Bush/McCain?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bonnie, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Im sure we have all heard this rumor, does anyone think it has teeth?

2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I'm not sure, but I keep hearing little snippets from GOP pundits that seem to point to a "surprise" during the convention. It sure does seem like McCain and Bush have really been cozying up to each other lately. Do you think Bush will run with Cheney and then, if he still wins, Cheney will step down? The only reason I could think of them doing something like that is that it keeps the LEFT from saying, "see, Bush is getting rid of his VP cuz he knows he made a mistake. He just won't admit it" or "blah, blah, blah". You know they would make SOMETHING out of it if Bush announced before the convention a change in his running mate.

I think there is about a 50/50 chance we will see it happen. I am leaning more toward Cheney staying, if for no other reason than the fact that Bush is VERY loyal.

I do suppose that it is POSSIBLE that Cheney might WANT to step down. If that is the case, Bush's loyalty would require that Bush let Cheney make the final decision. Bush would probably also rely on Cheney to name a replacement. Or at least recommend one.

3. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I hope not. First, the Democrats would make mileage out of it by claiming "panic" in the Bush administration. Second Cheney is far more conservative than Bush so his influence may help to keep the Republicans from acting more like Democrats. McCain on the other hand has no business calling himself a Republican. He is as liberal as the average Democrat.

It might not be a bad move to ask McCain to head the CIA or Homeland Security.

4. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    That's what Im thinking, maybe a cabinet post for McCain, reason being they are two peas in a pod lately, but I don't see Bush dropping Cheney as he is to straight up of a man to do that, but politics makes for strange bedfellows.

5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Sec of State or Sec of Defense....??

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Agreed --McCain IS liberal and I don't have a good feeling about his loyalty to anyone but himself. CFR was a disaster as we are all seeing now. One heartbeat away form the presidency? No way!! Rather have Rudy but only if Cheney decides to step down for his own reasons.

7. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Wouldn't that be something a Guiliani -Clinton rematch in 2008. If that were to happen though and Rudy lost Hillary could pick her husband to be vp........What a nightmare!!!! :mad:

8. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    I dont thnk Hillary could choose Bill as a running mate. For one, the President and VIce President must be natives of different states. Both Bill and Hillary have their place of Residence in New York. Second, to be eligible for Vice President you have to be eligible for the Presidency. Bill is no longer eligible since he served two terms. So you dont have to worry about that.

As for thte McCain thing, If Bush did ditch Cheney for the man who pushed through the incumbent protection act, then he will have serious problems with the Republican base. Besides I dont think Bush wants to make the favored candidate in 2008 McCain. I actually think he might be setting up so Jeb can run next. But regardless of who ends up running, i would vote for Lieberman before i voted for McCain. I dont care that John McCain was a war hero, that is irrellevant. What i dont like about him is his disregard for the First ammendment.

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I'd have to agre with you re Lieberman over McCain, but do you think Jeb would be a strong enough candidate to beat the witch?

10. ConchoBill

ConchoBill Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aint gonna happen. As has been said before, Bush is too loyal. If this was going to be done, it would have been done months ago. Bush-Guiliani would be a good ticket. McCain is a bona fide war hero (unlike Kerry IMO) and would probably give us a much better ticket, but Bush is too liberal. Really, I think Cheney belongs as Chief of Staff or something like that.