Busted at 18, 33 years later an Ontario man says he lost his career to Ottawa's broken pot pardon process

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Some of you believe the "tough on crime approach" works. That's fine if it allow you to sleep at night. I'm rarely so black and white on issues and the definition of "tough" is quite subjective as is the method of "policing" and the target.

If you follow the Canadian system you will see your economy and prosperity as a whole collapse. This guy has a wife, three kids, a mortgage but cannot work due to a simple charge from 33 years prior. Read the comments and how little sympathy, many of them cops I'm sure; have for this man. It's frightening.

33 Years later his life is destroyed by some of the same hypocrites who smoke two packs of cigarettes a day, get shit face drunk and beat their wife and kids (but rarely charged, after all, they are one of the "good ones"). We have no business giving lectures to Russia or China and calling them police states, it's laughable considering what goes on in Canada.

Chris O'Neil of Stittsville, Ont., says he lost his job last week because of a 33-year-old conviction for possession of cannabis — the only criminal conviction he's ever had.

And he tells CBC News he's getting no help at all from the federal government's process for suspending criminal records for marijuana use.

The 51-year-old operations manager worked at a records management company that does business with the federal government. Because of his conviction, he couldn't get the necessary security clearance.

He was just 18 years old when he was caught smoking a joint by the Trenton Police Service — a police force that no longer exists.

After he lost a business to the pandemic's economic effects, O'Neil said, securing the job with the records management company seemed to him a sign that he was starting "to bounce back out of that ... the effect that that has on your mind to find gainful employment, respected employment, with a good income."

The reason that people convicted of a crime, even a silly one like possession of Cannabis, rarely get granted security clearances isn't because of the seriousness of the crimes, it's because it's the best indicator how willing that person is to take laws (and subsequently, their obligations to protect classified information) seriously.

A person who disregards those laws that are inconvenient to their lifestyle aren't likely to be trustworthy with national secrets.

However, if you're upset that Cannabis was criminalized, you might want to have a conversation with the parliamentarians who, 40-years-ago, criminalized Cannabis. While you're having that conversation, take the subject up with the people who voted for those parliamentarians.

The reason that people convicted of a crime, even a silly one like possession of Cannabis, rarely get granted security clearances isn't because of the seriousness of the crimes, it's because it's the best indicator how willing that person is to take laws (and subsequently, their obligations to protect classified information) seriously.

A person who disregards those laws that are inconvenient to their lifestyle aren't likely to be trustworthy with national secrets.

However, if you're upset that Cannabis was criminalized, you might want to have a conversation with the parliamentarians who, 40-years-ago, criminalized Cannabis. While you're having that conversation, take the subject up with the people who voted for those parliamentarians.

This might be viable in some instances, except for the fact that many Canadians WITHOUT criminal records have been denied freedom and pursuit of happiness. Also, we aren't even pursuing positions that require security clearance.

Many Canadian represent nothing more than cattle, a perpetual slush fund for grossly bloated, dishonest institutions. There is no pardon process for plain clothed abuses nor transparency, public disclosure of agencies who defend pedophiles and criminals within their own ranks.

Just what I am aware of alone would be enough to drastically alter the worlds view of Canada. Police here like to engage in the method of accusing others of that which they engage in. Of course, like a wealthy woman trying to buy her way into heaven, with a word and a wave of their hand they get what they want and noone is the wiser.

Unfortunately for them there are some of us who have spread the truth.

This might be viable in some instances, except for the fact that many Canadians WITHOUT criminal records have been denied freedom and pursuit of happiness. Also, we aren't even pursuing positions that require security clearance.

I am willing to let Canadian's run Canada and not venture a single comment on the way they do it. After all, they have borders and ports of exit through which one can leave if they aren't happy.

I am willing to let Canadian's run Canada and not venture a single comment on the way they do it. After all, they have borders and ports of exit through which one can leave if they aren't happy.

That's disingenuous, especially considering that Canadian men died on European soil for liberty, not for fascist operations within their own borders back home. Applied and exploited by those who didn't risk a fingernail in war for my country.

Those who violate the liberty of others spit on their grave and I will never forgive them for this. Nor will I allow them the anonymity and secrecy they so treasure.

That's disingenuous, especially considering that Canadian men died on European soil for liberty

If I recall my history, Canadians, and other subjects of the Commonwealth, fought for King and Country, and not for their own liberties.

bc3352cb80f4d432cd6cee7c9b115018.jpg

Forum List

Back