health care workers,EMT's and many others have a right to protect themselves.

Assholes like you believe untrained, UN vetted citizens have the right to carry firearms, no matter how fucked up they are.

Fuck you you fucking jerk. LE, social workers, truant officers, health care workers,EMT's and many others have a right to protect themselves.

Assholes like you believe untrained, UN fitted, citizens have the right to carry firearms, no matter how fucked up they are.

By the strictest interpretation, and if we believe states are bound by the COTUS, then there can legally be NO restrictions on gun ownership.

See, this is what annoys me about American idiots. They want the COTUS upheld, until they no longer want it upheld.

The original mistake was incorporating the Constitution so that states were bound to it. That was NOT the original intent which is EASILY provable by the fact that several of the states had both official religions and restrictions on gun laws at the time that they ratified the COTUS.

To ANY thinking person that should say "hey the founders didn't mean for the BoR to apply to states except where SPECIFICALLY stated"

In a world of litigation, think of it as the state of Ca. protecting its own ass from a law suit by the hard working emergency service or social service people who are injured in the performance of their duties. "Why didn't you check the data base before you got shot while trying to save a mentally disturbed person? Thanks to the slick Ca. politicians he legal burden is now on the emergency service or social service personnel to search the data base before they respond to a call and screw you if you fail to do it and get hurt. Imagine how this bill is going to impact the response time to medical emergencies.

Forum List

Back