Calfornia Proposes "Exit Tax." That's right, you have to pay California to leave California.

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas

Understanding the California Exit Tax​

Californians (or ex-Californians) making a certain amount of money who leave the state could soon find themselves paying a small portion of taxes to California, regardless of whether they live there anymore. This proposed “Exit Tax” is part of the California wealth tax proposal wherein new rules are established for those individuals or businesses with over $30 million in assets for a tax year.

Understanding What the California Exit Tax Is

The California Exit Tax proposes that if you or your business have been a full-time resident of the state of California and you make $30 million per year (or $15,000,000 if a married taxpayer is filing separately from their spouse), any money that you make from business, income or investments made in the state would be taxed at a rate of 0.4%. This is a one-time tax that is paid upon leaving California.

What, they didn't already tax the money as it was being made? Now you also have to pay to leave?

I guess it's like a divorce: They're expensive because they are worth it. If you've got money in Cali, the time to leave is now. They will take it from you to give it to homeless displaced by migrants, and to transgender clinics.

How will they enforce it if the person has left? They aren't the federal government.
The tax is on income generated in California for the first year after you leave. It really isn't any harder to enforce than any other state income tax debt. The real question is how are they going to be able to determine what income is really subject to the tax if say an actor moves out of the state then has income on a movie from a studio based in NY filmed in Europe but was released in California?

Maybe they will build a physical barrier to keep people in, as their ideological fellows in the old Soviet Union did.
Another Simpsons prediction come true -

th-3326129924.jpg

California has a net loss of high and medium income earners

Enough so that the state lost one congressional seat in washington

It has a $30 billion budget deficit

People with money are being replaced by penniless illegal aliens, drug addicts living on the street and welfare bums

None of whom pay taxes

Way to go libs

This is your screwup

They already impose a steep exit tax. They will impose their state tax on all of your income, with no deductions allowed, for the year you leave, regardless of what percentage of the year's income was earned in California; if you worked the first week in January and worked the rest of the year in another state, you will pay them taxes on all of it. They base your tax on the 1040 income line before and deductions are taken on the Federal form.

California has a net loss of high and medium income earners

Enough so that the state lost one congressional seat in washington

It has a $30 billion budget deficit

People with money are being replaced by penniless illegal aliens, drug addicts living on the street and welfare bums

None of whom pay taxes

Way to go libs

This is your screwup

I don't see how a state can tax someone who hasn't lived there for the whole year. I can see partial year residency taxes but once that's done it's done, not 10 years.

They already impose a steep exit tax. They will impose their state tax on all of your income, with no deductions allowed, for the year you leave, regardless of what percentage of the year's income was earned in California; if you worked the first week in January and worked the rest of the year in another state, you will pay them taxes on all of it. They base your tax on the 1040 income line before and deductions are taken on the Federal form.
Do you have a link to this?
I'm not denying you are right, I just don't know where to look apparently.

I don't see how a state can tax someone who hasn't lived there for the whole year. I can see partial year residency taxes but once that's done it's done, not 10 years.
This is not a regular tax that residents have to pay

Its a tax of the whole wealth of the person leaving the state

And it can be imposed annually for 10 years after leaving california

This is not a regular tax that residents have to pay

Its a tax of the whole wealth of the person leaving the state

And it can be imposed annually for 10 years after leaving california
I very much doubt it. It would never fly in court.

Back in the mid 90s as a Florida residence I worked for three months in Irvine California on an Engineering proposal. My paycheck came out of Florida.

I got a letter from the California government telling me that I owed them state income tax for the three months I worked there.

I sent a nasty letter back telling them to go screw themselves.

Never heard back from them.

Forum List

Back