Cacka-Tee-Oh!!!

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
I was just at an early Christmas Dinner with friends who have longstanding ties to Spain, namely to lots of friends in Catalan (Catalonia).

In that part of Spain, there is a fascinating Christmas tradition unlike anything I have ever seen before.

It is called: Caga Tio (pronounced in English: "Cacka-tee-oh!"), and it literally means "pooping log". No kidding.

It is a log with a face painted (or decorated) on one end and the opening on the other is covered with some kind of cloth. You can buy them commercially, but many families still make them by hand. How you make the face is a matter of taste, but it is usually a funny face. The log does not need to be hollow, but some families even hollow it out.

For two full weeks before Christmas, kids are supposed to "feed" the log with lots of fruits.

Then, at Christmas, after the log has "digested" all that fruit, kids bang on the log with a stick and presents start to pop out of the other end - the end of the "digestion", so to speak.

Here is a cartoon picture of it:

caga-tio-animation.jpg

And here is a really wonderful blog entry about a family, showing a little more of the process:

Miquel Andrés Muñoz Broder: My First Caga Tio

DSC_3120.JPG

DSC_3138.JPG

DSC_3131.JPG

Here is another good description:

Introducing the Caga Tio < Arts & Culture | Expatica Spain

"For two weeks, you feed and care for the Caga Tio till he is all grown-up. Come Christmas Day, you make him &#8216;poop&#8217; by beating him with sticks and singing various songs."

Cagatio1T.jpg

I just saw a cute little child having the time of his life doing this. Wow, what a cool and creative world in which we live!

:thup:

I was just at an early Christmas Dinner with friends who have longstanding ties to Spain, namely to lots of friends in Catalan (Catalonia).

In that part of Spain, there is a fascinating Christmas tradition unlike anything I have ever seen before.

It is called: Caga Tio (pronounced in English: "Cacka-tee-oh!"), and it literally means "pooping log". No kidding.

It is a log with a face painted (or decorated) on one end and the opening on the other is covered with some kind of cloth. You can buy them commercially, but many families still make them by hand. How you make the face is a matter of taste, but it is usually a funny face. The log does not need to be hollow, but some families even hollow it out.

For two full weeks before Christmas, kids are supposed to "feed" the log with lots of fruits.

Then, at Christmas, after the log has "digested" all that fruit, kids bang on the log with a stick and presents start to pop out of the other end - the end of the "digestion", so to speak.

caga-tio-animation.jpg

And here is a really wonderful blog entry about a family, showing a little more of the process:

DSC_3120.JPG

DSC_3138.JPG

DSC_3131.JPG

"For two weeks, you feed and care for the Caga Tio till he is all grown-up. Come Christmas Day, you make him ‘poop’ by beating him with sticks and singing various songs."

Cagatio1T.jpg

I just saw a cute little child having the time of his life doing this. Wow, what a cool and creative world in which we live!

Sweet...............:eusa_angel:

caga-tio-animation.jpg

DSC_3120.JPG

DSC_3138.JPG

DSC_3131.JPG

"For two weeks, you feed and care for the Caga Tio till he is all grown-up. Come Christmas Day, you make him ‘poop’ by beating him with sticks and singing various songs."

Cagatio1T.jpg

So you literally beat the shit out of it.

• Banned

caga-tio-animation.jpg

DSC_3120.JPG

DSC_3138.JPG

DSC_3131.JPG

Cagatio1T.jpg

So you literally beat the shit out of it.

Something like that...

Forum List

Back