Calif. court: Medical pot not OK at work

Heck even the breathalyzer isn't proven science. A court just put all that into question.

No it did not. It decertified a specific lab because they did not properly maintain, certify and control their equipment. That would be WHY the court said once certification is restored and the lab establishes real quality control and testing the results can again be used.

No it did not. It decertified a specific lab because they did not properly maintain, certify and control their equipment. That would be WHY the court said once certification is restored and the lab establishes real quality control and testing the results can again be used.

TY. Sorry about that.

This is why we need a test to determine inebriation rather than use.

And, it could be taxed easier than shit. Sure, many will grow their own plants BUT would they do so if getting busted with untaxed pot, simlar to untaxed cigarettes, would remove the liberty of consuming legal pot? Hell, I'd use legalized pot use as positive reinforcement to lower OTHER criminal behaviour. Im betting that many peeps would make a concerted effort to protect their status to legally consume pot IF the authorization to do so was removed in the case of any list of applicable criminal action: including growing a plant.

I suppose that would be tough, considering THC is only fat-soluble, and therefore remains in the system for a while. Alcohol has a, what, 12 hour half-life, so to speak? And it's water-soluble. If there's X-amount of alcohol present in your system, it means you've recently drank and are of course inebriated.

People who smoke a lot of weed, would show high levels as opposed to one who only smokes occassionally, but both at any given time could be completely sober. How would you be able to test for THC usage down to the mere hour?

There's got to be something in the body that raises it's levels significantly when under the immediate influence of marijuana, that could be tested. Dopamine, maybe?

I'm sure there's a way. I doubt this is the real reason why it's illegal, too.

I say it's because of Hemp. Hemp threatens MULTIPLE established industries in this country, including fuel/petroleum/petrochemical, textile/cotton, etc.

Hemp production remains illegal, even though it doesn't contain enough THC to even register on the chart, let alone impair a person. That much is obvious if you've ever tried to smoke leftover stems for a buzz when your out of bud.

The not being able to tax it argument is so beaten, it's not even funny. It's no different than tobacco.

Im certainly no doctor... but i'd be curious to see if a breathalyser could developed to test for traces of THC. Maybe create a test for saliva...

“Our research shows that the applications for the LifePoint™ Test System can be extended into emergency situations where timely and accurate information is cost-effective and can significantly impact treatment decisions,” stated Dr.Foley. “The use of saliva to provide immediate results on potential overdose situations is receiving significant attention from emergency medicine field. Currently, methods for testing blood levels cannot provide timely results, and the currently available rapid urine tests do not provide relevant “blood-equivalent” results.”

http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/2000/C/200002561.html

ps..

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm

Im certainly no doctor... but i'd be curious to see if a breathalyser could developed to test for traces of THC. Maybe create a test for saliva...

“Our research shows that the applications for the LifePoint™ Test System can be extended into emergency situations where timely and accurate information is cost-effective and can significantly impact treatment decisions,” stated Dr.Foley. “The use of saliva to provide immediate results on potential overdose situations is receiving significant attention from emergency medicine field. Currently, methods for testing blood levels cannot provide timely results, and the currently available rapid urine tests do not provide relevant “blood-equivalent” results.”

http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/2000/C/200002561.html

ps..

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm

My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 1992. At the time of discovery, and subsequent diagnosis, his body was so plagued with cancer that he was given 6 months TOTAL to live. He ended up living for 2 more years.

He was a habitual marijuana smoker, and his Oncologist suggested to him, off the record of course, to continue his pot usage. It helped him eat, it calmed him down, kept him from becoming extremely angry, and lenghtened his life a little more.

So it doesn't CURE the disease...so what...I got an extra year and a half to spend with my dad that I didn't think I'd get, before he died. I'll FOREVER be a proponent of medicinal marijuana.

Alright I'll get sucked into this thing..........................my first statement may seem a bit weird......................but PLEASE consider it.

Do all of you realize that cannabis is absolutely the most important plant on earth HANDS DOWN...................beyond all the buzzle qualities................and our nation was founded on this plant by the fathers of our country and it was a taxed commodity in this country and should be again????

http://www.topix.com/news/weird/2007/12/declaration-of-independence-written-on-marijuana-paper

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_247-248/ai_113807045/pg_15

http://www.digitalhemp.com/hemp/html/emp/02/ech02_02.htm

http://mojo.calyx.net/~olsen/HEMP/IHA/iha03101.html

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309065313

http://www.hemp4fuel.com/

http://www.puredelighthemp.com.au/index.php?page=manyUsesOfHemp

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/fact1_10.htm

Does anyone need more examples of how versitle this plant is because there are many more examples.........................can you see industry recreated cleanly......................and we worry about someone getting high..........................so the doctors and pharmecutical companies can drug them into the corner, INCLUDING OUR CHILDREN................hemp will rebuild everything, including reenergize our family farms, so everything from bottom to top gets strengthened because it would be hard to grow enough for all of it's uses.........

I don't want to to share the roads with folks high on pot. I don't want my surgeon or my bus driver or cab driver or airline pilot or dentist etc. to be high on pot. Until there is an easy and efficient way to test for impairment, I don't want pot legalized for recreational use or ever be deemed so harmless that employers won't be allowed to enforce zero tolerance policies.

I don't have a problem with medical marijuana for people who need it to ease suffering but I think drivers' licenses etc. should be suspended while the person is using the stuff.

And as for any health benefits, the negatives I think outweight the positives for healthy people:

Marijuana Smokers Face Rapid Lung Destruction -- As Much As 20 Years Ahead Of Tobacco Smokers
ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2008) —— A new study finds that the development of bullous lung disease occurs in marijuana smokers approximately 20 years earlier than tobacco smokers.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080123104017.htm

My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 1992. At the time of discovery, and subsequent diagnosis, his body was so plagued with cancer that he was given 6 months TOTAL to live. He ended up living for 2 more years.

He was a habitual marijuana smoker, and his Oncologist suggested to him, off the record of course, to continue his pot usage. It helped him eat, it calmed him down, kept him from becoming extremely angry, and lenghtened his life a little more.

So it doesn't CURE the disease...so what...I got an extra year and a half to spend with my dad that I didn't think I'd get, before he died. I'll FOREVER be a proponent of medicinal marijuana.

im sorry for your loss. I believe that Alan ginsberg shared a similar use of pot after his diagnosis with cancer too.

I don't want to to share the roads with folks high on pot. I don't want my surgeon or my bus driver or cab driver or airline pilot or dentist etc. to be high on pot. Until there is an easy and efficient way to test for impairment, I don't want pot legalized for recreational use or ever be deemed so harmless that employers won't be allowed to enforce zero tolerance policies.

I don't have a problem with medical marijuana for people who need it to ease suffering but I think drivers' licenses etc. should be suspended while the person is using the stuff.

And as for any health benefits, the negatives I think outweight the positives for healthy people:

Marijuana Smokers Face Rapid Lung Destruction -- As Much As 20 Years Ahead Of Tobacco Smokers
ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2008) —— A new study finds that the development of bullous lung disease occurs in marijuana smokers approximately 20 years earlier than tobacco smokers.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080123104017.htm

AND YET TOBACCO IS LEGAL.

I don't want to share the road with drunk drivers, those who abuse pharmies and people with cellphones either but, alas, liberty seems to be more valuable than individual opinions based on illogical traditions than fact.

Driving while intoxicated on anything is bad. No one wants that. But, if you think the criminal nature of pot keeps people from smoking and driving then it must blow your mind that we still deal with drunk driving every year despite the criminal nature of such behavour.

I don't want to to share the roads with folks high on pot.

As opposed to being drunk off their butts? Inebriation while driving should lead to prosecution. Getting drunk or high in one's home .... shouldn't.

I don't want my surgeon or my bus driver or cab driver or airline pilot or dentist etc. to be high on pot.

As opposed to them having a three-martini lunch or popping oxycontin?

Until there is an easy and efficient way to test for impairment, I don't want pot legalized for recreational use or ever be deemed so harmless that employers won't be allowed to enforce zero tolerance policies.

What tests for inebriation exist with respect to abuse of pharmaceuticals? That's not a good enough reason to keep something illegal.

Somehow I suspect that crimes committed with guns wouldn't be enough to make you pro gun control, would it?

Guys, I don't want to share the roads, etc. with ANYBODY who is high on anything, is impaired from any influence, or distracted by anything. The problem with pot however is that it stays in the body for so long, there is no good way to observe or test whether a person is competent to be driving or doing brain surgery or whatever. You can observe a driver illegally using a cell phone and arrest him. If somebody blows more than the legal limit for alcohol, you know he's over the limit. Tobacco kills people but there is no evidence that it makes people drowsy or impairs judgment or affect reaction time. Pot can do all three to anybody.

Until there is some way to ensure what is and is not responsible use of pot, I think most people will want it to remain illegal for general use.

You do know that people don't stay high for as long as the THC stays in the bloodstream, right?

So can I take it you're pro gun control because someone might use a gun in a dangerous manner? Personally, I don't want to be on the road with someone with a gun and road rage.

Or should we have psychological profiling so we make sure that people who get road rage aren't allowed to drive at all? I don't want to be on the road with them either.

We all agree that NONE of us want inebriation on the highway.

However, and I'm hoping that I misread your post, THC in the body for 30 days does NOT insinuate inebriation. Neither haev we made sure that everyone is going to be responsible when killing off prohibition. I've posted articles about field tests for pot. Are you going to tell me what kind of field test there is for Oxicontin? Like I said, keeping pot illegal doesn't keep people from driving inebriated. period. Anymore than prohibition stopped people from drinking.

and I think you are wrong. I think that the tide is turning and pot will be decriminalized in my lifetime. If you are going to be strict about pot at least be consistant with alcohol.

We all agree that NONE of us want inebriation on the highway.

However, and I'm hoping that I misread your post, THC in the body for 30 days does NOT insinuate inebriation. Neither haev we made sure that everyone is going to be responsible when killing off prohibition. I've posted articles about field tests for pot. Are you going to tell me what kind of field test there is for Oxicontin? Like I said, keeping pot illegal doesn't keep people from driving inebriated. period. Anymore than prohibition stopped people from drinking.

and I think you are wrong. I think that the tide is turning and pot will be decriminalized in my lifetime. If you are going to be strict about pot at least be consistant with alcohol.

When you say decriminalized, do you mean LEGAL, or like CA and CO do, where up to a certain small amount is only considered a petty offense?

AND STILL IT'S ALL ABOUT GETTING HIGH OR NOT........................with growing minions on psychotrobic meds and pain killers and drinking INCLUDING OUR KIDS.......................I think a very dangerous afinity for small mindedness to the extreme is being displayed........and this is an educated society...............you do realize that there are types of hemp that don't get you high??????????:rolleyes: :eusa_whistle:

When you say decriminalized, do you mean LEGAL, or like CA and CO do, where up to a certain small amount is only considered a petty offense?

I mean legally regulated like alcohol among various states according to their prerogative. Last year my city voted in an ordinance making just over an oz amount to a ticket. thats progress.

I mean legally regulated like alcohol among various states according to their prerogative. Last year my city voted in an ordinance making just over an oz amount to a ticket. thats progress.

Yeah, but they still confiscate it though, right?

I lived in Steamboat Springs, CO for a while, and it's the same way there. A buddy of mine got pulled over and got a ticket for having a half ounce. They confiscate it though. That town is crazy. Weed is worth more than money there.

oh yea.. it gets confiscated.. but i'll take that and a municipal fine over being treated like a fucking crack dealer anyday.

Forum List

Back