California Court: You Can Sue Companies for Not Inventing New Products

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
And in this case it's a medical drug. A drug company has been sued for not coming up with and getting FDA approval for an improved HIV drug. Which takes about a decade and hundreds of millions of dollars to do.

In 2001 Gilead came up with and got FDA approval for a life saving HIV drug.

Wonder why medical costs are so high?

Wonder why no one bothers to innovate?

Leftardism in full glory.

I wonder if it has more to do with shareholders being able to sue companies that hawk a product to investors but it never comes to fruition?

It would seem to me that it's just a part of the risk of investing.

LOL.....A bunch of politicians must have invested in the company!

After reading the article again it appears to be the HIV crowd that's sueing. WTF?

Last edited:
And in this case it's a medical drug. A drug company has been sued for not coming up with and getting FDA approval for an improved HIV drug. Which takes about a decade and hundreds of millions of dollars to do.

Weirder by the second.

Ok, my first question is. Who invested in a company that isn't getting the payout they expected?

The only reason this is happening is because of money.

These people are loony tunes. They also wanted to sue car companies for making catalytic converters too easy to steal. It's against the law to entice criminals to be criminals.

I'm a big proponent of keeping an eye on what big companies do because they are full of people at the top who are untrustworthy. But this is over the top.

Ok, my first question is. Who invested in a company that isn't getting the payout they expected?

The only reason this is happening is because of money.
California did this with stem cells too

Lofty promises, limited results
After 14 years and $3 billion, has California's bet on stem cells paid off?
By Erin Allday and Joaquin Palomino
Sept. 6, 2018

Only in a way can I understand this especially when it comes to medical matters, but sadly certain things do have a way of not coming to mind as soon as we wish they did.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Trust me, I hate it too.

I honestly thought this would be one of those clickbait headlines that don’t match the story that I complained about on the feedback threads. But no. What the OP said happened really happened. The California nuts and fruits actually allowed this to be a lawsuit. This from the story is spot on:

The ruling creates a new potential revenue stream for plaintiff law firms, which may soon be the only businesses still welcome in California. They can find a product that improves on a previous version, then sue the company for not introducing it sooner. Software, phone, car and medical-device manufacturers—the universe of potential defendants is endless.

The companies will be forced to take every frivolous lawsuit of this type seriously, and to spend lots of lawyer fees defending it - costs to be passed on to people who need medications, or taken out of research and development funds. Likely, they will quietly settle, enriching the lawyer much more than the so-called “victims” of course. But not settling means risking a nearly unlimited settlement after having to turn over all of their internal records to hostile attorneys eager to leak any information that they can put a negative spin on.

If that had rushed the new drug to market, then of course they would have been sued for that also, by plaintiffs who may or may not have suffered any actual harm from the rushed product. They would be excoriated for their greed in moving a product to market too soon.

I don’t know who is best an able to judge how long it should take any new medication to be ready for mass market. But I’d bet on the research scientists knowing that, before I’d bet on trial lawyers for the right answer.

Forum List

Back